Price check 455 block

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2018, 08:42 AM

Price check 455 block

I’ll start off by saying I’m just toying with the idea of swapping the 350 for a 455 in my 71 cutlass. That being said, is this a fair price?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d...698729262.html

Old September 16th, 2018, 09:06 AM
72 Olds CS

Price may be ok depends on your build goals. If your planning an aftermarket intake, crank, rods and heads ok. If your leaning towards a stockish 455 I would try to find one more complete, I paid $500 for a running complete engine that needed rebuild.

you can generally find a good rebuild able core for $4-600.
Old September 16th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Price may be ok depends on your build goals. If your planning an aftermarket intake, crank, rods and heads ok. If your leaning towards a stockish 455 I would try to find one more complete, I paid $500 for a running complete engine that needed rebuild.

you can generally find a good rebuild able core for $4-600.
Thanks. It would be an aftermarket build
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

"Very rare block"...

This alone is a flashing red light that the seller thinks very highly of his item. Considering that essentially the same 455 block was used in every full size Olds and most 442s from 1968-1976, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly consider this "very rare". In any case, having a block hot tanked and magged will cost a $100 or so - that's apparently already been done. Unfortunately, if it needs to be bored or line bored, all that nice primer will have to be redone. "Very little wear" is meaningless. Get some micrometer numbers or assume it has to be bored. The other problem with buying a bare block is that you then have to buy all the other parts separately. Sure, if you plan to use aftermarket crank, rods, ARP bolts, etc, you're going to get those, but then there are all the little special parts like the oil gallery plugs with the bleed holes, distributor hold down, oil filter adapter, head bolts with the accessory studs, etc. All of a sudden, these nickel and dime items add up to more than the cost of buying a complete motor. Just a thought.
Old September 16th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
"Very rare block"...

This alone is a flashing red light that the seller thinks very highly of his item. Considering that essentially the same 455 block was used in every full size Olds and most 442s from 1968-1976, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly consider this "very rare". In any case, having a block hot tanked and magged will cost a $100 or so - that's apparently already been done. Unfortunately, if it needs to be bored or line bored, all that nice primer will have to be redone. "Very little wear" is meaningless. Get some micrometer numbers or assume it has to be bored. The other problem with buying a bare block is that you then have to buy all the other parts separately. Sure, if you plan to use aftermarket crank, rods, ARP bolts, etc, you're going to get those, but then there are all the little special parts like the oil gallery plugs with the bleed holes, distributor hold down, oil filter adapter, head bolts with the accessory studs, etc. All of a sudden, these nickel and dime items add up to more than the cost of buying a complete motor. Just a thought.
I appreciate the info. I noticed when I first saw his post that he’s dropped it from $600. Can I assume that most of the parts from the 350 won’t transfer over?
Old September 16th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mossy

I appreciate the info. I noticed when I first saw his post that he’s dropped it from $600. Can I assume that most of the parts from the 350 won’t transfer over?
Actually, most will. I wasn't sure if you wanted to strip the 350 or keep it together. Obviously the reciprocating assembly and pushrods won't swap, but nearly everything else is common. Oil pans will swap, but BBO pans are shaped slightly differently from SBO pans.
Old September 16th, 2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, most will. I wasn't sure if you wanted to strip the 350 or keep it together. Obviously the reciprocating assembly and pushrods won't swap, but nearly everything else is common. Oil pans will swap, but BBO pans are shaped slightly differently from SBO pans.
I planned on robbing what I could