Best remanufactured 455 "crate engine" - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Engine > Big Blocks
Best remanufactured 455 "crate engine" >

Best remanufactured 455 "crate engine"

Best remanufactured 455 "crate engine"

Old May 9th, 2018, 04:24 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Fletchmo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 102
Best remanufactured 455 "crate engine"

I am lusting for torque in my 72 Supreme w/350. I keep thinking dropping in a 455--even a stock one--would be the easiest way to go. Any recommendations?

Last edited by Fletchmo72; May 9th, 2018 at 05:26 PM.
Fletchmo72 is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:27 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
allyolds68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 4,235
Originally Posted by Fletchmo72 View Post
I am lusting for torque in my 72 Supreme w/350. I keep thinking dropping in a 455--even a stock one--would be the easiest way to go. Any recommendations?
Find a core engine with pre-73 heads and have it built at a reputable shop that does Olds motors. Don't waste your time on a reman place like Jaspers
allyolds68 is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 07:00 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 970
The advertised "crate" olds engines should be avoided.
If you don't want to manage a build yourself then go with one of the recognized Olds shops, like Bernard Mondello (*not* Mondello Performance Products!!), Bill Trovato, even cutlassefi on here can put one together for you. Tell them what you want and your budget and they can get it built.
oddball is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:11 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 5,186
Did you ever consider stroking the 350 thatís in there? Hmmmm😉
cutlassefi is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:28 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Fletchmo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 102
Well, I'm located in south central Wisconsin, so if anyone knows of a good builder near here, please let me know. One thing I like about some "crate engine" sellers is the warranty. One is 3 yrs/unlimited mileage. Another is 7 years.
Fletchmo72 is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:53 PM
  #6  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,430
Who would those builders be with a 3 and 7 year warranty?
oldcutlass is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:57 PM
  #7  
Olds Fever
 
CRUZN 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York (Upstate)
Posts: 3,072
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Who would those builders be with a 3 and 7 year warranty?
I would also like to know who those builders are, especially with unlimited miles...
CRUZN 66 is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:03 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
OLDSter Ralph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: St. Paul Minnesota
Posts: 954
I m wondering what your intended usage is ? No idea what rear end ratio you have. If warranty is a big concern, wouldn't you rather have a new car ? The realm of possibilities is endless as to what would improve torque.
Warranties are as good as the paper they are written on. Who PAYS to pull the engine, crate it up and ship it back for a warranty ?
OLDSter Ralph is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 08:19 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
olds 307 and 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melville, Saskatchewan
Posts: 4,607
Rocket Racing is in Wisconsin. Mark's 350 stroker makes big torque, 500+ ft/lbs even with a mild build, seriously consider it.
olds 307 and 403 is offline  
Old May 11th, 2018, 08:34 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 970
Originally Posted by Fletchmo72 View Post
Well, I'm located in south central Wisconsin, so if anyone knows of a good builder near here, please let me know. One thing I like about some "crate engine" sellers is the warranty. One is 3 yrs/unlimited mileage. Another is 7 years.
A warranty is only good if it's actually honored!

Seriously, don't trust those generic reman shops.

Rocket Racing is great too. Go pay them a visit if you're close to them.
oddball is offline  
Old May 13th, 2018, 07:24 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Fletchmo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 102
ATK engines (available thru Jegs and elsewhere) 3 yr/ unlimited mileage.
S&J Engines, 7 yr/ 100,000 mi. warranty.

Thanks for the tip on Rocket Racing. Not too far from where I live.

Last edited by Fletchmo72; May 13th, 2018 at 07:40 PM.
Fletchmo72 is offline  
Old May 13th, 2018, 08:22 PM
  #12  
rad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chinook Mt
Posts: 103
yea definitely stick with an Olds builder, (except Mondello in Paso Robles Ca.) Bernard Mondello is good but im not sure if he builds complete engines or not, you cant throw one of these together like a chevy or ford certain things need a closer look on an Olds to make sure its right.
rad is offline  
Old May 13th, 2018, 09:07 PM
  #13  
Registered User
 
olds 307 and 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melville, Saskatchewan
Posts: 4,607
Originally Posted by rad View Post
yea definitely stick with an Olds builder, (except Mondello in Paso Robles Ca.) Bernard Mondello is good but im not sure if he builds complete engines or not, you cant throw one of these together like a chevy or ford certain things need a closer look on an Olds to make sure its right.
Especially the large main bearing with big, heavy parts flying around in a 455. Most of the failed builds are 455 related for the above reasons.
olds 307 and 403 is offline  
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:58 AM
  #14  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,430
Originally Posted by Fletchmo72 View Post
ATK engines (available thru Jegs and elsewhere) 3 yr/ unlimited mileage.
S&J Engines, 7 yr/ 100,000 mi. warranty.

Thanks for the tip on Rocket Racing. Not too far from where I live.
ATK is a reputable company. I did not know they did Olds engines until I looked at their catalog.
oldcutlass is offline  
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:57 PM
  #15  
72 Olds CS
 
RetroRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,325
I just looked on their www and came up empty for olds engines
RetroRanger is offline  
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:05 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,430
Originally Posted by RetroRanger View Post
I just looked on their www and came up empty for olds engines
http://atkvege.com/content/images/ca...engine2016.pdf
oldcutlass is offline  
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:01 PM
  #17  
72 Olds CS
 
RetroRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,325
Hmm they do have some olds coverage listed, I wonder if they support all the listings in that document? As jaunty pointed out in another thread not a lot olds left on the road in DD capacity

Not sure how they are or are not related but I looked here where oldsmobile came up blank

https://www.high-performance-engines.com
RetroRanger is offline  
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:10 PM
  #18  
72 Olds CS
 
RetroRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,325
There's also this ebay seller that has long and short blocks and offers some upgrades.

