Mechanic Quotes.....

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Mechanic Quotes.....

I took my Cutlass with a "rebuilt" 455 into the local shop for a new rear end and to install thick head gaskets to lower the compression for pump gas. I had the heads rebuilt (from engine builder), and the local shop (Them) it was my decision for them to install new adjustable rockers, pushrods, cam and lifters, timing set and balancer.

3 weeks later I got the car back and it had a loud ticking in passenger side valve cover....

Them: That's just your crossover plug rattling
Me: Sounds more like a lifter

Them: Take it for a drive over the weekend and run it hard.
Me: I don't trust the motor. A lifter sounds bad and it seems like a cylinder isn't firing.
Them: Quit worrying so much. Run it hard.

I drove about 8 miles and temp gauge started climbing into the 240+ range. I pulled over, loosened the radiator cap and bled the air out. Stopped at the same engine builders who rebuilt my heads and had them look at the motor. They noticed the ticking sound and asked if tolerances were checked when the parts were installed. Since it appears they weren't, I scheduled an appointment to bring my car in next week. They said they would check everything and it seemed like a simple fix. Temp ran at 195 for 8 miles back home...

Took my car back to local shop.....

Me: Did you bleed the air from the radiator when you refilled it?
Them: Oh...no I didn't.

Me: The ticking is worse and it's not the crossover plug.
Them: Yes it is worse. I'll adjust the rockers. You'll need another set of valve cover gaskets. (set #3 I've purchased)

Them: You were right. A rocker was loose.
Me: Are you going to check the other side and make sure the rockers are tight there?
Them: No, that's not necessary.I've tightened it down and put the valve cover back on.

Started motor and ticking was still loud......

Them: I'll pull the valve cover back off. You'll need another valve cover gasket. (now it's set #4)

Them: I can't tighten the rocker anymore. I pulled it off and your pushrod tip is galled. The lifters and cam look good tho.
Me: Why did this happen?
Them: I don't know, but you'll need a new pushrod and a new turkey tray (turkey tray #3 that I've purchased).

Me: Did you check the rocker to see if it's damaged by the cup?
Them: No.
Them: Your right, it is damaged.
Me: Did you check the others to see if they are damaged?
Them: No, but i will now.
Them: They look fine. Just the one pushrod and rocker. I couldn't tighten it down anymore before I took it off.
Me: Why is it that way?
Them: I don't know.

I ordered 2 replacement pushrods, turkey tray, valve cover gaskets, and 2 rockers. Seems like I need a spare to replace a damaged part.

Me: Box up all my parts on Monday. I'm towing my car to the engine builders on Tuesday and we will sit down and discuss my bill here.....

I'm surprised I've kept my cool for so long. I'm pissed, but rather proud at my restraint tho it may not last for long once we go over the bill.....
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Geez... Somethin just aint right about this picture...

Buy some rubber valve cover gaskets - they are reusable. Just tack them to the covers around the bolt holes with sealant.

I feel for ya - this is one reason i do not want to get my motor rebuilt until it really needs it.
Hope it gets better.
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This is one reason why I will NOT pay people to do work for me.

- Eric
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:07 PM

FWIW, I've reused turkey trays multiple times, without problem.

Also, your cam is most likely ruined.

Good luck,
Lee
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM

"Them: I can't tighten the rocker anymore. I pulled it off and your pushrod tip is galled. The lifters and cam look good tho."

Did they or did they not install ADJUSTABLE rockers? What the F$%Y are they doing tightening down and ADJUSTABLE rocker ALL THE WAY? Dude, I have to say...RUN AWAY!!! That mechanic has no business working on your car, especially when you're paying him.
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Oldsdruid

If their mistake and half-assed work, why are you paying for gaskets, or for that matter anything? Granted, they're cheap, but I guarantee 100% markup buying them thru their shop.

I'm at a point in life I don't have time to fool with major mechanical anymore, so I sometimes have to trust someone to service my stuff, but most are aware I have done my share of wrenching and won't be bullshitted about something.
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:47 AM

There are waaayyyy too many people out there that do NOT know what they are doing.They have no business building or working on an engine,or even a car.This also makes it harder for the people that actually do know what they are doing,to make the potential customer feel comfortable with them.
I do agree that if they are the ones making the mistakes,they should be buying the additional gaskets & parts.They are the ones that caused the problems.
Old August 15th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Past Administrator

Ughhh! Hurts my mind reading this. I feel for ya.
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

I wonder if he replaced the piston return springs?
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM

I actually feel better now that I've vented I hope my post didn't sound like I was slamming ALL mechanics. That was never my intent as I know there are many truly skilled ones out there.

This forum has been very helpful and enabled me to ask questions to the local shop. Most of the answers I received from them caused me concern, but I wouldn't have know otherwise without all the help on this site.

I bought the multiple gaskets to avoid the shop markup and keep them moving. Another part of this is that they are good friends. I've learned a tough lesson and was pretty naive about this when it all began. The amount I've paid the local shop so far is just for the rear end and head gasket installation.

Once I get my car back from the engine builder's, I'll find out the full extent of the damage, mistakes, and extra parts. I'll then address this with the local shop.

I mainly wanted to pass on my hard lesson to others that are in my position before this began. Hopefully they can avoid this journey. Don't take someone's word that they know what they are doing. Do the research on the shops so it can be done right the first time!

I appreciate all the feedback. I finally slept through the night
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:11 AM

People tend to view others as either "mechanic" or "not a mechanic" - but it isn't that simple.

When I was a teenager, back in the early 80's, I got a job at the local Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC dealer. I was hired as the stockboy for the parts department. I got along with everyone, and would help out some of the mechanics when things got slow. I quickly realized there were THREE disctinct groups of people that worked on the cars.

1. Grease Monkeys - these people can find the zerk fittings and pump grease, and USUALLY change the oil without destroying the motor. DO NOT let them do more than that!

2. Parts Changers - these can typically change out caps & rotors, perform a brake job, change a leaky gasket. They can compentently (usually) fix something that is obviously broken.

3. "Mechanics" - Very few of these, as most people with the required amount of intelligence usually find some other career. THESE are the guys that can figure out WHY something broke, and keep it from happening again.

Granted, there are also some "master" mechanics out there. There was one at the Cadillac dealership I worked at, and GM flew him up several times for direct meetings with engineers - a very rare breed!

Lee