harmonic balancer bolt

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2018, 06:23 PM

harmonic balancer bolt

This may seem like a dumb question, but I have only removed the harmonic balancer on a bench or with a oem bellhousing. I have a Lakewood SFI bellhousing and the only way to lock the flywheel is to remove the starter, I will do that if I have too, but would rather not. How can I remove this bolt otherwise. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Vince.
Old May 13th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Try an impact wrench on it. It should do the trick.
Old May 13th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

An impact wrench will remove it, but you won't be able to torque it without locking the flywheel. Decades ago I made a tool that is just a spare crank pulley with a bar welded to it. I remove the original pulley, bolt this tool in place, and it's easy to hold the motor from turning.

Of course, if you have a scattershield, then you have a manual trans. Just put it in gear.
Old May 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
An impact wrench will remove it, but you won't be able to torque it without locking the flywheel. Decades ago I made a tool that is just a spare crank pulley with a bar welded to it. I remove the original pulley, bolt this tool in place, and it's easy to hold the motor from turning.

Of course, if you have a scattershield, then you have a manual trans. Just put it in gear.
4th gear. I made the mistake once of trying to get the bolt on a mustang out with it in 1st, and the car kept moving even with the wheels chocked and the parking brake on. (I felt a bit stupid when I stopped and thought about the torque multiplication).
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:32 AM

I have drilled a hole in the block plate of the Lakewood where it allows a bolt to be threaded into an unused pressure plate mounting hole.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:20 AM

thanks for all the replies. this is the first time in 30 years I am getting my hands dirty on an old car, kind of missed it. now that I am doing it I may just start rebuilding them again. i had to replace the dorman balancer, crappy, with a fluidmaster unit. the dorman had a slight wobble at the rubber seal, the two sections were not assembled properly???
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:27 PM

Air impact gun to take it off and put it on. I have never torqued this bolt. I just put some oil on it and hammer it on with a quality impact.

I have heard of people using a breaker bar on them with it against the floor and hit the starter. Just looks like a disaster in the making to me.
Old May 16th, 2018, 06:36 AM

Too bad you are so far away. I would loan you the tool I made to get the bolt loose on my Wife's Riviera when I thought I was going to do an in the car repair. It bolts to the damper and hits on the water pump to keep it from turning while you loosen the bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old May 21st, 2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

I ended up using my impact gun to remove the bolt, really just as easy as when the block is on the bench. And used the torque wrench in 5th to tighten. Thanks again to all, the new balancer is on and the rad is going to the shop to be freshened up and a new core going in.