64 Dynamic 88

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM

64 Dynamic 88

I just recently acquired a 1964 Dynamic 88 and have a few questions for all you experts out there. From what I've been reading it has a 394 v8 in it but not sure of which one such as high comp. or low comp. and so on. The car not be run in five years so I want to rebuild the carb. and check out the fuel tank. Any other suggestions? Also I wanted to find out if parts were interchangeable with any other models and what they were. Thanks in advance for your time.

Karl
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:46 AM

If it's the original paint, the high compression engine is an orange/ reddish color. There was a sticker on the aircleaner lid indicating if it was a high compression engine as well, but these fall off or get painted sometimes.

If it hasn't run in that long, I would remove the sparkplugs and squirt a mixture of 50 / 50 kerosene and motor oil and let it soak for a few days. the, with the plugs still out, try turning the engine over by hand using a swing handle and socket on the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt. Turn it over a revolution and a half if you can, and squirt some more oil in the cylinders. This will lubricate the rings, cylinder walls and hopefully free up any stuck rings.

After another day of soaking, turn it over a few times by hand to push the excess oil out the sparkplug holes and put your plugs back in.

The tanks I have seen don't have a drain plug, so you will have to siphon out any old gas from the tank. If you have an old electric fuel pump, you can connect it to the fuel line by the engines mechanical fuel pump and pump it dry there after siphoning out the bulk of the old gas.

Before you touch the carb, I would put some fresh fuel in and try and start it. You might be surprised. If it starts, it'll smoke a little until the cylinders are clear of the oil. Don't run it long before changing the oil.