Supreme Headers

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Supreme Headers

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm also pretty sure the application info is wrong because it also says that the headers won't fit Cutlass Supremes...
I recently bought a set of headers for my 71 cutlass supreme. Everywhere I read for headers it said it wouldn't fit cutlass supreme models, but would fit every other oldsmobile with a 350 in it.. The manufacturers response in all cases was that the engine in a Cutlass Supreme was offset... I eventually found headers for the car, but they're supposedly custom for cutlass supreme models.. Maybe I should make a new thread for this, but hearing you say that has aroused my curiousity once more. Was wondering if anyone can verify a difference that makes the cutlass supreme "different." Heres a link to the headers I found http://www.hedman.com/products/?id=3479&rsku=9271

Also, Appledorn. Before you try and start your car do you pump on the gas pedal a few times? I have a 71 Cutlass with a 350 in it. In some cases I have to press the gas pedal 10 times or more to prime the engine enough for it to start. Otherwise it'll just sit there and keep cranking. Even after it's started sometimes its still not quite getting enough fuel on its own (unless its choking itself of course) I press on the gas and let it rev for a while. As soon as she's warmed up she runs like a dream. Give her a chance...
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by erke88
I recently bought a set of headers for my 71 cutlass supreme. Everywhere I read for headers it said it wouldn't fit cutlass supreme models, but would fit every other oldsmobile with a 350 in it.. The manufacturers response in all cases was that the engine in a Cutlass Supreme was offset... I eventually found headers for the car, but they're supposedly custom for cutlass supreme models.. Maybe I should make a new thread for this, but hearing you say that has aroused my curiousity once more. Was wondering if anyone can verify a difference that makes the cutlass supreme "different." Heres a link to the headers I found http://www.hedman.com/products/?id=3479&rsku=9271
I moved your post to a new thread because it's really a different topic. You apparently missed my sarcasm "smilie". As noted time and again in this and ever other Olds online forum, there is absolutely NO difference between the Supreme and any other Cutlass as far as header fitment is concerned. Many of us have personally installed these "don't fit Supremes" headers in lots of Cutlass Supremes with no problems (other than the normal header fitment problems that occur in every Olds). I have also discussed this with several header manufacturers and been blown off every time. Just ignore those footnotes.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Also, Appledorn. Before you try and start your car do you pump on the gas pedal a few times? I have a 71 Cutlass with a 350 in it. In some cases I have to press the gas pedal 10 times or more to prime the engine enough for it to start. Otherwise it'll just sit there and keep cranking. Even after it's started sometimes its still not quite getting enough fuel on its own (unless its choking itself of course) I press on the gas and let it rev for a while. As soon as she's warmed up she runs like a dream. Give her a chance...

Either the choke is not working properly or you have a fuel drain back issue.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Oldsdruid

I wish I knew where that "offset engine in Supremes" myth came from. The ONLY offset engine in Oldsmobile chassis is the Toronado, and that's to accommodate the front wheel drive transmission and final drive.

Some engines in some chassis might have a spacer in one of the motor mounts; if that's the case, my Custom Cruiser has an "offset engine". My 73 88 had an "offset engine". My 74 Hurst has an "offset engine". You never see that "doesn't fit due to offset engine" in those applications.

Just remember you read it here, where the Oldsgods live. Cutlass headers fit in Cutlass Supremes. The engine placement in the chassis is identical between the two cars.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:05 AM

How do I check for a fuel drain back issue? Its never really been an issue for concern cus I only have trouble starting up. Once started theres no issue really, its just starting it up takes a few pumps of the gas pedal before I try to crank it.

Yeah I couldn't believe it when they told me supremes are an exception. I asked for more clearification, but they wouldn't give it to me. I just bought the cutlass supreme headers so the warranty is still valid on them and they cant say its a mis-application. But even with these "special" headers I had to grind away a piece of my control arm and grind a piece of the frame away. So much for exact fit... They're small print says modifications may be needed. Is anything different in the way the engine compartment is in a supreme compared to another cutlass? Like steering boxes or anything? Thought maybe this was the issue they were referring to, that something just gets in the way with typical headers so you gotta get the "special" ones. Also, I know some chevy motors were thrown into Oldsmobile, could this also be how a myth got started? That the two engines are different?

