Am I running hot?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2018, 08:15 PM

Am I running hot?

1962 Delta 88, 394. I suspect I'm running hot, I don't have any good reason why, but it's my suspicion based on owning this car for 23 years and feeling the hood a couple hours after driving short distances. I know my cold light works based on startups, but I haven't seen the hot light come on in over 20 years.

Any advice on the best way to verify/nullify my suspicion?

In case it's not obvious from my post I'm not exactly mechanically inclined, I change my own oil and spark plugs, but still take it to a shop for brake work. I'm willing to get my hands dirty if I think I can figure something out, but stay away when I'm afraid I'll cause more damage than I can fix.
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:36 PM

In a car without a functional gauge I try to hold the upper radiator hose, if I can rest my hand on it for any period of time it’s good if it’s to hot to hold it’s hot.
Old May 17th, 2018, 02:51 AM
Lansing built

Try a non contact infrared temperature gun. $30.00

Pat
Old May 17th, 2018, 04:17 AM
Administrator

You can also install a temporary mechanical gauge in place of the sensor to see what your actual temps are. To test the hot light remove the pink sensor wire and touch to ground. The light will come on. When you turn the ign key to start the hot light should come on through the pink wire out of the ign switch, its a lamp test function.
Old May 17th, 2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Try a non contact infrared temperature gun. $30.00

Pat
Thanks, didn't know these were so affordable now, just ordered a cheapy on amazon, will give it a go this weekend.
Old May 17th, 2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can also install a temporary mechanical gauge in place of the sensor to see what your actual temps are. To test the hot light remove the pink sensor wire and touch to ground. The light will come on. When you turn the ign key to start the hot light should come on through the pink wire out of the ign switch, its a lamp test function.
Good information, I thought I remembered all the lights flashing at me when I was younger, I'll have to pay closer attention next start.

Trying to do a quick google on mechanical gauges and I'm just inundated with ebay aftermarket parts with no great information, I'll research more later, but do you happen to have any recommendations on good parts?
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:14 AM
Administrator

This is the most inexpensive way to go. You can use them for a temporary or permanent hook up. Since you have the oil pressure gauge you can also see what the overall condition of your bearings with it. click on the Amazon link below:
Amazon Amazon
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:58 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by skiflyer
?..
Trying to do a quick google on mechanical gauges and I'm just inundated with ebay aftermarket parts with no great information....
I agree w this Google has gone from being a useful tool, to an ad agency run by tools!!
Old May 21st, 2018, 06:44 PM

I don't really know my engine part names, so I've attached the photos... I've confirmed the hot light works, but not that it actually turns on with a hot engine.

The heat gun is a $19 amazon cheapy, but it seems to be accurate within 5 degrees based on boiling water and other known test subjects.

If I'm right on my engine part names it's 127.7 F on the valve cover, 241.7 on the upper block, and 425 on the exhaust manifold, 167 on the upper block other side. This is after about 15 minutes of city driving. In case it's not obvious, the red laser dot is the part of the engine being measured.

Obviously too short of a test, but I'm having brake issues so until I get those fixed later this week I'm not driving much further. Any opinions on whether or not these numbers should concern me?

Old May 21st, 2018, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Based on that I would say its normal.
Old May 21st, 2018, 07:02 PM

Test several areas of the radiator looking for cool spots indicating a blockage.

Good luck!!!
Old May 21st, 2018, 07:03 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Check the water pump and the radiator hoses.
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:08 PM

Radiator and hoses all looked in the sub-200 range without any big variants, thanks for all the information guys. After this little poking around I suspect my concerns our from my oil leaks hitting the exhaust manifold and causing a stink. Something to add to the long term fix list, but nothing to keep me from enjoying the car in the meantime... This lack of brakes is another story though!