GM B body exhaust interchange?

Old January 10th, 2019, 11:21 AM

GM B body exhaust interchange?

Hi all.
Having some long term ideas to replace the exhaust on my 65 delta 88 for a throatier sound. I have searched the forum and found out that the exhaust manifold/header situation is complicated on the 425, so I’m looking into the exhaust from the collector and back. Haven’t found much for the delta 88, but it seems to be a lot avaliable for 65 impala. Are they similar enough so that a impala exhaust system would fit my delta? Also the bend over the rear axle?
Or do I have to custom build my own from standard bends/pipes?

thanks!

Last edited by Stoffe_G; January 10th, 2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old January 10th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Despite also being a B-body, the 1965-70 Impala/Caprice use a completely different frame, suspension, and floorpan from the Olds. For example, the Olds uses a conventional triangulated four link rear suspension. The Chevy uses a three link with panhard rod. As a result, the exhaust pipe routing is not the same. There are vendors who sell pre-bent exhaust systems for the Olds, but I don't know if they will make them in diameters larger than the OEM 2.25". I had this problem on my 67. I ended up getting a smoking deal on a set of pre-bent engine-to-muffler pipes ($40 for the pair, aluminized, 2.25"). I used Walker Dynomax Turbo Mufflers (21" case versions). I did not want to run stock 2.0" tailpipes so I made my own from 2.25" mandrel bends. Be aware that if the car is single exhaust now, you will need to get the reproduction "Starfire" exhaust manifold for the driver's side to clear the steering box with dual exhaust. Thorntons has one discounted on ebay right now.

Old January 10th, 2019, 01:46 PM

Thanks Joe, much appreciated!
I have come across the issues with clearing the steering box and the need for starfire manifold on some internet sources during my research. I have yet to decide if I’ll go that route or just try to spice up the current single exhaust setup.

So not a lot of similarities between olds/chevy b bodies in that area then. Do you have any insight on the relation with the other siblings from buick/pontiac?

And finally, any chance you could point me in the direction of a vendor for olds oem exhaust components? I have done some searches, but didn’t find much.

Thanks!
Old January 10th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Buick and Olds are similar in those years, but not identical. Same thing for Chevy and Pontiac. Cadillac was off by themselves. Despite similar outer sheetmetal, all had completely different frames and suspensions. This changed with the redesign for the 1971 model year, but that doesn't help you (or me with my 67). I have not used this ebay vendor, but they regularly advertise full single and dual exhaust systems in both stainless and aluminized steel. They claim to ship worldwide.
Old January 10th, 2019, 01:56 PM

Many thanks Joe!
Old January 10th, 2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I have not used this ebay vendor, but they regularly advertise full single and dual exhaust systems in both stainless and aluminized steel. They claim to ship worldwide.
I believe this vendor is Classic Exhaust. I have used them many times and I highly recommend if so. I would also highly recommend the S manifold and true duals with it. Dual exhaust makes a noticeable difference in performance and the factory fit of the system will look great.