Pulley alignment - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Pulley alignment

Old October 29th, 2018, 06:36 PM

Pulley alignment

I have a march performance serpentine conversion for my 455. I need to move the crank pulley out 1/8" to align everything. Can anyone recommend how to do it? I've found plenty of Chevy spacers but they are all for 3 hole pulleys.
Old October 30th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Have you tried to use a harmonic balanced remover and slowly bring it out to your desired depth?
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:42 AM

I could do that but would be concerned that the harmonic would then be able to slide back and forth a bit. I know it's only an 1/8". I see that ATI makes crank hub spacers (for everything but an Olds) that measure .093 which would probably be close enough. I'll check with them to see if any might fit or be close enough to modify. I could also get a couple more oil slingers and cut out the centers for spacers. I think that would be close as well.
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:14 AM

You could use machinery bushings behind the HB. These are found at Tractor Supply
You might need to file a keyway. Each one is .0747 thick
Old October 30th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Call the March tech line and ask? At minimum get the steal mill cert spec on what material they are made out of for other applications. Then have a local machine shop make one if March doesn't make one. I know the conversion has been done before. Maybe you are simply not seeing the whole inventory on line? A simple piece for a machine shop to whittle out for you. Fairly critical area. Dont want to gnaw up the crank snout with shade tree mechanics.
Old October 30th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bee Saint Louis View Post
Have you tried to use a harmonic balanced remover and slowly bring it out to your desired depth?
The balancer MUST be fully seated against the oil slinger and crank gear. More to the point, even if you pull it out, torquing the balancer bolt simply pushes it back in. If you use a spacer between the balancer and crank pulley, be sure you still have sufficient engagement between the pulley bore and the pilot on the balancer. This is what keeps the pulley concentric.