Recommendations for dwell meter

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:52 AM

Recommendations for dwell meter

Well, my old Sears analog Tach/Dwell meter seems to have finally bitten the dust. Looking for recommendations on a replacement. Everything seems to be digital now and included in a multi-function multi-meter arrangement. None look to be as useful as the analog which showed everything together on the single gauge face. Oh, well. Thanks in advance for any tips. I only use this once or twice a year so I'm not looking to break the bank. I also don't want to waste money on a cheap piece of junk. Something in the $40-60 range looks realistic.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:01 AM
69 Cutlass S

Im looking as well. Not a huge fan of cheap Chinese multimeters either, need to find a old analog simpson.
But if anyone knows a reliable digital affordable dwell meter, id be interested.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've found you can find quality used US-made units for peanuts on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Most people who formerly used them now no longer need them. I got a complete Sun tune up kit in case for only a few bucks that way.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kar-Check-E...oAAOSwE0BgEIMs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-KAR...AAAOSw5T5fwIMN
Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked over eBay and other places and see a lot of old testers. The only thing that bothers me is that these things are just as old (or older) than my Sears meter. I've had that for 30 years and have always taken good care of it but the old electronics just wear out and at that point, you're really left with no alternative other than to throw it away. I can't see spending $30 on an old meter that might bite the dust at any time (especially after shipping!) when I can pick up a digital meter for ~$40. As mentioned above, I only have the need for it once or twice a year. If the next one lasts 20 years it'll probably outlast my ability to buy replacement points!
I see an Actron unit on Amazon for $42 but it looks like I'll need to get the inductive coil separately for the tach to work.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Interesting. I still have my old Sears Tach/Dwell meter that I have had for probably 45 years and it still works great. It may be the same one you had. It has Made in The USA right on the front of it. If it died it would be like losing and old friend. I still have it in the taped up box it came in along with the instructions. I used it recently on my 54 Olds when I changed the distributor to a 56 model which has external adjustment points.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Interesting. I still have my old Sears Tach/Dwell meter that I have had for probably 45 years and it still works great. It may be the same one you had. It has Made in The USA right on the front of it. If it died it would be like losing and old friend. I still have it in the taped up box it came in along with the instructions. I used it recently on my 54 Olds when I changed the distributor to a 56 model which has external adjustment points.
I was going to say, the Sears Tach Dwell Meter that I bought new in the early 1970s still works. I'm curious what solid state components "wear out". It's not like this meter gets used 8 hours a day, five days a week. You probably connect it what, twice a year, maybe?
Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vintage chief
each time i see your user name a number comes to mind 6.02214076 × 10ê23
:d
:d
Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Each time I see your user name a number comes to mind 6.02214076 × 10ê23
At least he's not the mole.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Each time I see your user name a number comes to mind 6.02214076 × 10ê23
I'm having bad college chemistry flashbacks .....lol

FWIW I have this one and I've done just about everything to it except drop it into the fan with the engine running and it still works fine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38391814412...hoCpHwQAvD_BwE

Last edited by allyolds68; February 2nd, 2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:55 PM
69 Cutlass S

We made our own multi meters in basic electronics class, as I recall there’s not much to them.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 03:53 PM
72 Olds CS

Take apart the old one, give ita good visual inspection. Many times you will find some damage related to stress, a broken wire or cracked solder joint. Easy to repair and your gtg for another 40 yrs
Old February 3rd, 2021, 09:01 AM

I have my father's Sears System 20 my older brother got him for Christmas way back. My brother used it a lot on his cars then me on my cars. It all still works. I keep the set in the original box.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 10:45 AM
69 Cutlass S

That looks good for $39, plus they always have coupons. How long has it lasted? I’ve bought a few cheap Chinese multimeters and it’s about 50/50 if they last 2 years.
Old February 4th, 2021, 10:01 AM

So an update: I decided to pull the Sears meter out of its original box and play with it one more time to be sure it was dead before pulling the trigger on a replacement. Lo and behold, it worked! Smooth and steady. Not sure what the problem was last time I used it. Maybe I chose poorly for the ground. Thanks for all the feedback. Crisis averted.
Old February 5th, 2021, 10:18 PM

I have an old Sears inductive timing light that I thought was dead but had left it in the bottom drawer of my tool box 'cause I couldn't bring myself to throw it out.. Finally took it out and took it apart and found the wires were broken right at the housing where they flexed the most when I wrapped the wires around it. I cut the wires at the break and re-attached them to the internal contacts. Three inches shorter and it works just like new. Did the same for the Sears battery charger that I inherited when my Dad passed. The wires are the weak point of these old tools so take a good close look at the hard flex points and they can often be repaired easily.