Cooling hoses

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Angry Cooling hoses

I Have A 455 Olds Motor In My Tahiti......My Question How Do The Cooling Hoses Go Exactly With The New Thermostat Chrome Outlet ......I Blew Up The Motor Last Time Don"t Want To Do It Again.........Someone Out There Please Help.....Thank You In Advance John.....
Old September 15th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Volkswerk
I Have A 455 Olds Motor In My Tahiti......My Question How Do The Cooling Hoses Go Exactly With The New Thermostat Chrome Outlet ......I Blew Up The Motor Last Time Don"t Want To Do It Again.........Someone Out There Please Help.....Thank You In Advance John.....
I don't know what chrome outlet you have, but the water inlet is at the water pump (if you have an automotive style pump) or on the two water ports on the front cover (if you have a marine front cover). The t-stat housing is water out of the motor. If you have an automotive style pump, there is a bypass hose from the t-stat housing to the pump. The other pump port can be capped if you have two ports, since it is for the heater core.
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:55 PM

John, can you send us a picture for clarification. I've heard horror stories on chrome thermostat housings from the hoses slipping off because they're too smooth. Pictures would help though. Good luck.
Old September 15th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Volkswerk
John, I see you're new to the site, so welcome. There are a few things you might want to consider when posting questions. Such things as DETAILS help a lot. IF your question is simply about whether your upper rad hose will connect properly with your bling t-stat housing it probably will. You'll know when you test fit the ID of the hose with the OD of the housing. Personally I don't like the chrome t-stat as it's prone to corrosion and the hose fitment can be questionable for leaks.

Your Tahiti what?? How did you blow up your engine last time? It would REALLY help if you posted a picture of what you're talking about.
Is this what you mean??

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I don't know what chrome outlet you have, but the water inlet is at the water pump (if you have an automotive style pump) or on the two water ports on the front cover (if you have a marine front cover). The t-stat housing is water out of the motor. If you have an automotive style pump, there is a bypass hose from the t-stat housing to the pump. The other pump port can be capped if you have two ports, since it is for the heater core.
^^^ this. What Joe is referring to is a closed loop to bypass the heater core. Very simple and effective if you're planning to bypass the heater/AC system on the car.