OEM Alternator Bracket - Performer RPM Heads

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 03:59 PM

OEM Alternator Bracket - Performer RPM Heads

Looks like I need to grind off a bit of the oem alternator bracket to sit flush against the front of the cylinder head.

Does that seem right?

Old August 14th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Yesterday I pulled the alternator and power steering brackets off my original 455 and began mocking them up on my new engine (Pro Comp heads). I ran into the same exact thing you did. I'm going to take lots of measurements first, but it looks as simple as grinding part of the flange off the lower side of the alternator bracket.
Old August 14th, 2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrw8i
Yesterday I pulled the alternator and power steering brackets off my original 455 and began mocking them up on my new engine (Pro Comp heads). I ran into the same exact thing you did. I'm going to take lots of measurements first, but it looks as simple as grinding part of the flange off the lower side of the alternator bracket.
I ordered this bracket from BOP Engineering. Supposed be able to mount it low as shown or high, which would clear the power steering pump. If it works, great, if not I'll trim the edge of the oem bracket and won't feel too bad since it didn't cost a ton of money. I can always re-sale it.

Old August 16th, 2017, 08:13 PM

Today I ground down off the lower piece so the bracket would fit flush against the head. Mounted power steering and alternator. The alternator pulley seems to be at a slight angle different from the power steering/water pump/crankshaft. I did not install the rear bracket that connects to the alternator bracket/intake/head. I don't think if it was installed it would make a difference in the angle I see. I'm not sure I have to worry about it either - although I'd like it to be straight.
Old August 18th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mrw8i
Today I ground down off the lower piece so the bracket would fit flush against the head. Mounted power steering and alternator. The alternator pulley seems to be at a slight angle different from the power steering/water pump/crankshaft. I did not install the rear bracket that connects to the alternator bracket/intake/head. I don't think if it was installed it would make a difference in the angle I see. I'm not sure I have to worry about it either - although I'd like it to be straight.
I was able to get the alternator pulley to line up with the power steering, water pump, crank pulleys. I added a thin washer to the center bolt between the alternator bracket and head.

At this point all of the pulleys align much better than they did on the engine that I'm removing.
Old August 18th, 2017, 02:45 PM

That's good to know. I'm working on mine this weekend. I did buy the Alternator bracket from BOP Engineering to see how that may or may not work. I'll update this thread when I make more progress.
Old August 18th, 2017, 06:49 PM