comp cams roller tip rockers

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2018, 09:40 PM
rad

comp cams roller tip rockers

how well do the comp cams roller tip rockers wor with a mild hyd roller cam?
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:19 AM

IMO the rockers themselves are fine. Decently strong for stock and mildly modified engines. I'll defer to the experts if they think these would flex under the higher opening pressures of roller springs, but I wouldn't think so.
Separately, I think the pinch nuts and pushrods in those kits are less than worthless - they're actually time bombs. The stock Olds heads use 5/16" threads to mount the rockers which isn't great, but not an immediate problem either.
Old October 30th, 2018, 09:45 AM

The only issue is that the lock nuts that Comp supplies are garbage.

Use the short ARP poly locks for a bullet proof set up on a mild street build.

Mine are over 10 years old with no adjustments or issues.

They fit under stock valve covers with the thicker gaskest.
Old October 30th, 2018, 11:06 AM

I have to agree, the lock niuts are worthless, and the pushrods are slightly less worthless. I have several sets from various engines, and non of the pushrods that came with them.

I havent had any issues that I can recall as far as needing thick gaskets, I do remember having to dimple the area around the PCV valve and breather.
Old October 30th, 2018, 02:06 PM

Hmmm...I have this kit and installed the push rods and lock nuts. Crap. What should I replace them with? Engine is all put together waiting to be broken in on stand. Easy fix at this point.
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:00 PM
rad

That's what I'm curious about most is if the rocker will take it, ill get short poly locks and the studs are already drilled for 7/16 threads so i have to get new ones but the cam is a hydraulic roller with about 560ish lift
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by rad
That's what I'm curious about most is if the rocker will take it, ill get short poly locks and the studs are already drilled for 7/16 threads so i have to get new ones but the cam is a hydraulic roller with about 560ish lift
What are your spring pressures?
Old October 30th, 2018, 07:53 PM
rad

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

What are your spring pressures?
im not sure about that either as far as what to run, im just getting some ideas together, ill put these heads together over the winter, the short block is done and i have the roller tip rockers but something in my head tells me those rockers will be marginal for the spring pressure ill need for the roller cam.
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:20 PM
rad

this engine is nothing special, its a 455, heavy TRW 2323 pistons, resized stock rods with ARP bolts, balanced, hv oil pump, 7qt pan, and this Lunati roller cam, Bernard bare heads that will be assembled over the winter, ill clean them up but i don't plan on getting too carried away with them, its going into a 66 chevy pickup 4:10 posi rearend, turbo 400, I built this with the idea of something more interesting to drive to work, and give it a little more passing power than the 292 six thats in it.
Old October 31st, 2018, 07:02 AM

Seriously, what valve springs are you using? That's what Mark was getting to. Roller cams need stronger springs than flat tappet so they can control the heavier lifter. So you open pressure is the key thing here. A typical figure is around 350# open which would be fine. But if you're using springs that will hit 500# open, then, well, it might be interesting.
Stock valve springs are not sufficient for a roller cam.
Old October 31st, 2018, 12:36 PM
rad

Originally Posted by oddball
Seriously, what valve springs are you using? That's what Mark was getting to. Roller cams need stronger springs than flat tappet so they can control the heavier lifter. So you open pressure is the key thing here. A typical figure is around 350# open which would be fine. But if you're using springs that will hit 500# open, then, well, it might be interesting.
Stock valve springs are not sufficient for a roller cam.
i haven't bought them yet, none of the stuff for the bare heads has been bought yet.
Old November 1st, 2018, 08:31 AM

OK, keep the spring pressures reasonable and you'll be fine. I'd defer to Mark or Bernard on the specifics though.
Old November 1st, 2018, 05:17 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

Originally Posted by rad

this engine is nothing special, its a 455, heavy TRW 2323 pistons, resized stock rods with ARP bolts, balanced, hv oil pump, 7qt pan, and this Lunati roller cam, Bernard bare heads that will be assembled over the winter, ill clean them up but i don't plan on getting too carried away with them, its going into a 66 chevy pickup 4:10 posi rearend, turbo 400, I built this with the idea of something more interesting to drive to work, and give it a little more passing power than the 292 six thats in it.
If your using aluminum heads which have 7/16 stud threads it makes most sense to get the 7/16 by 7/16 studs and the better rockers made for them. The studs & guide plates cost the same and the rockers are not much more if any and you’ll be miles ahead. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Qwik71442; November 1st, 2018 at 05:22 PM.