Holley Sniper / Hyperspark EFI installed...

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2020, 07:17 AM

Holley Sniper / Hyperspark EFI installed...

So, I bit the bullet and ordered the whole enchilada.....Sniper Q-Jet - Hyperspark ignition system - OEM fuel pump on a stick.

I've been waffling on this for a couple of years......but, the car isn't a show car nor is it all original so it wasn't a case of embracing natural aspiration for it's own sake. That said, as the CEO of All Thumbs Automotive, I didn't have any serious issues with the stock setup and I've gotten pretty handy with a vacuum gauge and a screwdriver but the lure of turn the key and go was pretty darn tempting. The big hangup was cost.

Anyway, the install (I had OS Performance here in town do the work for me) is pretty straightforward with a couple of exceptions. Everything installs pretty easy....and pretty much everything is in the box with the exception of fuel lines. Now, just a me being me guy, we replaced all the fuel lines and clamps. They say you can retain the hard lines but in for a penny in for a pound.

The OEM fuel sender / pump thing is pretty cool. No return line required which is pretty neat because my car didn't have one to start with.

The only real hiccup we ran into is electricity which precipitated a higher amp alternator........

So, I've been driving it a couple days and so far so good. Turn the key and it fires right up. Throttle response is MUCH improved......obviously, just a couple days into it but so far, no problems.

Pictures forthcoming....

Cheers,

Troy

Last edited by troyd; September 13th, 2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 13th, 2020, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by troyd
.That said, as the CEO of All Thumbs Automotive, I didn't have any serious issues with the stock setup and I've gotten pretty handy with a vacuum gauge and a screwdriver

Troy

Glad it worked out for you but had you tuned your carb correctly I’m confident you wouldn’t have seen much of a difference between a $300 carb and a $1500 throttle body system.
Sorry but it still amazes me how people think you can take a carb, any carb, bolt it on, set the idle speed and mixture, and say you “tuned it”. Amazing.
But again glad it’s better than it was.
Old September 13th, 2020, 05:33 PM

...looking where I said I was an "expert" at anything......nope, didn't say it. Anywhere. Didn't allude to it. Not once. What I said is that I've gotten better d at adjusting air/fuel screws and reading a vacuum gauge.

I wasn't "looking" for anything except perhaps better cold starting, reliability and generally "turn key and go" use.....but, since it's my car and my money, I can pretty much do what I want. What a country.

So, please, feel free to pound sand and keep your doucher-riffic observations to yourself. I'm all about poking fun at myself but I don't need to be insulted, either.

I thought I'd share my story and a couple of pics, as the install of this system is actually pretty straightforward......but, perhaps I'm in the wrong place.

Cheers,

Troy

Last edited by troyd; September 13th, 2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old September 13th, 2020, 05:41 PM

And I’m doing the same. The effort you put into is what you get out of it. Tuning the idle with a vacuum gauge is such a small part of the overall tuning process, that’s exactly the point I wanted to make. I’m sorry if you took offense to it. The bottom line is you could’ve possibly saved some money and gotten similar performance results.
Look at my signature, I’m an EFI fan. But I’m just trying to educate no matter what you’re using.

Last edited by cutlassefi; September 13th, 2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old September 13th, 2020, 05:57 PM

So, WHY I wanted an EFI system really isn't germane to the whole conversation because at this point, it's fait accompli....but, if it's required, here goes.....I look at it as future-proofing. I like to DRIVE the car. I own two restaurants so free time is at a premium and if I've got a choice between driving the car or dicking with the car....I'm going with the former. I'm just not a tinkerer. So, an EFI system seemed to kind of fit that niche. That said, I cast no aspersions on folks who DO like to work on their own cars for it's own sake...in fact, I have great respect for those that do. It's just not my thing, I don't have the interest or the aptitude. If that's flawed logic, so be it.

That said, it's TOTALLY possible to have said your piece without sounding like a world champion peckerwood.......trust me, I have it on GREAT experience that you can deal with folks with lesser knowledge and make a point without being insulting. I'm sure it wasn't your intent but that's how it came across.....

So, no harm, no foul. If you ever find yourself in Charleston SC, I'm good for a burger and a cold beer for any Olds enthusiast. And you can laugh at me all you want.

Cheers,

Troy

Last edited by troyd; September 13th, 2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old September 13th, 2020, 07:06 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Glad you got a noticeable improvement and no issues. A few have actually ended up with new issues with the Sniper EFI, would **** me off. I too really like the direct replacement fuel pump. Man, Cutlassefi has been taking a **** kicking on here lately while everyone ignored Velcropro who belittles everyone, go figure. Everyone is on edge these days, enjoy your car, the whole point of owning it.
Old September 14th, 2020, 04:29 AM

Can’t we all just get along?? 😎😏
Old September 14th, 2020, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by troyd
So, WHY I wanted an EFI system really isn't germane to the whole conversation because at this point, it's fait accompli....but, if it's required, here goes.....I look at it as future-proofing. I like to DRIVE the car. I own two restaurants so free time is at a premium and if I've got a choice between driving the car or dicking with the car....I'm going with the former. I'm just not a tinkerer. So, an EFI system seemed to kind of fit that niche. That said, I cast no aspersions on folks who DO like to work on their own cars for it's own sake...in fact, I have great respect for those that do. It's just not my thing, I don't have the interest or the aptitude. If that's flawed logic, so be it.

That said, it's TOTALLY possible to have said your piece without sounding like a world champion peckerwood.......trust me, I have it on GREAT experience that you can deal with folks with lesser knowledge and make a point without being insulting. I'm sure it wasn't your intent but that's how it came across.....

So, no harm, no foul. If you ever find yourself in Charleston SC, I'm good for a burger and a cold beer for any Olds enthusiast. And you can laugh at me all you want.

