Fresh Rebuild 67 442 PCV Sucking Oil

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2018, 12:51 PM

Unhappy Fresh Rebuild 67 442 PCV Sucking Oil

Hi Guys,
I just installed my 400 E Block back in my 67 442 and it smokes pretty badly. It was bored out 60 over all new bearings cam crankshaft reground. Stock intake and heads. Heads were redone last year before a rod went through the pan, and factory white valve seals(umbrella type) .. Anyway what I found was that the pcv valve was sucking oil pretty good. I removed the carb and found oil soaked all underneath on the gasket and bottom of carb, even looked down into the intake and was oily. I have gone through 3 pcv valves and still sucking oil. I thought maybe the baffles in my aftermarket chrome valve covers were to small, so I put the stock one back on. It runs very good but this oil issue is kicking my butt.. I need your help and thoughts on this.. You know how it is to put all this money into it and took my time to make sure everything went ok...Ahhhh I feel like I missed something.. Could I have screwed up the intake gasket? Just does not make sense to me because it runs so well...
Old October 30th, 2018, 02:00 PM

Is your PCV installed correctly? One way allows air passage and the other way blocks it.
Old October 30th, 2018, 03:08 PM

It is in the correct way... it only goes in one way. If it was blocked, I don't think it would be sucking in oil so badly?
Old October 30th, 2018, 03:32 PM

HMM I wonder if the drain holes on that head are partially blocked and there's excess oil ?? Thus oil is not draining down the pan sufficiently? I hooked my PVC valve up manifold vacuum in the front of the Q-jet. 67 400E in my 64 F-85. Oil pressure good?

Old October 30th, 2018, 03:50 PM

My pcv hose is hooked up into the same port as yours.. Right in front of the Q-jet. The oil pressure actually is not as good as I would like it either.. drops to 20-25 hot at idle.. I will actually check the drain holes, but when I remove the valve covers it is spotless in there, no oil sitting anywhere other than on the tips of the rockers.. I will check thanks for your input... Love that neat plug wire routing look.. What kind of intake is that? Performer? with a Q-jet?
Old October 30th, 2018, 04:09 PM

Performer with a Dean Oliver ( Deano's carbs) prepped Q-Jet. Maybe by the time you pull the passenger side valve cover the oil finally drains? Your oil pressure at Idle ( 750 RPM or so) is not bad when the engine is warm. If plans go right I'm going to build another engine and sell this one. I have a 425 block with a bunch of goodies on the shelf...

Old October 30th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Stant makes crankcase breather caps. They make one you can use an inline pcv with (not the original intended purpose) to get it further away from the oil mist. You'll have change the rubber grommet.

Old October 30th, 2018, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the information! This is a great set up! Thanks!
Old October 30th, 2018, 06:49 PM

That breather cap sounds like an interesting solution! Hey it can't hurt..... Thanks Eric for the information, I will look for one before I go too crazy, but I'm afraid being crazy is here to stay already.. Ha Ha!
Old October 30th, 2018, 07:23 PM

HMM, That may put only a band-aid on your issue. I think you need to dig deeper...
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:05 PM

Oh I know, I will dig deeper but it just doesn't make any sense to me.. the heads were redone last year and I hardly put any miles on it when the rod went through the pan and stopped against the crossmember.. So they are very clean.. It did not smoke like this on the original engine that it came with.. So theoretically, if I remove the PCV hose from the Carb and plug it off.. Should it stop smoking after a minute or so?
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by therobski

Performer with a Dean Oliver ( Deano's carbs) prepped Q-Jet. Maybe by the time you pull the passenger side valve cover the oil finally drains? Your oil pressure at Idle ( 750 RPM or so) is not bad when the engine is warm. If plans go right I'm going to build another engine and sell this one. I have a 425 block with a bunch of goodies on the shelf...
How is your engine breathing? You have a valve cover on the left side that has no provision for a breather.
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by GM MUSCLE
My pcv hose is hooked up into the same port as yours.. Right in front of the Q-jet. The oil pressure actually is not as good as I would like it either.. drops to 20-25 hot at idle.. I will actually check the drain holes, but when I remove the valve covers it is spotless in there, no oil sitting anywhere other than on the tips of the rockers.. I will check thanks for your input... Love that neat plug wire routing look.. What kind of intake is that? Performer? with a Q-jet?

