BBO 'C' heads costing please.

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2017, 01:37 AM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

Arrow BBO 'C' heads costing please.

Hi all who bother to read this..

I have a set of 'C' heads I really want to have done up to replace J heads on my Delta.
I've been dickin' around with ideas for these and my 455 for a couple of years now but all the parts are finally coming together.

So, what would it realistically cost to have someone stateside source a pair of C heads, do a basic port job and have the heads rebuilt by someone familiar with Oldsmobile heads, I guess that's what I'm asking here.
I can sort out who could do this later, with the olds community's help, just doing a comparo at the moment.

The C heads I have (big valve, although I don't think it matters in the Delta) need the same attention. All the engineering shops I've spoken to here have never done Olds heads, so I'm wary of dropping a bundle of cash to someone who will be practicing on mine. (two shops had never heard of a 455 BBO motor and thought I meant Buick or Pontiac 455)
Also the parts, valves etc have to come from the US anyway with healthy doses of middlemen added here.

I'm looking to just bolt on a completely finished pair of heads.
Has anyone got a costing for purchase of C heads, a port and full recon job ie, machining, valves, springs if needed etc, done recently over there?

I have a friend in Alabama who can ship them to me.

Weighing up my options, and thanks.
Oh, and I want to do it because i can..
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:09 AM

That's a bummer that none of the machine shops in your area have done Olds work.

FWIW I recently spent about $250 to have a set of Ford 5.4L Triton heads "freshened up." They didn't need any valves or seats, just trued, cleaned and checked for damage.

When I had the machine work done on my 455 about 10 years ago I spent quite a bit more (a few thousand for the entire motor). I needed a few valves, all new seats and springs though.

The real bummer is going to be shipping. I wonder if there's a competent Olds machinist elsewhere down under that you could take your heads to?
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:37 AM

It's really kind of a waste for your application.
But with that said, you're looking at about $1800 for a fully ported set of irons. Don't waste that money though, just buy a set of Edelbrocks if you really want to just throw your money away.
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
It's really kind of a waste for your application.
But with that said, you're looking at about $1800 for a fully ported set of irons. Don't waste that money though, just buy a set of Edelbrocks if you really want to just throw your money away.
And not throwing money away would be to buy procomps from you... ?
Just sayin...
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll reinforce what Mark said.

I just had a pair of C heads done for my 67 Delta. No porting work, but hot tank, magnaflux (one had a crack and had to be replaced), install hardened seats on the exhaust side, all new valves (machine for big valves), teflon seals installed (including machining), and assemble with the springs I provided. Cost me just over $1000 for the pair.
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
you're looking at about $1800 for a fully ported set of irons.
Agreed. I had a set of G heads fully redone several years ago and this was the cost including cores and shipping to me in AZ. Shipping to OZ will add a bit to that.

FYI, if you are getting them ported you don't need C castings - any version will work.
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
And not throwing money away would be to buy procomps from you... ?
Just sayin...
For this application that would be a waste of money as well imo.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:35 AM

Okay thanks guys. I was figuring around 1K plus shipping, so I'm in the ballpark and 1000 is considerably less than the quotes I heard here.
I'm not building a race car just a cruiser with a bit extra, but I started buying parts a few years ago and it kinda gained a bit of momentum of its own lol.
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 73aussie455
Okay thanks guys. I was figuring around 1K plus shipping, so I'm in the ballpark and 1000 is considerably less than the quotes I heard here.
I'm not building a race car just a cruiser with a bit extra, but I started buying parts a few years ago and it kinda gained a bit of momentum of its own lol.
Again, my $1K number did NOT include any porting, only a stock rebuild.
Old December 5th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Message 67 Cutlass Freak, the guy who started this thread. He knows the iron heads well and can likely help you out:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...echniques.html
Old December 7th, 2017, 02:56 AM

thanks, I'll pm the freak.
I've been given a line on several options to suit my wallet and needs through the community here already.