371 performance parts...

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM

371 performance parts...

Hello All! Nice to find you guys. Im looking for some things for a '57 371 in a '57 Olds 88 4dr. After about 4 years of work I'm actualy driving it. The engine was rebuilt just before I bought it, and runs pretty good actually ( read STOUT) and I'm wondering what kind of speed parts might still be out there. Love to find an intake that would use a standard flange 4v carb,Really would like to find some headers, maybe a bellhousing and clutch kit to convert from the ole' JetAway into modern 5 or 6 spd stick trans. So far I've gone with a entirely new electical system to support such things as electric fuel pump,wipers,Jacobs ignition, power seats from a 01' Caddy, and so on. Ive seen a few J2 setups on e-bay, but I hear you have to be careful to make sure they match the engine as the gap in the valley pan from one head to the other seems to change from year to year, and a nice one is a little pricey if you can find one. You know, maybe the first thing I should ask is how well this 371 would like to be hopped up. I dont know any Olds people( much less Old Olds people )to pick there brains about this old mill. I've heard they've been known to have cam problems(undersized lifters/lack of oil to the cam journals?) I know its a lot to cram into one post, sorry, i'm just kind of pumped about finding this site. So what do you all think Build the original 371, or go with late model (like a 71 or something) 455 that i can still find parts for?? Have I completly made a mess of this post? most likley! Let me know what ya think.
Thnx,
Ric.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Past Administrator

Ric,

Glad to have you with us. Hmmmm, lots of questions and I am not even going to try to hit them all (as if I even had the answers!). First, you did find the premium site for Oldsmobile related talk, information, and all around friendship. I think ROP can probably beat us in the technical area if you stick to the newer rocket engines (post '65 say) but otherwise you won't get any better info than from us. Second, you will probably find some good info here about your questions concerning the 371 as we have more than a few people experienced in engines of that era. I would also recommend a trip over the the jalopyjournal and a visit on their HAMB website. They have a HUGE membership devoted to pre '64 cars and you may score a nice performance item there occasionally if you can't find it here. Third, good decision to move from the jetaway transmission to something else. I dont' know about manual transmissions but you can get adapter plates to use a more modern transmission like a TH350 or TH400, Tanson is a name that comes to mind immediately. Fourth and finally, I like the 455 so would say go with it but know there are people here that think the earlier rockets are great engines and know how to build them. You are right about cost and availability. You might contact 88coupe (Norm) or Joe_Padavano (Joe) or Citcapp (Pat) if they don't comment here. I am sure they can give you better information than I have. Good luck.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Welcome to the site:

Originally Posted by ricdiculus
........ wondering what kind of speed parts might still be out there ........
Not a lot.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm
http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html
http://www.forwhatyouneed.com/tansonp1.html

........ a standard flange 4v carb ........
You will need to get creative. http://www.offyparts.com/product_inf...b767716e5bfa37 would be an option.

........ some headers ........
Relatively easy to fabricate.

........ a bellhousing and clutch kit ........
Refer to the above links.

........ the gap in the valley pan from one head to the other seems to change from year to year ........
Valley stayed the same, from '49 through '64. The deck height changed in '57 and in '59. I wonder why they were not called "small block" "bigger block" and "biggest block".

But, I digress.

Because of the unique deck height, '57-'58 intakes (including J-2) will not interchange with earlier, or later, manifolds.

........ how well this 371 would like to be hopped up ........
No different than any other engine. Depends on your goals, and your budget.

........ they've been known to have cam problems(undersized lifters/lack of oil to the cam journals?) ........
The "problems" started in '49 with that POS "Kettering design" and continued until '65, when it was addressed during the 330/425 redesign.

In other words: Another Internet myth.

........ what do you all think Build the original 371 ........
Depends on your goal, and your budget.

Norm
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Wow!

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the speedy replies!! I think i'm gonna like this site. I have to tell you, I am quite fond of the ole 371, this thing is a tourqe monster, and i like the idea of keeping the original mill, i'm just a little worried about parts as this thing is my daily driver(mostly). I'd hate to lunch a water pump or a distributor as they dont seem to stock that kind of stuff at the local parts houses(go figure). Thats my only intrest in swapping engines. When i first got the car I planned on putiing in a rather hot 454 and a really nice 700r4 because a: i had them and b: the true condition of the 371 was unknown at the time. I had the front clip off, the cherry picker in position, rachet in hand, got under the car and stopped. The factory chassis black paint was still on the frame, it was to nice to hack up( this also woud have been my first attempt at this type of surgery and i was doing it alone). If i every get that bug again, i will hunt down a proper mill(455). But i have to say, I do love a stick car, even more if theres a good v8 in front of it. The jet-Away drives OK but there seems to be a little slippage when you start off in 1st, and an occassional whine out of the torque converter/pump when cold. 1st to 2nd shift is solid, 2nd to 3rd is a bit mushy. This car is really just for street use, it wont ever see a track, but i do like to lean on it a little so i thought about warming it over a bit. This may be a bad idea, but what about a little spray? maybe a 100hp shot? are these blocks known for any problems, or for that matter any strengths in the oiling department or rods/pistons? It wont likley see more then 5500rpm in my app. Sorry guys, i just have so many questions built up over the last couple years, I dont know where to start(or stop ).
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:55 AM

The 371 is a great engine and the speed parts are available as cold war stated so there is no reason to upgrade unless you just want more hp then you can get out of it. I installed a 455 and turbo 400 in my 57 Olds just because I wanted more. In any case its your car and your free to make the choice. Good luck
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM

........ but there seems to be a little slippage when you start off in 1st ........
It was supposed to be there. Purpose of the redesign (Jetaway) was to eliminate the "jerkiness" of the original Hydramatic.

........ 1st to 2nd shift is solid, 2nd to 3rd is a bit mushy ........
1-2 should be so "mushy" that you don't notice it, 2-3 (and 4-3) should feel like a "normal" trans, and 3-4 should be as "mushy" as the 1-2 shift.

"Luxury car" buyers, of the day, wanted "smoothness", and it was Pontiac, Olds, and Cads way of giving it to them.

Norm
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Past Administrator

It is interesting that many people now perceive that as a fault and site that characteristic as a reason they do not like those transmissions. Times and expectations change I guess.
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:21 AM

thanks everyone. I was worried about the trans burning up band/clutches by driving it like this. and funny you mention that 1-2 shift; If i didnt know better i'd swear it was another shift. Are all jetaways 4 spds? The shift quadrent only displays 3 forward gears to choose from, but it dose feel like its got a granny gear. I thought it was a 3 spd with first sliping, but it does seem like there are 3 shifts (granny-1, 1-2, 2-3) I say 'granny' because it seems to make the first shift at 5-7 mph. Is that right?
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:58 PM

........ I was worried about the trans burning up band/clutches ........
There are no bands. The new design replaced them with sprag clutches.

........The shift quadrant only displays 3 forward gears ........
Lo = 1-2
S = 1-3
D = 1-4

........ it seems to make the first shift at 5-7 miles per hour. Is that right?
It is. After about 10 miles per hour, or so, 3.96:1 is too much gear for an engine with that much torque.

Norm
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Well, I think im in good shape with the tranny then. Thanks for the insight. This is the reason why I came here in the first place(not the tranny, but good info that can only come from guys that own/drive them) As soon as i figure it out i will post pics.
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM

cause i dont think thats right.