455 Oil Pan issue :(

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM

455 Oil Pan issue :(

Well first I want to thank 2Blu442 for getting me back in the game with a replacement oil filter adapter. That was very nice of him to send one out to me. Though I kept having this leak and thought perhaps it was the oil pan plug. Come to find out I have a pinhole leak in the pan We were a little worried about using it as it did have some rust, but we cleaned it all out. I know I need to change the pan now, but any other ways to stop the leak? Perhaps by welding or trying JB Weld? It is just when it sits in the pan it leaks. While running it is fine. Now can I replace the pan with the motor in or will it be pull everything back out again? Thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:52 PM

The best thing would be to replace the pan because you dont know how thin the metal is there where the hole is. To change the pan you need to jack the engine up some off the mounts. It would be hard to braze up the hole with a torch cause oil will keep oozing from within even if its empty. You could try the sheetmetal screw with rubber washer for a temp fix.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks Oldsmaniac. So will I hopefully be able to keep the headers on and just jack the motor up some after unbolting the mounts? I do not want to fight those headers again. I finally got them to stop leaking.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:51 PM

If you want to replace your damaged pan I can send you a solid used one. Pictures on my photobucket site of a couple.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/2blu442/Engines/

Let me know if your interested and I'll get the total costs including shipping for you. John
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you plan to do a bigger repair job at a later date, and just want to do a Band-Aid for a while, JB-Weld will work fine. Just drain the oil and clean the pan off really well with solvent and a wire brush, and push some in over and around the hole, tapering its thickness at the edges.
Not a "proper" or a permanent fix, but it'll get you down the road.

- Eric
Old August 24th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Thanks John and sent you a PM on that pan. I think I may try that MD just to see what happens. I mean it cannot hurt It will leave a pretty large puddle if it sits a week. Once I fix that and find my leaky transmission issue I will be much happier. Thanks for the info!