Cutlass with toro oil pan

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Cutlass with toro oil pan

Before I put my 70 cutlass convertible away for winter, I decided to have a friend tackle a leaky oil pan gasket. This is a 455 out of a 70 toro ( stamp pad # 30m7xxxxx) it has the pan with the internal hump for the trans axle. I figured I would swap out the pan with a new big block cutlass/442 stock unit that I purchased. I was out of town when he went to work on the car. He did it on a lift while blocking the engine up to get enough clearance. He called me later that day and said that he got the old toro pan out and the cutlass pan in no problem but then said when he went to lower the engine the new pan would ready on the crossmember and not line up with mounts. I told him put the old pan back with the new gasket which he did. The good news is no more gasket leak but I wonder why the cutlass pan didn’t fit. The fan fits perfect in the shroud, so I think the motor mounts are the right ones otherwise the fan would strike the shroud. Any ideas?
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Achcoastal
Before I put my 70 cutlass convertible away for winter, I decided to have a friend tackle a leaky oil pan gasket. This is a 455 out of a 70 toro ( stamp pad # 30m7xxxxx) it has the pan with the internal hump for the trans axle. I figured I would swap out the pan with a new big block cutlass/442 stock unit that I purchased. I was out of town when he went to work on the car. He did it on a lift while blocking the engine up to get enough clearance. He called me later that day and said that he got the old toro pan out and the cutlass pan in no problem but then said when he went to lower the engine the new pan would ready on the crossmember and not line up with mounts. I told him put the old pan back with the new gasket which he did. The good news is no more gasket leak but I wonder why the cutlass pan didn’t fit. The fan fits perfect in the shroud, so I think the motor mounts are the right ones otherwise the fan would strike the shroud. Any ideas?
RWD pans came from the factory in Cutlass cars. Without photos it's impossible to say what the issue might be.