Getting close!

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM

Getting close!

Here are some pics of my 455 that I had to rebuild after losing a freeze plug last summer. Bored 30 over, decked align bored, balanced, blueprinted now 468 cubes if my math is correct. My machinist was able to save my crank, eagle h beam rods, new arp rod bolts, saved my ported Edlebrock heads, new springs, new Manley stainless valves, Scorpion roller rockers were o.k., new 3/8 pushrods, new Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam & lifters, L69 AZ factory tricarb manifold with 3 rochester 2g carbs, etc, etc. This motor is going back in my 67 olds 442 convertible, along with a new richmond 6 speed transmission. My hood is currently being reworked to have functional louvers. Stay tuned for pics on this process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN5191.jpg (120.7 KB, 94 views)
DSCN5192.jpg (123.4 KB, 100 views)
DSCN5194.jpg (110.5 KB, 88 views)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM

Jewel of an engine, should be a runner
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Jewel of an engine, should be a runner
Thanks Eric,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Les
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442garage
Here are some pics of my 455 that I had to rebuild after losing a freeze plug last summer. Bored 30 over, decked align bored, balanced, blueprinted now 468 cubes if my math is correct. My machinist was able to save my crank, eagle h beam rods, new arp rod bolts, saved my ported Edlebrock heads, new springs, new Manley stainless valves, Scorpion roller rockers were o.k., new 3/8 pushrods, new Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam & lifters, L69 AZ factory tricarb manifold with 3 rochester 2g carbs, etc, etc. This motor is going back in my 67 olds 442 convertible, along with a new richmond 6 speed transmission. My hood is currently being reworked to have functional louvers. Stay tuned for pics on this process.
Purdy!

Be careful. The alternator bracket you have is designed for two groove pulleys. The three groove pulleys are for the A/C configuration, where the alternator is on the driver's side. It's hard to tell in the photos, but the belt looks a little off in the middle picture. Very nice job, though.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM

Man that looks great! Keep sending us pics!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words! You are absolutely correct about the alternator bracket and the 3 groove pulleys. I had to use this configuration to get the power steering brackets and pump to line up on my motor. Below is a pic before I lost the freeze plug and rebuilt the motor.
Attached Images
058.jpg (91.4 KB, 76 views)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by f-85
Man that looks great! Keep sending us pics!
Thanks, F-85. I will!

Les
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Getting There

That thing is amazing looking !!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Captain of my ship

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words! You are absolutely correct about the alternator bracket and the 3 groove pulleys. I had to use this configuration to get the power steering brackets and pump to line up on my motor. Below is a pic before I lost the freeze plug and rebuilt the motor.
Ok here is a dumb question but how many brackets are there for the power steering pump. My 69-455 had 3 that I removed and Somebody juryrigged a little piece on the small one to attatch to the side. I was hoping to see how it should be set up properly. There is no AC and the alt. is on the passenger side. Anyone got a pic of 3 bracket PSpump that is on the 455?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
car guy

How many times to I have to tell you. I said gold motor and accents!!!

I guess I will let it slide and I will fix it myself. Just make sure it's crated and on the way to my house this week
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Ok here is a dumb question but how many brackets are there for the power steering pump. My 69-455 had 3 that I removed and Somebody juryrigged a little piece on the small one to attatch to the side. I was hoping to see how it should be set up properly. There is no AC and the alt. is on the passenger side. Anyone got a pic of 3 bracket PSpump that is on the 455?
The PS pump brackets are virtually identical on all 68-90 Olds motors. The bracket is three pieces, a large front piece that goes between the pump and the pulley, an "L" shaped piece that goes at the bottom rear of the pump and bolts to the side of the block, and the small piece that connects from the outboard edge of the front bracket to the first exhaust manifold bolt. This last piece is different on the 307s from earlier brackets, as the earlier ones had two sets of holes to accommodate both big and small blocks.

Note that there are also two spacers, one that goes over the bottom stud on the front cover and one that goes between the bottom bracket and the side of the block. These two spacers are there because the same PS pump bracket is used on the Toronado and the front motor mount and differential brackets are sandwiched between the motor and the PS pump bracket in that application.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
EKi

Wow

Amazing looking engine and a great color choice.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Captain of my ship

AH-HA

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The PS pump brackets are virtually identical on all 68-90 Olds motors. The bracket is three pieces, a large front piece that goes between the pump and the pulley, an "L" shaped piece that goes at the bottom rear of the pump and bolts to the side of the block, and the small piece that connects from the outboard edge of the front bracket to the first exhaust manifold bolt. This last piece is different on the 307s from earlier brackets, as the earlier ones had two sets of holes to accommodate both big and small blocks.

Note that there are also two spacers, one that goes over the bottom stud on the front cover and one that goes between the bottom bracket and the side of the block. These two spacers are there because the same PS pump bracket is used on the Toronado and the front motor mount and differential brackets are sandwiched between the motor and the PS pump bracket in that application.
He must have lost one of the spacers , shouldn't be to hard to get
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

He must have lost one of the spacers , shouldn't be to hard to get
Both spacers are about 3/4" thick. The one over the stud on the front cover is thinwall tubular A piece of steel tubing works fine. The side spacer is thicker wall. In a pinch, I've used a large nut that the bolt slips through.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM

Looking good. Nice build are you going to dyno it to get hp numbers?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Past Administrator

Real nice looking engine.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Both spacers are about 3/4" thick. The one over the stud on the front cover is thinwall tubular A piece of steel tubing works fine. The side spacer is thicker wall. In a pinch, I've used a large nut that the bolt slips through.
Thanks for the advice I have a box full of nuts , bolts , washers and maybe a spacer or two.I will figur out something
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Looking good. Nice build are you going to dyno it to get hp numbers?
Pat,
Thank you, and yes, that is my intention!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
How many times to I have to tell you. I said gold motor and accents!!!

