A/C Brackets

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM

A/C Brackets

Got some a/c brackets off my old 350 sbo. I need pics or diagrams of how to bolt it up to the bbo.
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Are they the AC equipped brackets with the alternator on the drivers side, or the non-AC with the alt. on the passenger side?
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Are they the AC equipped brackets with the alternator on the drivers side, or the non-AC with the alt. on the passenger side?
Ummm, we're talking about A/C brackets, not alternator brackets...
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Oops! guess who needs another cup of coffee this morning

I'll try to snap a couple pictures to post. John
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM

AC brackets

Here's a few shots and I've got several more angles on my photobucket site, to see them click on the link:
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/2blu442/

These are on two different engines, but they're both 1971 455's. One with the compressor attached and one without. John

P1010287.jpg

P1010289-2.jpg

P1010277.jpg

P1010279.jpg

P1010278.jpg
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM

John your the only guy I know who has at least a dozen engines to take pictures of for build details.
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Great pictures. I'm sure they'll help a lot of people out down the road.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Registered

Hey John could you scan that that engine and send it to me? If nobody ties a knot in the cable and it can hold the weight it should make it here with no problem.

My '71 assembly manual shows that on a 455 you use the bolt hole farther out on the compressor end of the stamped bracket that goes from the water pump to the compressor, Otherwise the same as a 350.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM

AC Brackets

It's been fun collecting cars and parts, but if I ever hope to use that end bay of my garage again we need more Olds people in the Pacific Northwest! It's like treasure hunting, when you find something cool in the wrecking yard or on Craigslist there's the excitement in dragging home treasure. But I guess I got a little carried away in the last few years

Bluevista, thanks for adding about the different bolt location. I've never moved a set of brackets from one directly to the other so I didn't picked up on that. If you can figure out how to move engines through the internet I'll give you first pick from the collection
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Well blue i'm sure you getting carried away has benefited plenty of folks. But i don't think those brackets are what i have. I have a pump from a chevy 305 which i'm guessing won't work. The brackets are from a friends sbo 350 but they look like these.....
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:57 AM

AC Brackets

Good morning Charlie Brown. What year of olds engine did you take the brackets from, and what year of car are you putting this in? The pictures I posted are from late 1960's into maybe mid 1970's but the AC compressor in one of the photos in your link looks like the late 1970's and newer. 1976 was the last year Olds used a big block so they may not have used your style of brackets on a 455. I don't know them well enough to say they will or will not fit though. I do have that setup on a 1979 GMC 1/2 used to be diesel now Olds 350. If it would help I can take photos of that and post them this afternoon. So many of the brackets will interchange between the Oldsmobile small and big blocks it may just be a matter of putting them together correctly and holding them up to the engine to see if all the bolt holes are in the right place. John
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Those are the SBO-only 307 style A/C brackets. You will need to do a little welding to get them to fit the taller deck of the 455. Specifically, the bottom holes on the bracket need to have tabs welded to them to move the holes downward. The rest of the bracket bolts to the head and the taller deck height means that the bottom of the bracket no longer reaches the bolts on the block.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Prior to going with this 455 i had a 70-73 350. I could use the pics in order to know how this is supposed to mount up. I was hoping i could find some that would just bolt up though as i have never welded b4. And what car could i pull a compressor out of or could i use the one i have lying aroung off of a sbc 305?
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie_brown
Prior to going with this 455 i had a 70-73 350. I could use the pics in order to know how this is supposed to mount up. I was hoping i could find some that would just bolt up though as i have never welded b4. And what car could i pull a compressor out of or could i use the one i have lying aroung off of a sbc 305?
The 70-73 SBO brackets will bolt directly to the 455. In fact, the 70-73 brackets should look just like the ones in the pictures posted above. Note how they only attach to the head and intake, so they are not affected by the taller deck height. Not shown in these photos is the strap that goes to a stud on the water pump. That strap has two holes to accommodate the two different deck heights, since it spans from the head-mounted brackets to the block.

