Powder coating aluminum intake

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2004, 09:25 PM

Since I will be pulling my Performer intake to repair an oil leak I was thinking of having it color powder coated metallic gold and clear top coated.

Is this a durable underhood finish?

Any tips on what type of product and procedure to follow. I will be having this done at a local High Performance Coating shop. But would like to be informed.

Is this a good or bad idea? I am already having custom gold metallic powder coated valve covers and 14" open air cleaner assembly top fabricated.

Thanks,
John
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:44 AM
Past Administrator

My son had the valve covers on his '64 powder coated a few years back and they still look good. I think that finish is a pretty durable one, although I have heard it doesn't stand up as well on exhuast manifolds/headers but there is quite a bit more heat involved there.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:53 PM

I'm not positive, but I think to have something powdercoated, it has to have a magnetic charge sent through it so that the metal powder adheres to it. Since aluminum is not a ferrous metal, it will not work. Possibly anodizing will work, but since you want your air/fuel mixture to stay as cool as possible, and aluminum holds heat,you should either have it bead blasted, or polished to have the best look. Sealing the pores of the manifold, will only hold in more heat, which will cause vapor lock. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:54 PM

I'm not positive, but I think to have something powdercoated, it has to have a magnetic charge sent through it so that the metal powder adheres to it. Since aluminum is not a ferrous metal, it will not work. Possibly anodizing will work, but since you want your air/fuel mixture to stay as cool as possible, and aluminum holds heat,you should either have it bead blasted, or polished to have the best look. Sealing the pores of the manifold, will only hold in more heat, which will cause vapor lock. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM

Actually... you CAN powdercoat Aluminum... the actual powder that you spray is electrically charged by the gun as it leaves it. The surface that you are spraying should be electrically grounded so that the powder will "stick". The powder is made of plastic that melts when heated. The only drawback I can think of when coating an intake would be the plastic will act as an insulator and allow the engine to retain and heat up your intake charge as it enters the engine possibly robbing you of a few horses.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

Rocket Socket, you are right about aluminum conducting electricity, mike88 you are thinking about aluminum not being ferrous like iron which means it is not able to be magnetized. I have heard about people powder coating almost everything but we have to remember there is a difference between a show car that is trailored, and hardly allowed to come completely up to full operating temperature and our cars which are daily driven. I have seen show cars with chrome headers that don't even have heat temper discoloration on them which means the engine has never been fired over even once!!!! That's furniture in my opinion, not mechanical beauty, but that's another subject. Don't mean to hijack this thread....
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:46 PM

Hey... does anyone know how I can become a big block member?...lol
Old October 25th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Past Administrator

I think it's after you make so many posts. I was offended at first, I thought it meant what you ran, I have two 455s so I thought "what the heck?" But eventually it showed up as big block member.