Lifter selection for 455

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2021, 08:13 AM

Lifter selection for 455

I did some recent upgrades and now have problems of burning oil and losing large amounts of oil.
New changes: New cam (Flat hydraulic, mild performance), lifters (sealed Power HT951), push rods, roller tip rockers, oil restrictors (to cam bearing passage), Ford 460 neoprene rear main seal, umbrella valve seals.
After adding the new hardware, I noticed constant oil burning from both sides and losing lots of oil, noticeable from valve covers and puddled at flywheel cover. It doesn't appear to be flowing from the rear main seal. I did some reading on this site and I'm pretty certain I was getting too much oil under the valve covers. I could see oil puddled in intake valves. I've since replaced the pushrods with new restricted pushrods which made a significant difference but I still have some burning oil (much less) with oil loss.from valve covers. After several valve cover gasket changes (cork and rubber), applying both light and heavier torque to valve covers, then new valve covers..... I don't think its just bad valve cover gaskets or deformed valve covers.

I am wondering about the lifters. I have new sealed power HT951. Has anyone used these? Has anyone experienced the same issues and found that a different lifter solved the problem? What lifters are known to be good for oil flow (not too much)? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old October 7th, 2021, 09:05 AM

if you can see oil on the back side of the valves with the intake manifold off you have a intake manifold gasket leak.
Old October 7th, 2021, 09:23 AM

I would also check the oil return (drain) holes in the heads to see if they could be plugged.
Old October 7th, 2021, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldaman
if you can see oil on the back side of the valves with the intake manifold off you have a intake manifold gasket leak.
Or a bad valve guides or seals. And get rid of those lifters if possible, they’re Chinese.
Old October 7th, 2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldaman
I hadn't thought about that, I've replaced the intake gasket once since this problem started. Problem the same after with second intake gasket. I thought the oil under the valve cover got so high, it pooled around the top of the valves and leaked into the valve chamber. I should have mentioned the oil drain holes are clean. The oil drain hole thru block has been cut-out and widened and the gasket at the drain hole was drilled out slightly too.
Old October 7th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by stevdak
I hadn't thought about that, I've replaced the intake gasket once since this problem started. Problem the same after with second intake gasket. I thought the oil under the valve cover got so high, it pooled around the top of the valves and leaked into the valve chamber. I should have mentioned the oil drain holes are clean. The oil drain hole thru block has been cut-out and widened and the gasket at the drain hole was drilled out slightly too.
Old wives tale. Block off the drainbacks and pour two qts of oil in each valve cover and tell me what it looks like.
That’s not your problem.
Old October 9th, 2021, 04:14 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll do more investigating next weekend. Definitely a head scratcher for me, didn't have these issues prior to the latest mods.
Old October 9th, 2021, 06:10 AM

Cutlassefi - You said that's not my problem. You're saying that oil pooling under valve cover is not my problem....is that correct? By blocking drain holes and adding oil, I'll get oil on backside of valve if the valve guides are bad....is that correct? I want to make sure I'm following your point and what I should be looking for. Thanks for the advice.
Old October 9th, 2021, 07:43 AM
Duh

No he is just being pompous.

What he is trying to to tell you about is the myth that you can pump all your oil into the valve covers. The fact is you can't. Another fact is that if the returns are plugged you can put a significant amount of oil in the vale cover. Actualy enough to get the level above the valve guide. This is if the drains were 100% clogged.

Since I'm not there first hand and you have listed more than one problem I recommend working on one at a time. You tried to stop the oil leak from your valve covers and I'm not sure that you did. With all the gasket changes and new covers you think it would have stopped. If it hasn't it's not the valve covers. I would check the back of the intake, especially the corners. If it's leaking there you need to fix it correctly by removing the intake. At that point you can check for other intake leaks.

My ultimate advice is find someone experienced that can actualy look at it with you to give advice.

Best of luck

Last edited by Duh; October 9th, 2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old October 9th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback
Old October 9th, 2021, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevdak
Cutlassefi - You said that's not my problem. You're saying that oil pooling under valve cover is not my problem....is that correct? By blocking drain holes and adding oil, I'll get oil on backside of valve if the valve guides are bad....is that correct? I want to make sure I'm following your point and what I should be looking for. Thanks for the advice.
Correct. I see this on the internet all the time, “ I think I’m pumping my pan dry!”, I think I have too much oil in the top!”.
Don’t know if it’s ever been the real cause. My bet is you have guide/seal problems.