? about intake manifold, HEI, and 4bbl on a 69 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:26 PM

? about intake manifold, HEI, and 4bbl on a 69 Delta 88

Hey, I have updated my 69 olds (455) with a new Edelbrock intake manifold, a 4 bbl q-jet that I actually bought from a guy on this site that rebuilds them, and an HEI ignition system. Fact is, I am not overly impressed with the performance and would rather have all of the old stuff put back on the car. Out of curiosity, how much do you think could sell the stuff for? Again, it fits the 455 of my 69 Delta 88. All of the parts listed were put on the car about two years ago and have less than 500 miles on them. What do ya think? I would have placed this in the for sale part of the forum, but I needed to know what a fair asking price would be.
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:43 AM

What was the old stuff? the Q jet would have been stock on a 4 barrel car. Is everything tuned properly and the rest of the engine up to par? I converted my 70 Cutlass from 2 to 4 brl Edlebrock. Off the line performance really isn't much better with the 4 until the secondaries kick in. It wasn't a big night to day change but the 4 did give better overall performance. I still have a points ignition. I may someday switch to a stock type iron 4 brl manifold and Q jet, less trouble with the aluminum to iron sealing problem.
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Gaz Hog
Hey, I have updated my 69 olds (455) with a new Edelbrock intake manifold, a 4 bbl q-jet that I actually bought from a guy on this site that rebuilds them, and an HEI ignition system. Fact is, I am not overly impressed with the performance and would rather have all of the old stuff put back on the car. Out of curiosity, how much do you think could sell the stuff for? Again, it fits the 455 of my 69 Delta 88. All of the parts listed were put on the car about two years ago and have less than 500 miles on them. What do ya think? I would have placed this in the for sale part of the forum, but I needed to know what a fair asking price would be.
What kind of performance increase were you looking for? The HEI won't do much for performance. It is mainly designed to avoid wear on the points that detracts from performance. A brand new set of properly adjusted point will be no different from a HEI. As noted, the stock carb is a Qjet, so I'm not sure why you would expect to see a difference. You didn't tell us what the old manifold was, what the new Edelbrock is, or what else was done to the car. Simply bolting an intake to a motor won't do much unless you upgrade other systems. For example, to take advantage of better intake flow, you need to also reduce exhaust restriction. I think too many people fall into the trap of expecting a 50 HP boost with simple bolt-ons. Not gonna happen (well, with the exception of nitrous...).
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:03 PM

I guess I was hopping for better overall performance...truth-be-told, I wanted to be able to squall the tires at my own indiscretion. Everything was original when I got the car...including the 2bbl carb. I put the 4 q-jet on it and didn't feel much of a change...a little, but nothing to brag about. Thatis why I am wanting to change back over.

The stuff I changed was again, the 2 to 4 bbl, Edelbrock performance intake manifold, and the HEI ignition. Did the 69 delta 88's come with an option for a 4bbl? I can't find oem intake manifolds for one. And the Edelbrock sits so high, that I had to get an ugly aftermarket air cleaner for it too. Either way, just wondering what I might be able to sell the stuff for...I kept all the original equipment.
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:43 PM

Which manifold are you talking about, the Performer? Torker? Something more exotic? What is the carb number?
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK, the change from a 2bbl to 4bbl should make a noticeable improvement, so something else is wrong. Stock 4bbl intakes for a big block Olds are very common and relatively inexpensive used. Not sure why you had trouble finding one.
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:18 PM

I have a question what Edlebrock intake you only said a performance one. Does this mean performer or something else. The Performer would be aftermarket intake that would work the best with a stock engine. If its the Torker then that's the problem the wrong intake its designed for power band starting at 2,500 RPM.
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I have a question what Edlebrock intake you only said a performance one. Does this mean performer or something else. The Performer would be aftermarket intake that would work the best with a stock engine. If its the Torker then that's the problem the wrong intake its designed for power band starting at 2,500 RPM.

I got the model of the intake wrong, it is Performer vs. Performance.

And I guess I questioned the whole 4bbl thing in the first place, because most every general replacement parts place, when looking for replacements for carbs I (for awhile) had only seen options for a 2bbl...even in two different Olds specific catalogs.

Where might I find a stock 4bbl manifold? I read that the height on the performer is 4 something inches and the stock is 2 1/2...would be the issue with my clearance issues too.

Last edited by Gaz Hog; March 31st, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM

I would think even with the two barrel you'd be able to burn up tires, I could with my stock two barrel on my 350 Cutlass. Remember that with a 4 barrel you are only running on two barrels for much of the time and those two primaries are for fuel efficiency but once the secondaries kick in or you floor it from a stop/near stop your tires should spin and the car screw, though lots of burn outs are not good for the drivetrain. Anyway there should be a noticable increase in performance but your not going to get your head snapped back from those changes alone.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Destructor
I would think even with the two barrel you'd be able to burn up tires, I could with my stock two barrel on my 350 Cutlass. Remember that with a 4 barrel you are only running on two barrels for much of the time and those two primaries are for fuel efficiency but once the secondaries kick in or you floor it from a stop/near stop your tires should spin and the car screw, though lots of burn outs are not good for the drivetrain. Anyway there should be a noticable increase in performance but your not going to get your head snapped back from those changes alone.
Yes, this is one reason it is just not really worth it to me and that I wish to return to OE. Again, if I could find an original 4bbl intake and air cleaner, I would do that, but I have been unsuccessful. And the thing about the peeling out, when I am sitting next someone at a stoplight, I want it to be my choice as to whether or not he passes me at the go. Not that I plan to do it regularly. The other thing though, is that this thing is a lead sled and I suppose is built for comfort and power, not necessarily great speeds, although it does have the giddy-up.