What did I do wrong 455 re- gasket and water every

Old September 12th, 2017, 12:22 AM

What did I do wrong 455 re- gasket and water every

So I bought a jet boat with 455 olds looked great on the outside. The guy selling it didn't know much about it and in no was was mechanically inclined. The engine was super clean not a drop of oil anywhere. But he had it for awhile and never got it running. So when I got it home decided to pull it apart, because it was winter time and figured better just ordered a gasket kit and reseal it. I didn't want any problems on the water. Pulled heads, cam, and oil pan it looked brand new inside still had the cross hatch marks. So put it all back together matched the head gasket with old one to make sure I had the right one. The intake didn't have a valley pan but I used it instead. Every thing went fine primed the engine fired up on fist crank.

Then it all went bad seen excessive smoke coming out of valve cover breather then I seen water coming out of the weep holes in the header ran for about a minute. Jet boats headers have water running through them, and the holes let water that didn't make it up the header Escape. But I didn't have any water going to them, the lines were not connected. So I got water in my oil now and water dripping out of my exhaust on cylinder 3 or 5. I have great compression across all cylinders no water in them. I checked the heads and block with precision parallels before I reassemble. If I run water though the engine water drips out the holes even when the engine is not running. Someone please help tell me I forgot something simple. I wonder why it only leaks on one side of the block.
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:14 AM
Administrator

I'm confused as to what you used for an intake gasket. Not 100% familiar with boat engines but doesn't the water circulate through the block and exhaust manifolds?
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:30 AM
Old School Olds

I'm wondering if he forgot to use sealant around the water ports of the intake valley
pan gasket. Also on marine used engines, if they sit with water in them and are susceptible
to freezing, bad things can happen with the blocks and or the heads.
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:02 AM

You may want to be sure the timing chain cover is not pitted with a pin hole where the water pump bolts on. A pin hole here will let water into the crankcase.
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:40 AM

Super clean .. and doesn't know much about it. No better signal to keep walking.
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:12 AM

Yeah should have kept waking but it was so cheap figured cant lose. You couldn't buy the carb for what I paid for the boat. I'm just going to have to pull it back apart the water in the header is what has me wondering. Water in exhaust port but not in the cylinder. I used the metal intake gasket with the valley pan and put silicone around water and lightly around intake ports.
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:42 AM

Old September 12th, 2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Guns
Water in exhaust port but not in the cylinder.
I'm in the same boat (ha!) as oldcutlass and don't know anything about jet boat setups, but that should narrow down the possible fault locations. Perhaps a crack in the head between the exhaust port and the water jacket?
Old September 12th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Administrator

It sounds like the turkey tray gasket didn't lay flat and the bosses were not seated on one side. I this application you may want to just use a set of good aftermarket intake gaskets.