I Picked Up The Lowest Mileage 455 In History, I Have Questions.

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2019, 10:34 AM

I Picked Up The Lowest Mileage 455 In History, I Have Questions.

Ok so I Found a 69 Toro 455 on craigslist and i picked it up for my Estate Wagon. it was sitting in a corner all covered in dirt and didn't even check to see if it would turn over, ok cool i got my self a 455 im thinking to my self. so we take the valve covers off when i get home and find it too clean inside to be true, then we notice factory paint markings on the valve springs, push rods, and heads. next we pull the intake to discover the valley looks as if it were hot tanked, pull the timing cover and not only does the nylon gear have all the teeth but its not even discolored its pure snow white with no play in the chain. looked closer at the heads because some of the valves were frozen and noticed there isn't any carbon in the exhaust crossover. had original plugs too. oil slinger, no stains, pull the pan and it looks as if this sucker was just rebuilt. also the tops of the valves are sharp and have no wear factor to them. it is clearly not a rebuild, all factory gaskets and oh i almost forgot the lifters are hardly worn to the cam. we are 90% sure we drained the factory oil out of this thing. my questions for you guys are how does a toro intake flow, does a toro intake use the standard 69 valley pan gasket and will i have clearance issues with the toro oil pan going in an 80s B body wagon?

i dont have pictures to post of this thing but i do have a detailed video of it coming apart.
seriously guys, check this thing out. its my guess that somebody totaled a brand new car and this motor has just been exchanging hands for the past 49 years. it was complete with fan, ac compressor and all accessorys as if it were pulled at a junkyard.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 09:05 PM

Dood, when you found just how nice it was inside you should have put new gaskets and timing set on it and run it. I guess I understand though, refresh everything. Rings, bearings, gaskets, and new cam too if you want even more performance. I suppose you could blueprint and balance if you're going max performance. Color me green. I thought mine was nice because the cam gear was still all in one piece but the cylinder walls had rusted in mine and need to be bored to clean up. Nice score!
Old April 2nd, 2019, 10:19 PM

This is the question that shouldn't be asked.....

What did you PAY FOR IT?!?!?!?

Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:16 AM

the heads do need work. the valves are pitted pretty bad and im ordering them now. yeah im just going to throw gaskets bearings rings and accessories. going to put a 496 520 cam in it and its going in my dads daily driver (1990 buick estate wagon) so not crazy on the performance side.

on the other hand i have a 70 455 in the machine shop at the moment for my 68 cutlass supreme, thats got a 520 542 lift cam, aluminum heads, single plane posiflow intake, forged flat tops long tubes, M20 with 308 posi lol. i figured while ones away at the shop its time to build the other.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:22 AM

LOL... $600. To be fair, i bought both this Toro motor and my 70 98 455 from the same guy at the same time so $1200 total for both. this guy had a room the size of your house filled with buick olds and Cadillac motors, had a few 425s too but i just picked up a set of W Z manifolds off him yesterday for $200 and he told me all the motors are sold now.
Old April 19th, 2019, 11:50 AM

So if this Toro motor has the large valves in it you realize you've basically picked a very low mileage W-30 spec motor for $600. Put a comp nostalgia grind cam in it and put it in an Olds of some kind!!! Great find!