What at the main issues that cause of a 455 to overheat?

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM

What at the main issues that cause of a 455 to overheat?

I have a 455 that I'm putting into my car a little down the track, hopefully this year. I'm new to 455's never run one before, but I keep reading or hearing that they overheat easy.

Now my motor of choice is the flathead ford, to many these are hot water heaters and the myth exists that they overheat too. I know this to be BS. I have a blown motor in my hotrod and I got stuck in traffic the other day for 15 minutes , with the electric fan on it got to 205 that was in 90 degree weather 14lb cap.

So I guess I want to know what people think are the causes of the concerns to overheating. I have read a fair few threads which seem specific.

I know there are some general things you can do for any engine,

good block prep- clean it out of any scale etc.
good clearances
good oil
good decent size radiator
good fan
timing

But as I don't know the idiosyncrasies of the olds motors I thought I would ask the experts.

Like the flatheads of the day, the 455's lived in cars that were driven everyday, I would have thought if they were that bad, then olds would have pulled them due to to many warranty issues with over heating.

so what do you think is necessary to make a nice street motor able to cope with todays traffic ( as my car is driven daily)

My radiator is good and I will be keeping the stock one for the time ( 55 olds) as it runs cool, 100+ weather and the car doesn't get to 1/4 hot on the temp gauge in traffic.

interested in your thoughts. I have also posted the over on ROP for opinions.

thanks.
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Anything you have heard is false about 455's and a problem with overheating. You have covered the things that would make an engine run hot...things that are out of the normal. The 403 though has siameesed cylinders with no cooling jackets in between. A large overbore sometimes causes some cooling problems with these...
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks,

that is what I am trying to determine, it is true or just a perpetuated myth? As I have learnt from experience that the Flathead ford isn't a water heater and its probably the best known boiler to most engine people.