1968 Delta88 455

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2017, 04:00 AM

1968 Delta88 455

Dear all,

Like you can see, I have a 1968 Olds Delta88 455 2door custom coupe.
I am from Belgium en finding parts for this car is a real pain in the rear!!
I would like to do some modifications to my engine en missing some parts.
Parts I am looking for:
Window mechanism FR complete, I have the glass, side gliders and that's it,
are there interchangeble parts from a diffrent model/brand I can use?
Also what I like to change is intake manifold, carburator, can I take the same engine parts from a other 455 engine?
An other change are the headers, I would like to change the full exhaust system from 1 exhaust to a full dual exhaust but I can not find any kit that would fit on my car, would any kit for a 1968 B body fit on my Olds?
Than for the future what I like to do is a disc break convertion, that is the same issue as all the other competents, I can not find anything for my car!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Parts for these cars aren't particularly common here in the U.S., either.

The configuration of the steering linkage makes the exhaust system difficult in these cars. No one sells headers. The factory used a special LH exhaust manifold for dual exhaust cars to clear the steering box. You can buy a reproduction of this manifold.

http://thorntonmusclecars.com/produc...aust-manifolds

Note that factory dual exhaust cars also used a special shift linkage rod to the trans for clearance to the LH exhaust pipe. No one sells this, so unless you can find a used one (good luck with that), you will have to fabricate something.

The actual pipes will need to be either custom bent or purchased from one of the vendors who advertise them.

There are several vendors on ebay who sell complete dual exhaust kits in steel or stainless.

Scarebird sells a disk brake kit.
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by thomas.delta88
Like you can see, I have a 1968 Olds Delta88 455 2door custom coupe.
We really can't see it, but we would be very happy if you posted pictures so that we could see it.

Window mechanism FR complete, I have the glass, side gliders and that's it, are there interchangeble parts from a diffrent model/brand I can use?
Yes, these should interchange with other GM B- and C-Body cars of the same year range, such as Buick Electra/LeSabre, Pontiac Catalina/GrandAm, and Chevy BelAir/Impala/Caprice.

Also what I like to change is intake manifold, carburator, can I take the same engine parts from a other 455 engine?
From another OLDS 455 (or 425) engine, Yes.
From a BUICK or PONTIAC 455, or a CADILLAC 425, NO.
They are all different engines with the same displacement.

... I like to do... a disc break convertion, that is the same issue as all the other competents, I can not find anything for my car!!
Original disk brake parts for this car are essentially unobtainable.
ScareBird is the only company that makes a functional disk brake modification kit, as Joe said.
Before you spend that money, though, remember that the original drum brakes, when properly maintained and adjusted, are completely adequate for this car, so long as you are not racing or towing a heavy trailer in the mountains.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... It seems like we are seeing more of these full size Oldsmobiles in other countries... As previously stated, finding some parts here can be difficult at times, but the hunt for those elusive parts are just part of the drive to preserve the Oldsmobile brand...
Old April 16th, 2017, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. Parts for these cars aren't particularly common here in the U.S., either.

The configuration of the steering linkage makes the exhaust system difficult in these cars. No one sells headers. The factory used a special LH exhaust manifold for dual exhaust cars to clear the steering box. You can buy a reproduction of this manifold.

http://thorntonmusclecars.com/produc...aust-manifolds

Note that factory dual exhaust cars also used a special shift linkage rod to the trans for clearance to the LH exhaust pipe. No one sells this, so unless you can find a used one (good luck with that), you will have to fabricate something.

The actual pipes will need to be either custom bent or purchased from one of the vendors who advertise them.

There are several vendors on ebay who sell complete dual exhaust kits in steel or stainless.

Scarebird sells a disk brake kit.