been out of loop and have some questions for my 425

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2018, 05:33 PM

been out of loop and have some questions for my 425

Hello everyone..apologies for being long winded but I'm excited to have my Olds out of storage and actually have time and a few bucks to play with. I'm a working musician who has been out of the car word for awhile so please bear with my knowledge level at this point. Most brain cells are somewhat firing still. Anyways, I have a 1966 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 I have owned since I was 15...I'm 47, do the math...ouch! Its a convertible with a modified 425. 30 over mild Crane cam, Edelbrock performer manifold and carb, factory dual exaust..well the reproduction one. I recently pulled it out of storage and put on a HEI distributor from Taylor with some Taylor wires. Got tired of the points being stuck when the car sat for months at a time. car sat for over a year. got it fired up. Timed it. I have a terrible run on problem after the car is turned off. if I remember...is this because the idle speed is wrong? to high? is it a simple turning the idle down?
Also my gas pedal has broken. Is there anywhere I can get a replacement for the bottom pivot/bolt thingy? Ive looked in some yards an nobody knows what I am talking about. Mine is worn out. pedal is cracked where little ***** fit in but I would assume this is common. a little epoxy might work...is there another easy fix? maybe a hinge to hold it on place replacing the weird setup? My floors are bad at that part but I can temp fix with a solid piece of sheet metal. Looking to get this car safe..not perfect but a good solid driver cruiser again. gonna do a fresh front end rebuild and some tires and brakes and hope for the best. Car runs solid otherwise. Any help or advice would be much appreciated...Thanks in advance
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Administrator

First congrats on resurrecting your ride. When you put the HEI in, what did you set your timing to. The reason I ask is because advancing the timing also raises your idle speed. Next, if the choke is not releasing, this also will give you a raised idle. In addition, vacuum leaks will give you a raised idle. Lastly if everything previously mentioned is ok, then yes you can lower the idle speed with the screw on the throttle linkage.

You can post a list of items you need in the parts wanted classified section on this forum.
Old June 8th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Usually run on is due to timing being too advanced or crud in the cylinders. The major change is the HEI. Does it's vacuum advance work?