Are the lifters quite? There were some Chinese lifters that the holes too large in the plunger/bleed hole and metering plates and flooded the top side with oil. I know of several guys who had them and was having a similar issue.
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:25 PM

Yes lifters are quiet... I never heard of this but after what I am experiencing, it could be as well. These lifters were supplied to me by the machine shop that did the lower end.. They were a different manufacturer from the previous ones I had in the other engine.. I do not remember the name, have to check the receipt.. Thanks for your input
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:35 PM

Yes lifters are quiet... I never heard of this but after what I am experiencing, it could be as well. These lifters were supplied to me by the machine shop that did the lower end.. They were a different manufacturer from the previous ones I had in the other engine.. I do not remember the name, have to check the receipt.. Thanks for your input
Look for Falcon Global. Like I said,I know of several instances where the lifters were the problem. If I remember right,somebody measured them and the holes were 3X the OEM size.
Old October 31st, 2018, 04:15 AM

I checked my receipt and all it says for lifters is : OBS-LIFTER no other part number? I can't even find what OBS means? Anyone??
Old October 31st, 2018, 01:31 PM

I was thinking maybe your valve covers do not have the baffle plates on them but you said you went back to stock so that should not be the issue, have you run the engine momentarily without the valve cover on? Possibly you could see the amount of oil pumping up to the rockers, be careful though this could get messy!
Old October 31st, 2018, 01:46 PM

Do you have another valve cover that you could cut around the sides of the top with a cutoff wheel? I Like Oldsmaniac's idea and at least this way it won't be a total mess. You could see if the valve cover is filling with oil or ?? U could source a cheap valve cover up your way.
Old October 31st, 2018, 02:29 PM

Good idea... messy, yes but hey I gotta know what's going on though... thanks
Old October 31st, 2018, 02:35 PM

The valve cover idea sounds good too.. probably something I should keep around for diagnostics.... Hey Robski, what is the deal with your driver's side valve cover.. no breather on it? Just a pcv on the right? Just wondering... Thanks
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:17 PM
72Cutlass S

Plug the holes on both valve covers with your thumbs at idle if vacuum builds up under your thumbs you have a vacuum leak on the bottom of the intake gaskets. Also if it is an auto trans the oil could be trans fluid being sucked in from a blown vacuum modulator.
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:27 PM

Thanks Gary, I will try that, sounds totally logical to me. That Turkey Pan Intake Gasket is a tricky one..…..I will let you know
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:35 PM

Thanks Gary, I will try that, sounds totally logical to me. That Turkey Pan Intake Gasket is a tricky one..…..I will let you know
Never ever use the stock intake pan for any reason. The composition gaskets are much better and never use the rubber end rail gaskets,use sealer.
Old October 31st, 2018, 07:06 PM

Ok, I will give it a shot...Thank you Gary I will let you know as soon as possible..
Old October 31st, 2018, 07:26 PM

still no answer on your drivers side breather...this one is missing and as far as i know its crucial for venting your engine!

you just suck air (oil) out of it but not getting any fresh air in.

Old October 31st, 2018, 07:37 PM

If I were to guess, he has a vented oil fill cap.
Old November 1st, 2018, 04:08 AM

You guys keep asking about the breather that is missing... This is not my engine, that is another member's picture he sent to show me the pcv set up....I also questioned the missing breather... This is my engine..
Old November 1st, 2018, 06:40 AM

I know many of you do not like using the OE Turkey Pan gasket, the Composition Gaskets look fine but I do not see a port for the exhaust crossover? Is this normal for these? Or do they make one with exhaust ports? Or am I stuck using the OE Turkey Pan?
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:02 AM

I had this same problem on a fresh E block rebuild. Two things to consider. 1- yes you need to vent it for the pcv to work correctly. If you want to keep the 65 no vent look to the valve cover you can get an oil fill cap that is vented. You are running the 68 up style oil fill tube and they do make a twist in cap with a filter in it for that. 2 the other issue and what was wrong with mine. I used new lifters and they were of a batch that was incorrect. the .921 lifters is the same size used by some engines back in the 50's and are not correct for your engine. They fit and work except they over pump oil to the valve covers. I replaced the lifters and the smoking stopped. I was told by the cam builder it was ok to put new lifters on the cam as it only had about 100 miles on it. It fixed the issue and never had a problem again.

