Feedback on cylinder pics

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Feedback on cylinder pics

Getting back at my 455 teardown and there was some water in the 5-7 cylinders.

I am taking to a machine shop for a dip and cleaning, but what do you think of this pic. Will it have to be machined. I was hoping to stay stock pistons.

Shop is also going to give me a price on putting everything back together. I am getting them to redo the heads but I was planning on taking my time and piecing it together myself. What is the opinion of doing it yourself vs a shop. I am not a mechanic but I am a tradesman who can turn a wrench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cylinder2.jpg (48.8 KB, 91 views)
austria 001.jpg (94.1 KB, 78 views)
cylinder.jpg (77.3 KB, 82 views)
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM

A little rusty, but a machine shop treatment should make short work of that. Between hot tanking and machining, it will end up all shiny and new. Be sure to hit that with some WD-40 right away and re-apply every so often to keep any and all moisture away from it so the rust doesn't get worse. I just recently saw some pics of a guy's engine that the pistons got too rusty and the cylinder wall cracked.

The bores will have to be measured before anyone could know for sure if they need to be bored any or just re-honed. Imho they don't look too bad. They have to be measured though since most peoples eyes can't see the difference between .001" and .002" (a dial bore gauge can see the difference).

Also, you may already know this, but the little "V" notches at the edge of the piston face indicate that you have the high compression pistons which yield about 10.1:1 if memory serves. (give or take a few - depending on bore diameter and head volume) Where as, low compression pistons have a circular notch. You probably won't be able to re-use the pistons if it needs to be bored out though.

If you want to know how an engine works, build it your self. If you don't really care, have somebody build it for you. I have a miserable need to know everything - so I'm planning to build my own engine myself.
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Follow up question...

Originally Posted by CLcutlass
but what do you think of this pic. Will it have to be machined...
What is the best way to clean the rust scale off the cylinder walls? Wire wheel, scotchbrite pad, etc.?

d1
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
this is not my car lol

best way is by using a cylinder hone, oil, and a slow speed drill. go up and down to create a 45 degree cross hatch pattern.

Old August 30th, 2011, 06:40 AM

That will need bored.You could hone it & do file-fit rings,but now your piston to wall clearance is too great.
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Do you have to bore all eight...I am thinking yes.
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Yes.
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Ok-since this topic is semi-related. I have a couple of other questions:

If the internal parts are being removed to be machined:
1) Does one need to mark the connecting rods & rod caps per cylinder locaton if they will be shot peened, reground, etc?
2) When removing the old pistons from the block, is removing them through the top of the cylinder the only method?

I am at the point now where I want to remove the crankshaft and am not certain on the best way to attack the process.

d1

Last edited by defiant1; August 30th, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Coltonis

Also, you may already know this, but the little "V" notches at the edge of the piston face indicate that you have the high compression pistons which yield about 10.1:1 if memory serves. (give or take a few - depending on bore diameter and head volume) Where as, low compression pistons have a circular notch. You probably won't be able to re-use the pistons if it needs to be bored out though.
The notch on the piston tells the installer what way to face the piston and rod assembly. The notches point toward the front of the engine.
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:54 PM

The pistons can only come out through the top.A lot of people like to mark the rods for the cylinder/journal they came from,but it is not absolutely neccessary unless you are doing a stock re-ring & bearing job,and no machine work.
Old September 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM

machine shop says it needs to be bored...guess my pistons are for sale