Procomp HEI distibutor opinion

Old June 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Procomp HEI distibutor opinion

Has anyone used the Procomp HEI distributor? The price looks good, and so does the part, but how is it....really???
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:37 AM

I've never used the Procomp HEI distributor but I converted my 394 engine to run on a Pertronix variable reluctance Flamethrower kit. It worked well. I am also putting a Summit HEI distributor on my 455 that I am building. Unless you are racing you aren't going to notice a difference between a stock HEI distributor and a high dollar one. Either way, HEI is superior to points.
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Make sure your intake manifold will work with the hei early edelbrock 0B4 and others wont fit because of the size of that unit.
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Not tring to Hijack this one thread, but a follow up question on the same topic might help.

If the HEI won't fit the O4B intake, will it fit the regular Edelbrock Performer intake? (Not the RPM with the higher carb mount)

Also, because the HEI is a bit bigger (5 1/4" diameter) with the coil on top than the stock points distributor will it clear the stock intake? I've heard conflicting stories. If not, any suggestions? I've got an OAI assembly and I've been wrestling with going HEI (Pro Comp) as well with my 72' supreme that has a 350.

Last edited by #1CutlassSupreme; June 5th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm running a Procomp on the engine test stand. It's not bad. Made in Australia if I remember correctly.

Beware of Proform their stuff is forged from 100% Chinesium.

Captjim on here had a problem with his. It wouldn't work when hot. Other than that, people have had decent success in stockish applications.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I would use a pertronix kit in your points distributor before I bothered with an HEI.
There won't be any fitment issues if you use what the car came with.
It also runs pretty well.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I have been told by email by edelbrock there new intake manifolds will fit engines with HEI.
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
I have been told by email by edelbrock there new intake manifolds will fit engines with HEI.

What new intakes? What's an OB4 intake?
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
What new intakes? What's an OB4 intake?
New Intake would be the Edelbrock Performer intake. The O4B intake was an early Edelbrock Intake made for Oldsmobile that had a higher intake provile over all. If I'm not mistaken O4B stood for "Oldsmobile 4 Barrel."
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I would use a pertronix kit in your points distributor before I bothered with an HEI.
There won't be any fitment issues if you use what the car came with.
It also runs pretty well.
I kind of agree with keeping it close to stock. I actually bought a kit to eliminate the points in my stock distributor last year. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of upgradeing.

I don't necessarily want to futz with drilling out the dist housing, and running a bunch of new wires. And I like the simplicity of the HEI with a one wire hook up right to the fuze block.

On the other hand I don't know if I want to risk having fitmet issues with the OAI air cleaner.

How come the answer is never easy?!
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by #1CutlassSupreme
I kind of agree with keeping it close to stock. I actually bought a kit to eliminate the points in my stock distributor last year. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of upgradeing.

I don't necessarily want to futz with drilling out the dist housing, and running a bunch of new wires. And I like the simplicity of the HEI with a one wire hook up right to the fuze block.

On the other hand I don't know if I want to risk having fitmet issues with the OAI air cleaner.

How come the answer is never easy?!
Would a Mallory work? Kinda looks stock.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Would a Mallory work? Kinda looks stock.
Not sure. I don't know much about them to be honest. I've read a few forums about Mallory and they don't seem to get good reviews. From what I understand they eliminate the vacuum advance which causes reliability issues (?).

Again, I'm not an ignition expert so feel free to help me out anyone...

If I have clearance issues with my HEI I'm thinking that I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade the original Dist with the Pertronix kit or possibly Unilite. At that point...I'll have a brand new HEI dist available if anyone is interested.