Water pump pulley diameter. Help

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM

Water pump pulley diameter. Help

Hi all, I am putting AC on my 1970 cutlass and have assembeld all the parts for under the hood. I notice that the water pump pulley with the 3 grooves for the AC cars is a smaller diameter than the 2 groove on my non AC car.Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

My guess is so the pump spins faster, in case of a high performance application.

I'm interested in buying your non/ac pulley, if it's for sale.
I have a big giant 3 groove pulley on my race motor right now, and it looks stupid with no A/c or power steering.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by sshriber
Hi all, I am putting AC on my 1970 cutlass and have assembeld all the parts for under the hood. I notice that the water pump pulley with the 3 grooves for the AC cars is a smaller diameter than the 2 groove on my non AC car.Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks
The reason for varying the sizes of the pulleys of course is to obtain the desired drive ratio between the drive unit [the crank] and the driven units- coolant pump, PS pump, alternator, etc. Generally, the AC cars had a thicker radiator, perhaps a different WP impeller, and more heat to get rid of. It's all a delicately engineered balancing act, with lots of time put into selecting all the right matched pieces.

Oh, I too am interested in a 2groove WP pulley, and very intere$$$ted if it'$ $tamped "KA"
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:36 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Hey Scott:
Page 92 Section 6-1 of the Assembly manual gives you the pulley, belt, and generator requirements. The diagrammes show the different Crank and Water Pump pulleys - a setup which drives the water pump at a much greater rate for any given engine speed.