Carb Question for a 495

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2018, 02:24 PM

Carb Question for a 495

I have a carburetor question. I’m in the process of building a 495 Olds stroker motor. I currently have a Holley Ultra HP 850 to put on top of it. I have aluminum Edelbrock ported heads and either a Edelbrock RPM AirGap or Torker manifold and ARH 2” primary headers. I have lots of other stuff, but I don’t think you folks want to read through all that detail for this question.

I want to switch to a 1050 cfm Holley Gen 3 Ultra Dominator so the engine can really breath. May also change my manifold choice, but I haven’t made it that far yet. So my question is, do I want to go with 2-circuit metering or 3-circuit metering? The car will see both street and track time (probably 50/50). I’m putting 3.90 gears in it so it won’t see much if any highway time, but around town and secondary highways.

Thanks for your time!!

Ray
Old July 31st, 2018, 03:36 PM

Estimated hp?
I’d use the Procomp “Shootout” intake or an Offy Port o sonic with a 950-1050 4150 Style Quick Fuel. It’ll drive better with a 3 circuit carb no matter what.
The RPM Air gap will need a bunch of work to really work well with the rest of your combo.

Last edited by cutlassefi; July 31st, 2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old July 31st, 2018, 05:33 PM

I won't pretend to know the estimated HP, it's not something I'm good at. I've seen similar builds to mine pushing well over 500 HP so I'm guessing 550+. So why the QuickFuel over the Holley Dominator? They are both owned/made by the same company (I'm pretty sure), so what can the QuickFuel do over the Dominator?
That said, I've also thought about going with one of the 4150 or 4500 EFI kits, maybe the Sniper, FAST EZ-EFI or MSD Atomic EFI kits. Too many damn choices!!
Old July 31st, 2018, 06:34 PM

Since it's a street also build the 4150 will drive better.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 05:19 PM

Ok, I took a look at the Quick Fuel Q-Series carbs. They are a nice looking carb, a lot like the Holley Ultra HP 850 I currently own. I believe I understand why you suggest the Quick Fuel. I can get the air flow of the 1050 cfm and as you said, the streetability of the 4150 flange. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the regular Q-Series and the Race Q-Series and the Down-leg vs annular boosters... any suggestions there?

Also, I know you know EFI for these motors, what do you think about the Holley Super Sniper EFI and the FAST EZ-EFI 2.0, especially vs the carburetor options I'm considering? Reading and watching the videos about these systems certainly seems tempting. They both seem to have a lot of tunability and reliability. Plus, at least it appears, that I would be able to add nitrous or a supercharger like a Torq Storm at some point if I chose (I've been following the Torq Storm thread and have been looking at them for a while now.).

Thanks again for your time!! I really value the opinions of the folks on the forum.

Ray
Old August 3rd, 2018, 03:02 AM

A properly modified quadrajet will work fine on your application. Due to the motor upgrade, you'll require idle circuit and jetting mods, but it'll be well worth it. If you're open to a q jet contact Everyday Performance or Cliff Ruggles for advice. Quadrajets are required in stock and superstock eliminator and some cars are running in the low 9 second range. Whatever your choice I hope you have good results.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 03:59 AM

You want a 950 or 1000 HP Holley. These will be pretty much spot on right out of the box.