The SBC brackets aren't even close, since the Chevy castings are completely different from the Olds castings and the mounting bolts are in completely different places (not to mention on the other side of the engine).
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Ok that makes sense. i understand the brackets for the sbc won't go on an olds but its the compressor i have that is from a sbc 305 not the brackets. And i'm possitive that the compressor above and the compressor i have require different brackets.
this is the one i have
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM

AC Brackets

What year/model of car are you working on? You could place a parts wanted ad on this site for brackets and a compressor. But if your car is setup for the style of compressor in your photograph I'm not sure the earlier compressor could use the same hoses. You may need to find someone with 350 or 403 brackets that will work on your compressor. John
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Ok that makes sense. i understand the brackets for the sbc won't go on an olds but its the compressor i have that is from a sbc 305 not the brackets. And i'm possitive that the compressor above and the compressor i have require different brackets.
this is the one i have
There are two problems with the Chevy compressor you have. First, note that it has a flat multi-rib belt. The Olds pulley setup uses normal V belts. The pulley is integral to the clutch on that compressor and not easily changed. More importantly, as shown in the pictures posted above, the only A/C compressor ever factory offered on the BBO is the long A6 compressor. The R4 like the one pictured here was used on the 307s (with the V-belt clutch, not the Chevy multi-rib clutch) but those brackets won't fit the BBO without some modification due to the deck height difference.
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM

DOH! Joe just beat me to the punch-oh well this was what I was going to type:

Some of this I know for certain and some I am guessing at, but hopefully this helps.

The compressor brackets that 2blu442 took pictures of are for an ACDelco A6 A/C Compressor which was a 6 piston axial design compressor. The A6 was the standard compressor in everything made by GM from early 60s to late 70s.

The compressor that Charlie brown has is very likely a Harrison R4 compressor which is a 4 piston radial design compressor. Which lasted GM all the way through the 80's. I think it started showing up in Oldsmobiles around 75 (could be wrong, oh well).

From what I gather they mount very differently, but the brackets you currently have are probably as close as you are going to get for a starting point. I would see what holes - if any - line up and cut/drill/fabricate accordingly...
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Coltonis
The compressor that Charlie brown has is very likely a Harrison R4 compressor which is a 4 piston radial design compressor. Which lasted GM all the way through the 80's. I think it started showing up in Oldsmobiles around 75 (could be wrong, oh well).
Later than that, I'm afraid. The R4 was not used on Olds motors until 1980. That's why there are no R4 brackets for a BBO, only an SBO.

From what I gather they mount very differently, but the brackets you currently have are probably as close as you are going to get for a starting point. I would see what holes - if any - line up and cut/drill/fabricate accordingly...
I thought the brackets he currently has are from a 305 Chevy. If so, there's almost no amount of cutting and welding that will make them work on an Olds. On the other hand, 307 brackets will work simply by welding on two tabs to the bottom two holes of the front bracket. If you bolt the bracket to the head, it will become obvious where the tabs need to go to reach the mounting holes on the block. Again, the Chevy compressor won't work due to the flat multi-rib pulley instead of the V-belt pulley. These are not easily changed as they are integral to the clutch.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Whoa! Ok i've been bogged down with work today so i haven't been able to get to the site until now. But I greatly appreciate all the feed back. Yall must understand how hot it gets here in florida.lol. But yes i have an r4. . .I'm almost positive that it has a v-belt pulley on it. My only concern is with the brackets i have could it be mounted? Or if i go junk yarden and get ah a6 style compressor would it tie in with the a/c system in the 86 442
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

My only concern is with the brackets i have could it be mounted?
You answered your own question back in post #10 in this thread. The link you provided has the necessary info and a picture of the required mod to the brackets:

Old February 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM

I know lol! My original question was did anyone have any pics these brackets bolted up or a diagram of them bolted up
Old January 8th, 2021, 10:36 PM
Olds 496 stroker

If anyone has a picture of these brackets from #10 could you please email them to me I'm not able to view them. I had a 455 olds that had the waterpump mounted bracket on the front and it lined up perfectly with the compressor and was shaped like a "V". I don't remember what the bracket came off of but years ago when I had that 455 I came across a picture on the internet of a BBO with that exact bracket now that I'm needing info on it I cant locate it... Someone took off with that engine & some more part that I had.
Old January 9th, 2021, 07:33 AM

You'll probably have a better chance of a response if you create a new thread. If you think its the 307 brackets you could create a post asking if anyone would share photos of the setup. I'd try putting it in the General Discussions forum.
Old January 9th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Olds 496 stroker

Hey im still trying to figure this computer out, also i found the picture of the bracket that i had now comes the task of getting it identified its the one on the upper left...

i had the ine on the left