Heater control valve placement

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2019, 09:15 AM

Heater control valve placement

Hello all,

I've come to hopefully gather a few nuggets of knowledge. Here's my current situation, I have a 67' cutlass supreme holiday coupe that I've swapped the factory 330 with a 72' 455. The new motor came out of a boat and so far has been a pretty straight forward swap. My problem is the heater control valve placement. The motor came with an Edlebrock 455 torker manifold with a few brass plugs that are all but welded into the manifold. Ive attempted to remove the plugs using the wax/pb-blaster/wd-40 methods and no luck, well at least for the original HCV location plug. I did manage to remove two of the forward plugs which are sized to fit the water temp sensor. Beyond removing the rear plug which is in the place of the original HCV location, which I estimate to be about a 1" plug, the HCV threading is not nearly the same OD so I would have to find and or make an adapter to place the HCV in its intended original location. So my question is....Does the HCV absolutely need to be in the original location or can I move it to a forward location on the intake?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:04 AM

If it is a plug, why not start drilling it out. Start small and keep going bigger, till it gets thin enough to peel it out, and maybe use a little heat. once out, get a pipe tap, and chase the threads.
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Gary

The plug at the usual heater control valve location is 3/4" thread; others are 1/2" thread.

You can use the original location with a 3/4 x 1/2 bushing. Or use the 1971-2 heater control which is already 3/4".

Any of the coolant ports on the intake manifold can be used to mount the heater control valve. Using either of the rear ports results in a cleaner-looking installation.
Old April 16th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Awesome, I'm itching to get the car running, so for now I will use a forward location and then down the roa I will remove the intake and start the process of removing the brass plugs. Thanks for the reply.