oil galley plug

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2021, 05:55 AM

oil galley plug

I remember reading about specific oil galley plugs, alongside the cam sprocket. Since my engine came in multiple boxes, along with a variety of nuts, bolts, pipe thread plugs, and such, what should I look for, and any specifics on where or how to install them? (different right and left sides?, teflon tape? pipe thread sealant?, Loctite?)
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:48 AM

Note position of plugs in front, they are different sizes, can’t mix them up. Any appropriate sealant if you choose to use it, just keep it in the threads. (Pic courtesy of Christian)

Threaded plug, with orifice, in rear for distributor oiling is located under Welch Plug.

Last edited by bccan; November 1st, 2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:49 AM

If you are talking the front two, they are different size, and only fit one way. I use nothing on them, especially locktite. If they do leak a little,they are inside the engine cover.
Old November 1st, 2021, 07:58 AM

Thanks! didn't even know what they should look like. I thought they might be the allen key type!
Old November 1st, 2021, 08:24 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

That rear plug by the distributor is a tapered thread pipe plug with .040"orifice and if original is usually square internal.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 03:21 AM

Is the rear plug between the block and the transmission? I have had a low oil pressure problem for some time and I have the transmission out now for replacement, This would be a great time to fix this if it is the problem. I had the engine rebuild about 1500 miles ago.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:11 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Mustfire, The rear plug is on the driver's side at the end of the left side oil gallery inside the block just in front of the distributor. To access this plug you must remove both a soft plug just to the left of the camshaft soft plug and the distributor. You should be able to see it through the distributor hole in top of block with distributor removed and good light; an inspection scope may help. There is also a thread in plug to seal the right side oil gallery at the very back of the block on the passenger side; this plug will have no weep hole.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mustfire
Is the rear plug between the block and the transmission? I have had a low oil pressure problem for some time and I have the transmission out now for replacement, This would be a great time to fix this if it is the problem. I had the engine rebuild about 1500 miles ago.
Both galleys have plugs in the back.

The passenger side galley has a NPT plug that's exposed to the bellhousing. Any problems there and it sprays oil all over the flexplate/flywheel and transmission.

The driver side galley has just a freeze plug in the back of the block. Right behind (towards the front of the engine) that is the distributor drive gear. And behind that is the actual galley plug which needs a small hole to spray oil on the distributor gear. If that just leaks, then, well, it just leaks oil in the engine. If it doesn't have a hole then the distributor gear doesn't get enough lube and will chew itself apart. If it's missing entirely then you won't build oil pressure at all. That's a 1/2" diameter hole.

So, very unlikely the galley plugs are a cause of "low" oil pressure.