Oil Pan question.

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2021, 07:58 PM

Oil Pan question.

This oil pan was on my 455. The engine was pulled to do complete inspection and evaluation. This oil pan had obviously been repaired and I elected to replace it. When ordering a new oil pan every book we looked at did not match this oil pan. The question is what oil pan is this? This is a replacement engine on a 442.
Old February 8th, 2021, 11:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

That's a Toronado pan, the old-school way to get a little extra oil volume. Today, it's good for a planter. The downsides of the Toro pan outweigh the minor additional volume. Just get a repro BBO pan with the internal baffle and matching pickup.
Old February 9th, 2021, 05:12 AM

I have often wondered if it would be beneficial to cut the bottom out of a stock pan, and weld in the sump from another identical pan, matching the depth of the Toronado pan. That would give you the benefit of even more oil capacity of the Toronado pan, without the front hump for half shaft clearance. This would require the specific Toronado oil pump pickup.

Seems to me that if someone was really careful with the measurements and accurate cutting the 2 pans, and can weld the thin metal without leaks, then you would have a cheap high capacity pan.

Irrelevant to this thread, just a thought.
Old February 9th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I have often wondered if it would be beneficial to cut the bottom out of a stock pan, and weld in the sump from another identical pan, matching the depth of the Toronado pan. That would give you the benefit of even more oil capacity of the Toronado pan, without the front hump for half shaft clearance. This would require the specific Toronado oil pump pickup.

Seems to me that if someone was really careful with the measurements and accurate cutting the 2 pans, and can weld the thin metal without leaks, then you would have a cheap high capacity pan.

Irrelevant to this thread, just a thought.
I've seen a few of those homebuilt deep pans. The problem is that you then need to fabricate a custom oil pickup tube and ensure it's at the right distance from the bottom of the sump. How's your xray vision these days? The aftermarket has lots of 7qt Olds pans with matching pickups available.

And just for the record, this photo shows you exactly what the problem is with a Toro pan. Notice that on the OP's pan, someone has at least taken the time to hammer out the notch.

Old February 9th, 2021, 06:12 AM

That was my suggestion to copy the depth of the Toronado pan, but with the full sized sump of the stock pan. The stock pan has a sump maybe 8 inches square, but only 8ish inches deep? ( just guesstimate). The Toronado pan is much deeper (10-12 inches?) but also much smaller in width.

My thinking, cut just the bottom out of a stock pan sump. Cut another stock pan, this time up high, where the sump meets the relatively flat part of the pan. With some careful measurements, weld the 2 together so the 8 inch square sump is the same depth as the deeper Toronado pan. Use the Toronado oil pickup tube. Now you have the much deeper 8 inch square sump.

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Hopefully I have explained my “brilliant” idea in a way that someone can understand my garbled thoughts.

Or maybe my brilliant idea is in fact stupid, which might explain why it’s not more common. I suppose there is a reason for all those fancy aftermarket pans are sold.
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Or maybe my brilliant idea is in fact stupid, which might explain why it’s not more common. I suppose there is a reason for all those fancy aftermarket pans are sold.
My point is that your idea IS common. Yeah, this is a BBC pan.

Old February 9th, 2021, 06:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

And for those wondering, this is why the Toro pan is shaped the way it is.

Old February 9th, 2021, 06:44 AM

Man, that Toro has got gas, exhaust, and brakes back there.

I suppose you could straight edge the top of the pan and measure to the bottom of the sump, then build pickup to be appropriate distance from the pan mating surface boss on the block, plus add gasket, to get the right distance.
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:04 AM

I saw this on Thorntons fakebook page the other day. It's their own new design, 6 1/4 qts. Plus they have everything for sale right now!

Old February 9th, 2021, 06:36 PM

Being the computer genius I’m not, somehow a comment was transferred to a slightly different thread.
Gentlemen thank you, especially Joe for your quick answer to my question.