L2323F Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2021, 10:17 PM

L2323F Pistons?

I'm seeing L2323F pistons branded TRW, Speed Pro and Sealed Power. Are they all the same product?

While the price is attractive they don't seem to be highly regarded and prone to failure?
Old March 29th, 2021, 03:48 AM

I believe they are all the same, owned by federal mogul.They were once a popular rebuilders piston until many new designs came out .The mere mention of them here now will send cringes up the spines of builders . I used them in my 455 street build mostly due to budget constraints .I haven't had any issues with them as of yet.
Old March 29th, 2021, 06:53 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

As Deadeye said, they are a good forged rebuilder piston; the "F" in the part number denotes forged. They are made to replace the stock piston without major rebalancing issues and use the stock ring size in most cases. Since they are forged, they are advertised as being stronger than the stock piston. They have been around at least from the mid 1960's so are outdated by today's standards but still will work fine. New design pistons will be lighter and have more recent piston ring selection as well. I have used both the TRW and SpeedPro brands of which I have seen no difference and had no problems with. They are not prone to failure but do require slightly more piston to wall clearance than advertised.
Old March 29th, 2021, 07:24 AM

I have used that piston many times over the years. They are a durable piston, but as mentioned outdated. They can’t be all that bad, they have been around for 50 years. There is just much better options available. Unfortunately, those better options are more expensive.
Old March 31st, 2021, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 67OAI
As Deadeye said, they are a good forged rebuilder piston; the "F" in the part number denotes forged. They are made to replace the stock piston without major rebalancing issues and use the stock ring size in most cases. Since they are forged, they are advertised as being stronger than the stock piston. They have been around at least from the mid 1960's so are outdated by today's standards but still will work fine. New design pistons will be lighter and have more recent piston ring selection as well. I have used both the TRW and SpeedPro brands of which I have seen no difference and had no problems with. They are not prone to failure but do require slightly more piston to wall clearance than advertised.
I have a set of these in my 455 engine, I built it 40 years ago and it still runs strong , I am looking at doing a rebuild in the near future and was thinking of these pistons again. What are considered better option by today standards? And why?
Old March 31st, 2021, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 67OAI
I have a set of these in my 455 engine, I built it 40 years ago and it still runs strong , I am looking at doing a rebuild in the near future and was thinking of these pistons again. What are considered better option by today standards? And why?
Old March 31st, 2021, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by tator62
I'm looking forward to hearing from experts on your questions too!

From what I've been able to pick up so far, the L2323 pistons sit a bit further down in the cylinder which would mean making up for it elsewhere if you're going for higher compression. The ring kit selections also sound more limited, but I'm not sure how important that is yet. From the specs I've seen, they weigh about 100g more than other currently available products if reducing the weight of the rotating assembly is part of your goal.

Wiseco pistons seem to be around $250 more than the Speedpros. Keith Black pistons are about $120 more, give or take.
Old April 1st, 2021, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by tator62
The newer stuff (Icon, Wiseco, SRP,) are made from better, more stabile materials (either 4032 or 2618) and most have better, thinner ring packs.
Hope this helps.
Old April 1st, 2021, 11:41 AM

mine are 35 years old drive it like i stole it every time i take it out have dozens of 1/4 trips on them
Old April 1st, 2021, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldaman
mine are 35 years old drive it like i stole it every time i take it out have dozens of 1/4 trips on them
👍😎
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:34 PM
rad

they're an older design for sure, a little heavy, old ring pack, I used them in mine but I'm not trying to wring out every bit of power out of it either, but for a person looking for a better piston than cast but doesn't want to spend a fortune they're good you have to run more piston to wall clearance then the others which is another thing to think about.