Hope this helps
Larry
lemoldsnut@aol.com
541-815-4363
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I had this same problem on a fresh E block rebuild. Two things to consider. 1- yes you need to vent it for the pcv to work correctly. If you want to keep the 65 no vent look to the valve cover you can get an oil fill cap that is vented. You are running the 68 up style oil fill tube and they do make a twist in cap with a filter in it for that. 2 the other issue and what was wrong with mine. I used new lifters and they were of a batch that was incorrect. the .921 lifters is the same size used by some engines back in the 50's and are not correct for your engine. They fit and work except they over pump oil to the valve covers. I replaced the lifters and the smoking stopped. I was told by the cam builder it was ok to put new lifters on the cam as it only had about 100 miles on it. It fixed the issue and never had a problem again.

Hope this helps
Larry
lemoldsnut@aol.com
541-815-4363
My car is a 1967 442 with a 400 E Block.. The 65 you see pictured with no breather is not mine. That is from another member that was showing me his PCV going to the carb. I posted a picture of my engine above.
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:14 AM

Okay so your car is the one with the chrome valve covers. I still want to point out what cured mine was the lifters. I see you have chrome aftermarket valve covers is there a baffle in the valve cover to stop oil from being sucked into the PCV valve? If not that is a common issue as well.
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:16 AM

GM Muscle, as far as I know this is the correct way to route your PVC system on these early engines and have no issues. Although, I do like Lemoldsnut about getting a twist in cap with a filter for the oil fill tube. Where can you buy one that will will fit properly?
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:19 AM

Hope this helps
Larry
lemoldsnut@aol.com
541-815-4363
Okay so your car is the one with the chrome valve covers. I still want to point out what cured mine was the lifters. I see you have chrome aftermarket valve covers is there a baffle in the valve cover to stop oil from being sucked into the PCV valve? If not that is a common issue as well.
I have baffles in the chrome set, but I installed the factory valve covers just to see and still smoking and sucking oil... could be the lifters.. What if the intake was leaking from the bottom? Would that give me the same 2 issues? Smoking and sucking oil through the pcv?
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:20 AM

Is this the correct part? https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:25 AM

Like that yes. Not sure if that is the exact fit but from them buy it try it and if it does not fit take it back. Pretty sure that is it though
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:58 AM

Sounds good, I found that same breather at Summitt Racing in stock. They have a HUGE warehouse in the Dallas area. I'm going to run out there today and pick it up along with some other goodies....
Old November 1st, 2018, 09:29 AM

If my intake gasket is leaking at the bottom inside, will it give me these symptoms of smoking out the tailpipe and sucking oil out the pcv?

Last edited by GM MUSCLE; November 1st, 2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: left out the word gasket
Old November 1st, 2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by gs72
Plug the holes on both valve covers with your thumbs
Wouldn't that result in your face being in the carburetor?
Old November 1st, 2018, 09:38 AM

I know many of you do not like using the OE Turkey Pan gasket, the Composition Gaskets look fine but I do not see a port for the exhaust crossover? Is this normal for these? Or do they make one with exhaust ports? Or am I stuck using the OE Turkey Pan?
The composition gaskets are easily cut out for the heat crossover if you can't find any already open.
Old November 1st, 2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
GM Muscle, as far as I know this is the correct way to route your PVC system on these early engines and have no issues. Although, I do like Lemoldsnut about getting a twist in cap with a filter for the oil fill tube. Where can you buy one that will will fit properly?
The early systems use a vent pipe going to the cleaner for breathing. If a PCV valve is used,there always has to be a way for air to enter the the engine.

Quick Reply: Fresh Rebuild 67 442 PCV Sucking Oil