Im not really concerned about anything. Its just been gnawing away at my curiousity.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:36 AM

How do I check for a fuel drain back issue? Its never really been an issue for concern cus I only have trouble starting up. Once started theres no issue really, its just starting it up takes a few pumps of the gas pedal before I try to crank it.
If it only takes a few pumps then it starts. Maybe a fuel drain back issue. More like a choke adjustment issue. But then if you don't drive it often. Then it maybe just part of pump loosing prime and waiting for fuel to get the carb. If it like that and you only drive it once a week or so. Then doubt if it is even a issue.

They're small print says modifications may be needed. Is anything different in the way the engine compartment is in a supreme compared to another cutlass? .
Under the hood they are twins.

Also, I know some chevy motors were thrown into Oldsmobile, could this also be how a myth got started? That the two engines are different?
Not V8 engines. At least not from the factory. The late 70's is when the factory started doing that. The Chevy and Olds V8 are completely different and would require headers made for that make. So a Cutlass with a Chevy V8 would require headers for a Chevelle.

So if you have a early 70's Cutlass with a Olds V8 it would use header made for Olds and being that the Supreme and regular Cutlass are the same under the hood so they would use the same headers.

The only difference is between the the big block and small block. Being that the big block has a taller deck height so it would need taller headers.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; August 29th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Thought i went crazy moving this thread

I had the same problem, i mounted a clear feulfilter and saw it drain back.
Bought me the chrome feulpump from summit and it works how it suposed to be.

It is not original, but fusick sell's only AC one's 69/ 70' 88Delta pump's.

It start's faster without pressing the gaspedal and my starter is not that hot anymore
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Yeah I couldn't believe it when they told me supremes are an exception. I asked for more clearification, but they wouldn't give it to me. I just bought the cutlass supreme headers so the warranty is still valid on them and they cant say its a mis-application. But even with these "special" headers I had to grind away a piece of my control arm and grind a piece of the frame away. So much for exact fit... They're small print says modifications may be needed. Is anything different in the way the engine compartment is in a supreme compared to another cutlass? Like steering boxes or anything? Thought maybe this was the issue they were referring to, that something just gets in the way with typical headers so you gotta get the "special" ones. Also, I know some chevy motors were thrown into Oldsmobile, could this also be how a myth got started? That the two engines are different?

Im not really concerned about anything. Its just been gnawing away at my curiousity.
Everything from the firewall forward is the same. I don't what made them think its any different, but I just put a set of 3902 hooker headers on my 70 Supreme. Which according to hooker they shouldn't fit, but they fit perfect no problems at all.
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wasted
Everything from the firewall forward is the same. I don't what made them think its any different, but I just put a set of 3902 hooker headers on my 70 Supreme. Which according to hooker they shouldn't fit, but they fit perfect no problems at all.
Wish I would have just went with my gut then instead of the manufacturers. Thanks all for the info. Gonna look into my fuel issue. Probably a combo of fuel draining back and a choke adjustment.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM

I mounted a transparent filter for checking.
Mounted it the day i bought my olds to see how much dirt could be in the tank.
But it stay'd clean so i mounted a aluminium one so i do not see how much it is consuming
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I currently do have a see through filter. Theres always fuel in it. Is that how you check for a fuel drain issue?
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM

Yes, mine was leaking streight back again when i shut the engine.
Sometimes left me a drop or so but not enough to start.

I think it was the old age of the pump, and that i had it left on the shelve a while.
While making my 455 engine ready to put in.

With youre problem i would say a vacuum leak ore something, and would check the carb and sealing. and the choke to.

If someone is with you could check the filter when you start it it would flush streight in to the carb while atempting to start.