Price check 455 block - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Engine > Big Blocks
Price check 455 block >

Price check 455 block

Price check 455 block

Reply

 
 
 
Old September 16th, 2018, 09:42 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Mossy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 51
Price check 455 block

Iíll start off by saying Iím just toying with the idea of swapping the 350 for a 455 in my 71 cutlass. That being said, is this a fair price?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d...698729262.html


Mossy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:06 AM
  #2  
72 Olds CS
 
RetroRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,206
Price may be ok depends on your build goals. If your planning an aftermarket intake, crank, rods and heads ok. If your leaning towards a stockish 455 I would try to find one more complete, I paid $500 for a running complete engine that needed rebuild.

you can generally find a good rebuild able core for $4-600.
RetroRanger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:26 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Mossy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by RetroRanger View Post
Price may be ok depends on your build goals. If your planning an aftermarket intake, crank, rods and heads ok. If your leaning towards a stockish 455 I would try to find one more complete, I paid $500 for a running complete engine that needed rebuild.

you can generally find a good rebuild able core for $4-600.
Thanks. It would be an aftermarket build
Mossy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 01:00 PM
  #4  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 30,454
"Very rare block"...

This alone is a flashing red light that the seller thinks very highly of his item. Considering that essentially the same 455 block was used in every full size Olds and most 442s from 1968-1976, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly consider this "very rare". In any case, having a block hot tanked and magged will cost a $100 or so - that's apparently already been done. Unfortunately, if it needs to be bored or line bored, all that nice primer will have to be redone. "Very little wear" is meaningless. Get some micrometer numbers or assume it has to be bored. The other problem with buying a bare block is that you then have to buy all the other parts separately. Sure, if you plan to use aftermarket crank, rods, ARP bolts, etc, you're going to get those, but then there are all the little special parts like the oil gallery plugs with the bleed holes, distributor hold down, oil filter adapter, head bolts with the accessory studs, etc. All of a sudden, these nickel and dime items add up to more than the cost of buying a complete motor. Just a thought.
joe_padavano is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 03:59 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Mossy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
"Very rare block"...

This alone is a flashing red light that the seller thinks very highly of his item. Considering that essentially the same 455 block was used in every full size Olds and most 442s from 1968-1976, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly consider this "very rare". In any case, having a block hot tanked and magged will cost a $100 or so - that's apparently already been done. Unfortunately, if it needs to be bored or line bored, all that nice primer will have to be redone. "Very little wear" is meaningless. Get some micrometer numbers or assume it has to be bored. The other problem with buying a bare block is that you then have to buy all the other parts separately. Sure, if you plan to use aftermarket crank, rods, ARP bolts, etc, you're going to get those, but then there are all the little special parts like the oil gallery plugs with the bleed holes, distributor hold down, oil filter adapter, head bolts with the accessory studs, etc. All of a sudden, these nickel and dime items add up to more than the cost of buying a complete motor. Just a thought.
I appreciate the info. I noticed when I first saw his post that heís dropped it from $600. Can I assume that most of the parts from the 350 wonít transfer over?
Mossy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 04:06 PM
  #6  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 30,454
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post


I appreciate the info. I noticed when I first saw his post that heís dropped it from $600. Can I assume that most of the parts from the 350 wonít transfer over?
Actually, most will. I wasn't sure if you wanted to strip the 350 or keep it together. Obviously the reciprocating assembly and pushrods won't swap, but nearly everything else is common. Oil pans will swap, but BBO pans are shaped slightly differently from SBO pans.
joe_padavano is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 04:15 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Mossy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
Actually, most will. I wasn't sure if you wanted to strip the 350 or keep it together. Obviously the reciprocating assembly and pushrods won't swap, but nearly everything else is common. Oil pans will swap, but BBO pans are shaped slightly differently from SBO pans.
I planned on robbing what I could
Mossy is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Toph
Vista Cruiser & Wagons
14
May 27th, 2011 09:18 PM
NightStalker
Big Blocks
5
April 20th, 2011 03:33 PM
NightStalker
Cutlass
4
February 17th, 2011 06:48 AM
SwinGenX
Interior/Upholstery
5
September 18th, 2009 07:02 AM
Want-A-Vert
Chassis/Body/Frame
2
March 1st, 2007 05:53 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price check 455 block


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.