Rochester 4gc carb help needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2010, 01:26 PM
Registered Grease Monkey

Rochester 4gc carb help needed!!!!

I recently converted my 394 from 2bbl to a 4bbl. I had bought a rebuilt "Bolt N Go" 4bbl Rochester 4GC in late October of 09 I finally got everything put together and started the car. When I started it(for all of about 10 seconds) I noticed that there was gas shooting out of the top of the carb like a water fountain. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there is a hard cork or gasket like material packed into 2 ports on the top of the carb(see pic below). Im no carb guru, but I dont believe its supposed to be like that. It looks as though the rebuilder may have put the carb upside down on some gasket material, and may not have noticed that it was plugged? Do I remove the material/and should that stop my problem? If I do have to remove the material, whats the best way to go about it? Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks-Kris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102_0080.jpg (64.5 KB, 45 views)
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:33 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

I had something like that on my rebuilt q-Jet I got last week, but it was paper that was in there. Maybe they did that for shipping purposes to keep crud from going down those vents. Either way its not supposed to be there. As for the "fountain of gas" could you actually tell exactly where is was coming from?
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Registered Grease Monkey

It was coming from the secondary floats. I pulled the top of the carb off and and the floats were sticking. I got that all straight now....but now I cant get the leather material plunger to seat properly to put it back together????? When I do assemble it, and get the top of the carb flush ready to screw down-the pump doesnt operate...its just stuck in the most upright position. Is there a trick to it? I read my book, and it just states to assemble the opposite of disassemble-which does me no good

HEEEEELP!!!!!

Thanks, RougeBeats a.k.a "Frustrated in Detroit"
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:07 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by rougebeats
It was coming from the secondary floats. I pulled the top of the carb off and and the floats were sticking. I got that all straight now....but now I cant get the leather material plunger to seat properly to put it back together????? When I do assemble it, and get the top of the carb flush ready to screw down-the pump doesnt operate...its just stuck in the most upright position. Is there a trick to it? I read my book, and it just states to assemble the opposite of disassemble-which does me no good

HEEEEELP!!!!!

Thanks, RougeBeats a.k.a "Frustrated in Detroit"

It's tough to tell exactly what you mean and what's going on w/o seeing it. Is the pump linkage flipped around where the linkage is holding the plunger rod from going down, or is the plunger itself hanging from dryness or being hung/caught in some way? Check that the linkage f/ the accelerator pump is hooked up/installed correctly. I hate to tell you this and you say to yourself, I know that, Stupid! Is that carb rebuilder near you? Maybe go back to him f/ advice. Floats can hang if the carb is turned upside down prior to installation, but otherwise they shouldn't have hung. Does he "owe you one?" Wish I were there.
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sometimes the floats or float arms get slightly bent and do not travel through their range properly. Check to make sure they are straight so you do not get any binding in the future.

As far as the accelerator pump goes, squirt some wd40 in the hole for lubrication and then try to reassemble. The leather might be getting hung up because it is dry. Also, check to make sure the the pump is seated properly in the return spring. The pump spring itself should be on there straight and not crooked. If it is, it can cause binding as well.

Hope that helps.
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:08 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Sometimes the floats or float arms get slightly bent and do not travel through their range properly. Check to make sure they are straight so you do not get any binding in the future.

As far as the accelerator pump goes, squirt some wd40 in the hole for lubrication and then try to reassemble. The leather might be getting hung up because it is dry. Also, check to make sure the the pump is seated properly in the return spring. The pump spring itself should be on there straight and not crooked. If it is, it can cause binding as well.

Hope that helps.
If those float arms are bent, then the rebuilder screwed up. If you flip the carb in your hand, they can hang up bent or not.