I guess I will let it slide and I will fix it myself. Just make sure it's crated and on the way to my house this week
Richard,
At the risk of offending a few people on this board, a stock gold color motor has the same effect on me as fingernails on a chalkboard, i'm not now or will ever be a total purist, not that there is anything wrong with that so my choice of colors had more to do with getting the car back together without having to change a lot of things that had already been painted that color. I actually would have preferred red as my first choice.

Les
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks to Oldsguy, Eki, and Ranzan for your nice comments! Wes, how is your project that you bought from Larry coming along?

Last edited by 442garage; February 3rd, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Captain of my ship

Thumbs up looking good

Richard,
At the risk of offending a few people on this board, a stock gold color motor has the same effect on me as fingernails on a chalkboard, i'm not now or will ever be a total purist, not that there is anything wrong with that so my choice of colors had more to do with getting the car back together without having to change a lot of things that had already been painted that color. I actually would have preferred red as my first choice.

Les
Getting mine back to a red-orange is what I am hoping for. Your motor is looking good , just make sure that when you are all done and have it back in the car you keep extra sunglasses handy for those who want you to "pop" the hood
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM

Getting mine back to a red-orange is what I am hoping for. Your motor is looking good , just make sure that when you are all done and have it back in the car you keep extra sunglasses handy for those who want you to "pop" the hood

I wonder if those 3D glasses that you used for the superbowl ad at the end of the second half would work?

Les
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
car guy

Richard,

Les
Les, I was not clear enough so that went right over your head. Sometimes its hard to portray satire in written words on a message board. That was my way of saying it looks great and it belongs in my car. My engine happens to be gold so the blue would look funny in my red car.

I'm the last person around here to talk bad about someone persoalizing thier car. If you want to start a **** storm with some guys just mension me putting 18" wheels on my car.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Les, I was not clear enough so that went right over your head. Sometimes its hard to portray satire in written words on a message board. That was my way of saying it looks great and it belongs in my car. My engine happens to be gold so the blue would look funny in my red car.

I'm the last person around here to talk bad about someone persoalizing thier car. If you want to start a **** storm with some guys just mension me putting 18" wheels on my car.
Richard,
kind of like the joke about the roof, it went way over my head!! Thanks for the clarification.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
car guy

Richard,
kind of like the joke about the roof, it went way over my head!! Thanks for the clarification.
I think I either missed or forgot about that one. What was that about.

BTW what valve covers are those. The way you did the color between the ribs the the same think I am going to do with mine.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Registered car nut

I actually would have preferred red as my first choice.
Les
Thinking about red myself when I swap in my (now blue) 455
I painted a 283 in my ol 67 El Camino red and it looked so much better than orange. Some ol timers said "that must be a 50's something to be red" Uh no, VHT spray can

BTW looks awesome !
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Captain of my ship

Smile

I wonder if those 3D glasses that you used for the superbowl ad at the end of the second half would work?

Les
Going to have to get me some cause I think I am going to do the valve covers and breather in a metallic blue.
Bruce
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is absolutely gorgeous... !!! Man you would think it was a centerfold the way i was drooling over those motor pics... absolutely Killer!!!!!!!!!!

Please keep us posted with pics...
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM

I think I either missed or forgot about that one. What was that about.

BTW what valve covers are those. The way you did the color between the ribs the the same think I am going to do with mine.
Richard,
Those are Offenhauser valve covers, good looking with a nostalgia "old school" appeal, but have no internal baffles, no biggie, you can put your own in, these are not cheap!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
car guy

Richard,
Those are Offenhauser valve covers, good looking with a nostalgia "old school" appeal, but have no internal baffles, no biggie, you can put your own in, these are not cheap!
I have a set I bought about a year and a half ago. Not Offy's but still not cheap. They will go on the big motor when I build it.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Boy dats purdy!!!
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Beautiful work!
I love the detail on your engine AND in your engine compartment!
Super-neat firewall.

I'm in the process of restoring a couple of tri-power set ups,
so I'm a little bothered by the blue carbs, but, then I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the tri-power.
It DOES go very nicely with the rest of your blue scheme.

Again, beautiful job! I hope it runs as good as it looks.
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Getting There

442Garage I haven`t got alot done on the car this last while have had my hands full with the rest of life..I have surgery on my shoulder coming up and am not looking forward to sitting around for the next few months.....
I think you probably know my car it was actually a pretty clean body but the interior was garbage I gave away most of what I could but even that wasn`t in that great of shape
I have the buckets and mounting brackets console shifter floor shift column new Black panels new dash and cover couple of motors and trans.
I still need to get a carpet and headliner for it and other misc stuff... I`m at the point now where I need to get going on it otherwise I will never get it finished
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Wow! That's beautiful! And it's my favorite color too.Great job!
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I love the painted carbs. Nice touch. Love the color too. Just be prepared to repeatedly answer the question "is that a Pontiac motor?".
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

That's also a nice cassette tape collection you have. I haven't seen that many in one place in quite some time
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice looking engine! When you post the dyno numbers, you also need to post a video of the engine running so you can get us all excited!