They also have better feedback than gateway classic cars !!!

I know nothing about them and have never purchased from them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Oldsmobi...item3a9bbdf38a
RetroRanger is offline  
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:37 PM
  #19  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,430
Originally Posted by RetroRanger View Post
Hmm they do have some olds coverage listed, I wonder if they support all the listings in that document? As jaunty pointed out in another thread not a lot olds left on the road in DD capacity

Not sure how they are or are not related but I looked here where oldsmobile came up blank

https://www.high-performance-engines.com

Same company I believe. I know they build decent Chevy performance engines. If I remember right, the ATK rep's name here in Texas was Brandon.
oldcutlass is offline  
Old May 30th, 2018, 06:20 PM
  #20  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403 View Post
Rocket Racing is in Wisconsin. Mark's 350 stroker makes big torque, 500+ ft/lbs even with a mild build, seriously consider it.

How much would this cost roughly?
Tim2017 is offline  
Old May 30th, 2018, 06:43 PM
  #21  
Registered User
 
naphtali5725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mountains of NC
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by Tim2017 View Post



How much would this cost roughly?
send a private message to cutlassefi
naphtali5725 is offline  
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:41 PM
  #22  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Fletchmo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 102
Wonder if you wouldn't mind checking out www.cmengines.com and let me know what you think. I like how detailed they are with their engine descriptions.

Thanks, Jack
Fletchmo72 is offline  
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:52 PM
  #23  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,430
There was another member that used them. You can contact him to see how it worked out long term.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...94-engine.html
oldcutlass is offline  
Old June 13th, 2018, 07:17 PM
  #24  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Fletchmo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
There was another member that used them. You can contact him to see how it worked out long term.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...94-engine.html
Great. Thanks
Fletchmo72 is offline  
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:15 PM
  #25  
Registered User
 
naphtali5725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mountains of NC
Posts: 132
I have a 455 that was rebuilt by cmengines. i have nothing but nice things to say about them as far as customer service, I did a walk thru of their shop with the owner, they drag race a lot, and move a lot of engines.

there are some particulars regarding Oldsmobile engines that they weren't aware of, and didn't install the distributor oiler plug in the rear of the engine, I corrected the issue by putting in the plug with the oil hole in it and a new freeze plug.

I have not fired the engine yet, but I feel confident it would perform well.

for my current project I decided to have another one built by cutlassefi on here.

what is your budget?

Last edited by naphtali5725; June 13th, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
naphtali5725 is offline  
Old June 14th, 2018, 05:45 AM
  #26  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,440
In addition to racing engines, Rocket Racing (about 30 miles SW of Milwaukee) does restoration engines. I recommend them. They will be at the OCA Nationals in Gettysburg this year.
Run to Rund is offline  
Old June 14th, 2018, 09:12 AM
  #27  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Fletchmo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by naphtali5725 View Post
I have a 455 that was rebuilt by cmengines. i have nothing but nice things to say about them as far as customer service, I did a walk thru of their shop with the owner, they drag race a lot, and move a lot of engines.

there are some particulars regarding Oldsmobile engines that they weren't aware of, and didn't install the distributor oiler plug in the rear of the engine, I corrected the issue by putting in the plug with the oil hole in it and a new freeze plug.

I have not fired the engine yet, but I feel confident it would perform well.

for my current project I decided to have another one built by cutlassefi on here.

what is your budget?
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait to hear how your engine actually performs.
My budget is the lowest I can get away with and still not cut corners foolishly. My Cutlass is a seasonal daily driver. I do a lot of 60 mph cruising on country roads, but my 350 doesn't have the low end, off idle torque that makes driving fun. I don't want a race car. I don't care about top end speed. I just want gobs of torque from 0-60
Fletchmo72 is offline  
Old June 14th, 2018, 09:22 AM
  #28  
Registered User
 
naphtali5725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mountains of NC
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by Fletchmo72 View Post
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait to hear how your engine actually performs.
My budget is the lowest I can get away with and still not cut corners foolishly. My Cutlass is a seasonal daily driver. I do a lot of 60 mph cruising on country roads, but my 350 doesn't have the low end, off idle torque that makes driving fun. I don't want a race car. I don't care about top end speed. I just want gobs of torque from 0-60

I won't be starting the 455 I got from cmengines anytime in the near future, its a spare and stored in my garage.

are you wanting an engine all the way fully assembled ready to drop in? or are you mechanically inclined and will be doing the swap yourself?

if you want one of their engines, call and talk to Mike, he's the owner. I got my rebuild for less because I had all my parts, pistons, bearings etc. they did all the machine work and assembly for me.

some members here may have a running 455 to purchase, post in the parts wanted section of the site

I still recommend you talk to cutlassefi here... pm him and tell him your goals and budget...

keep us updated

Last edited by naphtali5725; June 14th, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
naphtali5725 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
illumined
Small Blocks
0
August 2nd, 2016 05:27 PM
Oldssupreme
General Discussion
20
December 8th, 2015 03:48 PM
Dead Reckon
Small Blocks
2
May 5th, 2015 11:18 PM
superbee_68
Parts For Sale
18
July 7th, 2013 09:04 PM
mashbaugh
General Discussion
7
September 17th, 2012 08:40 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best remanufactured 455 "crate engine"


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.