Yet Another 425 Thread. How do I remove this?

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Registered Abuser

Yet Another 425 Thread. How do I remove oil filler tube?

I finally got the chunk of iron out of the car and am disassembling for its trip to the machine shop. I want to remove the oil filler tube, but I don't want to damage it. How is this accomplished?

Also, I was wondering what that little tab that sits just under the top left corner of the timing gear case. What is it? How should I pull that before it hits the hot tank?

This is going to be a street car that is going to run the stock two barrel for now with a possible upgrade to a quadrajet and a overdrive trans. I need a direction for a cam that is only slightly better than stock. Specs or a company and or a part number would be appreciated.

It's a '66 by the way. 45 degree angle, but a quick pointer as to how to verify would be appreciated.

Last edited by Red Delta; July 20th, 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Poor title. :D
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM

On the oil filler tube, wrap some cloth around it, and then tap it side to side with a rubber mallet. A little PB Blaster where it goes into the block helps.

That little plate is the oil filler baffle. It prevents oil fron slinging up to the cap. Take it out for hot tanking, and then put it back during the rebuild.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by My442
On the oil filler tube, wrap some cloth around it, and then tap it side to side with a rubber mallet. A little PB Blaster where it goes into the block helps.

That little plate is the oil filler baffle. It prevents oil fron slinging up to the cap. Take it out for hot tanking, and then put it back during the rebuild.

PB Blaster?
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Like WD-40 but better. I've just grabbed the oil fill tube with my hands and rocked it back and forth. Sometimes they're loose enough to remove that way.

I believe that's a baffle and since it's metal I'd leave it there during the hot tanking.
John
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM

I left the baffle in place during my rebuild and it didn't budge. The oil fill tube should come off without too much trouble. PB Blaster is great stuff, you can get it at any auto parts store.
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM

Grab that metal baffle plate with pliers and it should pull right out....never had a problem with them getting stuck and if it goes to hot tank it may not be there when block comes back. Oil fill tubes can be a pain, trick is to get out without denting. The wiggle works at times, sometimes a pipe wrench near base and try to turn back ond forth to get loose.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Grab that metal baffle plate with pliers and it should pull right out....never had a problem with them getting stuck and if it goes to hot tank it may not be there when block comes back. Oil fill tubes can be a pain, trick is to get out without denting. The wiggle works at times, sometimes a pipe wrench near base and try to turn back ond forth to get loose.

Crumbs. I completely gave up on pulling that out and sent it to the shop with it still attached. Hopefully they will pull it off before they dunk it.