engine installation & bolt question

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM

engine installation & bolt question

Two questions:

1) Prior to dropping the engine and trans in, what do you suggest I use during mating the engine and trans, an engine cradle? I kind of hate the idea of spending $100 on something I'm probably not going to use that often. Any other suggestions are welcome.

2) Double sided bold. I believe there's a double sided bolt on the '68 400 that is used for the power steering bracket. Is this correct? I didn't remove it, so I'm not specifically sure what the engine builder is talking about. In any event, I need this bolt. They're not reproduced. If someone has one (or however many I need), please contact me.

Thanks
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Two questions:

1) Prior to dropping the engine and trans in, what do you suggest I use during mating the engine and trans, an engine cradle? I kind of hate the idea of spending $100 on something I'm probably not going to use that often. Any other suggestions are welcome.
I just mate on the floor...

Actually, I use the engine hoist to get the engine off the engine stand, lower it so the oil pan is on the floor, and mate the trans at that point. Reposition the chain so the combined engine/trans is balanced, and off you go.

2) Double sided bold. I believe there's a double sided bolt on the '68 400 that is used for the power steering bracket. Is this correct? I didn't remove it, so I'm not specifically sure what the engine builder is talking about. In any event, I need this bolt. They're not reproduced. If someone has one (or however many I need), please contact me.

Thanks
There are several double ended bolts. There are two smaller ones, one on the water pump and one at the bottom of the front cover, that are used to mount the PS pump bracket (don't forget the spacers!). There are also double ended head bolts for the A/C compressor bracket.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Registered

An engine tilter device is always good to have, 20-30 bucks.
I have one you can borrow, only 20-30 bucks for shipping.

I'll look in my specialized bolt storage units for one of those, takes time to go through all the little boxes and coffee cans marked "Misc.".
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, Joe, I think those are the ones they're talking about. I'm not back in AZ to go over to my friends old shop to look for them, so I'm kind of out of luck because no one reproduces them. Any help finding some would be greatly appreciated. I need the spacers too. I have nothing.

I guess I can always attempt to find some this Sat at Carlisle as well. IF I ONLY KNEW WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE!! Ugh. What a mess. haha.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Thanks guys. Yes, Joe, I think those are the ones they're talking about. I'm not back in AZ to go over to my friends old shop to look for them, so I'm kind of out of luck because no one reproduces them. Any help finding some would be greatly appreciated. I need the spacers too. I have nothing.

I guess I can always attempt to find some this Sat at Carlisle as well. IF I ONLY KNEW WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE!! Ugh. What a mess. haha.
The two studs for the power steering pump bracket are the same on 307 motors, which are still plentiful in wrecking yards. The 307s also have the head bolts with the stud, but unfortunately they are 1/2" and you need 7/16".
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM

Joe,

Any idea where I can find the 7/16 bolts?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:37 PM

Tom and Bob, I've got some core engines and can probably help with these bolts. Send me a pm with your address and I'll try to dig them up this weekend. John
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Tom, this afternoon I took pictures of water pump bolts. But now I see it's actually the power steering pump bolt you need. Oh well.... it should look something like the center two headed bolt in this picture, but the two threaded ends are almost the same length. I do have a used one of those too if you need it. John

P1010056.jpg
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Reviving a 68 Cut conv

No one reproduces new head bolts like these ?!?