I have a Quick Fuel 1050 Q-Series on mine and it's great.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by dragline
A properly modified quadrajet will work fine on your application. Due to the motor upgrade, you'll require idle circuit and jetting mods, but it'll be well worth it. If you're open to a q jet contact Everyday Performance or Cliff Ruggles for advice. Quadrajets are required in stock and superstock eliminator and some cars are running in the low 9 second range. Whatever your choice I hope you have good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyyRoaeujiA
That is really far fetched ! You know that a Quadra jet will not be streetable with that much ci. The reason is not enough cfm. There are 496 engines running a Victor intake street cars and 950 cfm and larger carbs.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
That is really far fetched ! You know that a Quadra jet will not be streetable with that much ci. The reason is not enough cfm. There are 496 engines running a Victor intake street cars and 950 cfm and larger carbs.
I'm willing to do a Pepsi challenge with a quadrajet over any of the aftermarket carbs on this motor. I myself will be using a quadrajet on a 500 cid BBC motor I'm building with a cast iron intake, ported aluminum heads and roller cam. Until you go over 750hp a properly set up quadrajet will outperform all that tricked out aftermarket junk. The 495 build by Ray is no problem for a quadrajet. Check out this stocker, Jason LIne NHRA pro stock driver's 70 Buick 455 GS, quadrajet, cast iron intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jason line.jpg (39.5 KB, 3 views)
Old August 3rd, 2018, 02:51 PM

I'm willing to do a Pepsi challenge with a quadrajet over any of the aftermarket carbs on this motor. I myself will be using a quadrajet on a 500 cid BBC motor I'm building with a cast iron intake, ported aluminum heads and roller cam. Until you go over 750hp a properly set up quadrajet will outperform all that tricked out aftermarket junk. The 495 build by Ray is no problem for a quadrajet. Check out this stocker, Jason LIne NHRA pro stock driver's 70 Buick 455 GS, quadrajet, cast iron intake.
So let me get this right, what you’re saying is the op’s 495 will put out just as much hp and tq with a Qjet as it would, say with a QF 950?
Old August 3rd, 2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

So let me get this right, what you’re saying is the op’s 495 will put out just as much hp and tq with a Qjet as it would, say with a QF 950?
Mark he is dreaming!!Just my .02.☺
Old August 4th, 2018, 12:33 AM

Let me ask this... "a Quadrajet will not be streetable with that muck ci". What do you mean by "streetable" ? Where is the cubic inch limitation with a Quadrajet ? I am sure the aftermarket carbs can flow more CFM's than a Quadrajet..

Old August 4th, 2018, 12:57 AM

Well, I was asking a question about a 495/496 Olds build with what seemed to be a simple carb question. Now, I’m confronted with racing someone with a BBC and a Pepsi habit...
Old August 4th, 2018, 01:33 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I drink Coca-Cola so I am in the clear. I have my own thoughts, but shall refrain from saying something.
Old August 4th, 2018, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1970Olds442
Well, I was asking a question about a 495/496 Olds build with what seemed to be a simple carb question. Now, I’m confronted with racing someone with a BBC and a Pepsi habit...
Please forget all that I said. Drink lots of beer, watch lots of TV, and slap 2 Holley's on it just for good measure.
Old August 4th, 2018, 04:07 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyyRoaeujiA
Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Let me ask this... "a Quadrajet will not be streetable with that muck ci". What do you mean by "streetable" ? Where is the cubic inch limitation with a Quadrajet ? I am sure the aftermarket carbs can flow more CFM's than a Quadrajet..
Poor choice of words my bad! What I mean is it would be a turd down on power ! The 950 quick fuel would feed it better. Would you put a 500 cfm carb on a 455? No because it is to small. I am saying the Quadra jet is to small.☺

Last edited by wr1970; August 4th, 2018 at 04:10 AM.
Old August 4th, 2018, 04:36 AM

On a side note. Years ago the cut off was13 flat in sportsman bracket at my track. My car was running 12.50 1/4 mi i needed the car to be slower so I put on a air cleaner that has a small air horn which slowed the car down to a 13.05 hot days 13.10 Now still had good throttle just by choking off the air but not as fast.
Old August 4th, 2018, 04:32 PM

Poor choice of words my bad! What I mean is it would be a turd down on power ! The 950 quick fuel would feed it better. Would you put a 500 cfm carb on a 455? No because it is to small. I am saying the Quadra jet is to small.☺
I am sure a 950 cfm carb could flow more fuel/air than a Quadrajet, but a Quadrajet would work for a 496 since it was a "street/strip" car. Quadrajets do work on engines of 500 cubic inches. Perhaps you didn't know that1970 Cadillac Eldorado's with 500 cubic inch motors came with a Quadrajet ? There is a difference between "streetable" (responsive driveability off the dragstrip) and ultimate horsepower output on 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip. Oldsmobile DID ship cars from the factory with 2 barrel Rochesters of about 500 cfm. and the cars worked well.
The OP is building a dual purpose car.for "around town and secondary highways" (see post #1).

