New 461 need some advice

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2019, 06:54 PM

New 461 need some advice

I just got my engine back from the builder and i need some input on the finishing touches. I have the Melling oil pump and i put in the pink spring should i also shim it? Should i do any port work on the Torker intake before installing it? I have the MSD pro billit distributor how should i set up the timing curve?
The engine is a 461 with forged rods, Wisco pistons, fully ported iron heads from J&S machine, Bullet solid roller with .611 lift 240 248 at .050 10.1 compression, torker intake, Holley HP 850 carb.
I am also looking at changing up my air cleaner set up and i will be switching to mandrel bent 3 inch exhaust but I haven’t decided on mufflers yet.

Old May 7th, 2019, 08:52 PM

What about a Victor? You have the heads and cam size to actually use it, and I have one for sale now(hint, hint)!

If you stay with the Torker, you definitely need to port it and work it over, or it will be the big limiter to your combo, which looks awesome, by the way! Congrats on your build!

As for the advance curve, you will have to see how detonation tolerant your combo is with the octane and type of gas you decide to use. I would go with light springs on both weights to try and get as much advance as possible without detonation when rolling into the throttle, and all in by 3,000 rpm with a max advance of about 32 degrees. If you hear detonation with this, go with one medium and one light spring. Otherwise, power tune for the best E.T. by messing with your timing for the quickest E.T. and best MPH.
Old May 8th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Actually he does not have the cam size. Take about 8 to 10° off of that solid roller to make it equal to a hydraulic roller. It’s not that big at all.
And i don’t know why people don’t tell others to buy a wideband FIRST! Forget the timing for now, you have to make sure your jetting is at least close first. Otherwise you’re asking for trouble. Buy a wideband!

Last edited by cutlassefi; May 8th, 2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:28 PM

I don’t have the hood clearance for a taller intake. I do have a wideband, i would like to set up the distributor before the engine goes in the car as it will be a lot easier. Notice I didn’t ask for advice on jetting as the wideband will help me with that.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Good for you, smart move on the wideband.
Dont rely on the springs to give you exactly as described, they’re normally off a little. Just get it close, jet it right, then go from there.
Remember if you’re running typical gasohol(10% ethanol) you’ll need to lower your target air/fuels by about a half of a point from normal.
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:07 PM

Any thoughts on shimming the oil pump?
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
Any thoughts on shimming the oil pump?
Just get the pink spring from Melling.