No fuel to a 394

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2022, 11:17 AM

No fuel to a 394

Hey all!

My 63 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 quit running a couple months ago however I think I've narrowed down the problem to the fuel pump. I pulled the line off the carb and sure enough no fuel then I checked the filter and it was clean. Am I correct to assume that its probably the pump? Where's the best place to order a new or refurbished pump? I'm in Canada so its a little more tough but any info . I am aware of swapping it to an electric pump but I wanna keep it original for the time being. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old July 23rd, 2022, 11:39 AM

Where to buy, sorry but I don't know.

This diagnostic method is incomplete but off to a good start. Before condemning the fuel pump, is there fuel getting to the pump? I'd try connecting a rubber hose to the pump and placing the other end in a gas can that is a safe distance from the car and retest.

Have to ask...is there DEFINITELY fuel in the tank? Don't rely solely on the gauge. Tap on the tank, does it sound empty? Add a couple of gallons to the tank in case the pickup sock is partially clogged.

Good luck!!!
Old July 23rd, 2022, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 394Kid
Am I correct to assume that its probably the pump?
It MIGHT be the pump. It MIGHT be a bad fuel line between the tank and the pump. It MIGHT be a clogged inlet sock inside the tank. Before spending the time and money to replace the pump, I'd temporarily run the inlet line to the pump from a gas can and see if it sucks fuel from that. If it does, the problem is not the pump. Be aware that it might take a while of cranking the engine to reprime the pump and fill the carb before the car will start.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 12:35 PM
Oldsdruid

If it's the original rebuildable fuel pump, several companies offer rebuild services using ethanol-resistant materials- and since a lot of fuel pump diaphrams in that time were more or less heavy paper, ethanol fuel will ruin an old-stock pump quickly, like in a hundred miles or so. Ask me how I know this...

You may be able to order a rebuild kit and fix the pump yourself. Rebuild process is in the factory Chassis Service Manual.

Double check your rubber fuel lines at both front and back of the car. Rear runs from the fuel sender, thru the rear frame rail over the axle and connects to metal fuel pipe just ahead of the right rear wheel. Front runs from fuel pump back thru the front frame rail and connects to metal line just behind the right front wheel. They're not difficult to pull thru the frame rails but a factory air conditioned car will have a return line that can be a PITA to pull both rubber hoses thru at the same time. A dish soap solution or a rubber lubricant like RuGlyde helps there.