Old August 4th, 2018, 04:36 PM

On a side note. Years ago the cut off was13 flat in sportsman bracket at my track. My car was running 12.50 1/4 mi i needed the car to be slower so I put on a air cleaner that has a small air horn which slowed the car down to a 13.05 hot days 13.10 Now still had good throttle just by choking off the air but not as fast.
Was this with a Holley ?

Old August 4th, 2018, 07:04 PM

Was this with a Holley ?
No it was not! It was a 750 Barry Grant Demon and I am still using that carb.
Old August 5th, 2018, 10:45 AM

I am sure a 950 cfm carb could flow more fuel/air than a Quadrajet, but a Quadrajet would work for a 496 since it was a "street/strip" car. Quadrajets do work on engines of 500 cubic inches. Perhaps you didn't know that1970 Cadillac Eldorado's with 500 cubic inch motors came with a Quadrajet ? There is a difference between "streetable" (responsive driveability off the dragstrip) and ultimate horsepower output on 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip. Oldsmobile DID ship cars from the factory with 2 barrel Rochesters of about 500 cfm. and the cars worked well.
The OP is building a dual purpose car.for "around town and secondary highways" (see post #1).
Ralph stay on subject of op engine. Not Cadillac not chevy. Oldsmobile please. All! I am saying is for the street performance and drag strip the Quick fuel will out perform the Quadra jet. I think others who have used this carb will agree.
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the posts and advice folks!! I apologize for the much delayed reply, but life takes front seat vs my passion!

After reading the posts, and considering my total build (like I said, I have a lot I didn’t mention) I’m leaning very heavily toward Cutlassefi’s suggestion. Honestly, I probably need to refresh an old post I have about my build with updated information (mental note – do that knucklehead!).

So I’m looking at the recommended ProComp “Shootout” intake vs my Torker or AirGap. I won’t lie. I’m a little hesitant about ProComp, but I do know that everything I’ve researched says I need single plane vs dual plane, and I trust Cutlassefi. The Offy Port-O-Sonic is hard to find (from my research) vs the Shootout, which I can get today.

As for the carb, I am looking at the Quick Flow Race Q-Series (RQ-1050-3AN). From everything I can see, it’s a 4150 carb that’s the size I want (1050 cfm) and it’s 3 circuits. I’m still all over the place with the whole “downleg vs annular”, but from what I can find, annular works great with bigger carbs (over 850 - the better fuel spray makes up for the loss of air flow).

So, all this said, I do not pretend to be an expert… in fact I’m a novice at best (as you can probably tell), so any advice will happily be accepted! And, as a side note, I’ve been looking at another alternative to my carburetor conundrum, but I’ll save that for another post…

And, as always, thank you for all your time!!!

Ray
Old September 8th, 2018, 06:24 AM

I made 622hp on an Olds 480 big block with the Shootout intake and a QF BDQ 950. Ran awesome throughout and still idled at 900 rpm.
Old September 14th, 2018, 05:09 PM

So Cutlassefi, let me ask this, I besides the 3 circuit vs 2 circuit, which I think I understand, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of running a RQ-1050-3AN vs a BDQ-1050?

My other question then is, I will probably go with the RQ-1050 with 3 circuits, but would you recommend downleg boosters or annular? This seems to be a real hot topic when one Googles “downleg vs annular”.

Thanks again for your time!!