J heads

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2018, 01:53 PM

J heads

One thing about the J heads, what do they go for cost wise? Can you even give the J heads away? I imagine they sit a while, especially since they are associated with being the inferior heads. When I take them off my engine, I'd worry about them taking space.
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I moved your post to its own thread as it had nothing to do with the others subject.
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:44 PM

i have two nice sets all original oiled and wrapped up sitting on the shelf ,doubt i could get 50 dollars a pair for them .there are guys who do work to them and get them flowing pretty well but unless you can do the work yourself its just not cost effective imo.for that matter even some of the better iron heads end up costing nearly the price of aluminums by the time you get them redone (at least in my neck of the woods)not an expert by no means on this subject by have read and researched plenty on this topic .by the way i have read articles on guys who run the j heads and are perfectly happy.
Old December 4th, 2018, 06:04 PM

All the factory heads have potential, it’s the return on investment that’s the issue. It takes a bunch of work to get the J heads equal to other factory heads. Then even more work to improve on the better quality factory heads.

If the iron heads need a bunch of machine work to properly rebuild them, your time and money ahead to not the bullet for the aftermarket heads. They are a 50-75 hp bolt on improvement.