Cheers,

Troy
Thank you for the explanation and offer. I may take you up on that. Again no disrespect intended. Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2020, 06:03 AM

I’m glad you had better luck than me with the sniper Stealth 4150. I couldn’t get it to run. Either wouldn’t start or would randomly shut off. I ended up sending it back and getting the Terminator X Stealth 4150. That install went perfect. Started right up and ran great. I also did the hyperspark setup for timing control. I love it so far.
Old September 14th, 2020, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Thank you for the explanation and offer. I may take you up on that. Again no disrespect intended. Thanks!
Please do take me up on the offer!

Again, I barked when I shouldn't have. As I get older, I seem to get grumpier.....and, great point, we have these things to enjoy them. My enjoyment is riding with my wife and/or dog with the top down (or up and the AC on here in the summer) to relax. And, if you haven't seen an English Bulldog's jowls flap in the wind, you are missing out on one of life's funniest sights.

I totally get the frustration with the prevailing attitude to throw expensive parts at things that don't need it or to try and mask other underlying issues that have nothing to do with the money/parts being thrown at and wasted. Totally get that.....and the gent I barked at IS an knowledgeable and helpful guy, so I was totally in the wrong.

Basically was what I was alluding to is that the car, as-is, ran pretty darn good and minor idle air/fuel adjustments I was able to deal with and while I know what I mean, sometimes that doesn't mean everyone else does.

Ok, that said.....day 3. Still no issues. Turn key. Go. What a country!

Cheers,

Troy

Last edited by troyd; September 14th, 2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old September 14th, 2020, 05:24 PM

Please more details on performance and MPG
Old September 14th, 2020, 07:25 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by bw1339
There have been performance improvements on some cars but I yet to hear any mileage improvement over a properly tuned carb which is disappointing.
Old September 14th, 2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
There have been performance improvements on some cars but I yet to hear any mileage improvement over a properly tuned carb which is disappointing.
The main reason for that is because most don’t let the ECU control spark. Big oversight.
Old September 15th, 2020, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by bw1339
Again, my barometer for success being ease of use and drivability: Like the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building.....every floor he passed, the folks heard him say "so far, so good"

Now, I'm not a performance guy. From my general understanding, a properly tuned carb will yield better HP and all that. I'm just looking to turn the key, back out of the garage, put it in "D" and go on about my merry way. After a few days, that seems to be the case.

Mileage? Now, I don't have anything scientific here but with the carburetor, I was getting, oh, 12ish around town. 15, maybe even better on the highway. I have run it all weekend and do seem to be getting better mileage. I'll run a tank and do the math but again, initial observation, I ran around all weekend and still have gas in the tank. So, more to follow on that.......

We are taking off for a two week road trip the first of October.......Charelston SC to Maine and then back via Gettysburg PA, Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville NC and then back to Charleston. I'll definitely have more to add then.

Cheers,

Troy
Old September 15th, 2020, 11:28 AM

Troy,
Glad to see your post with the spread bore EFI. I am doing the same system on my 350 just like you for the same reasons. I have a few questions for you. After typing in the initial settings did you have to adjust any other parameters? Did you have to adjust anything mechanically on the throttle body? Where did you end up installing your Hyperspark box? I am assuming on the driver's inner fender. I am assuming you installed the throttle return spring up front in order to keep the throttle bracket from twisting on the mounting stud. I was going to add a shim between the bracket and the throttle body and use the bracket to hold the sprind. Are you still using the heat riser valve in the factory driver's exhaust manifold? From looking at your intake I am assuming you have not blocked off the exhaust cross over passage. Are you using the factory 195 degree thermostat, or have you went down to a 180 degree thermostat. I have been told fuel injection needs at least a 180 degree thermostat.

Thanks,
Noel
Old September 15th, 2020, 11:34 AM

It won’t start learning until it reaches 160* that’s all.
Old September 15th, 2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Noel Anderson
Troy,
Glad to see your post with the spread bore EFI. I am doing the same system on my 350 just like you for the same reasons. I have a few questions for you. After typing in the initial settings did you have to adjust any other parameters? Did you have to adjust anything mechanically on the throttle body? Where did you end up installing your Hyperspark box? I am assuming on the driver's inner fender. I am assuming you installed the throttle return spring up front in order to keep the throttle bracket from twisting on the mounting stud. I was going to add a shim between the bracket and the throttle body and use the bracket to hold the sprind. Are you still using the heat riser valve in the factory driver's exhaust manifold? From looking at your intake I am assuming you have not blocked off the exhaust cross over passage. Are you using the factory 195 degree thermostat, or have you went down to a 180 degree thermostat. I have been told fuel injection needs at least a 180 degree thermostat.

Thanks,
Noel
Noel,

No, just typed in the initial settings and that's all I've done (again, I had OS Performance here in town actually do the work...). Everything bolted right up with no real massaging, bending or anything else. Really, the TBI was pretty much plug and play. The Hyperspark box is on the firewall. It all fits, had to move the vacuum tank a little bit....and it's a little crowded but it does all fit.

Since I put the Champion radiator in a few years ago, I've run a 180 thermostat every since....

Cheers,

Troy
Old September 15th, 2020, 01:02 PM

Troy,
Thanks for sharing your experience with the forum. I've installed quite a few of the new SNIPER systems and several of the Hyper Spark ignition components on old muscle cars as well including my 650 HP BBC Chevelle. The reliability and consistency of the drivability is much more desirable for many of us. I've been rebuilding carbs for 30 years but love the ease of just getting in the car cold or hot and just going. No longer are you dealing with heat soak, vapor locking, chokes, accelerator pumps, ethanol clogging various carb components, and etc. It's a great upgrade in my book and one that I'll be installing on the 442 resto that I'm in the middle of finishing now. I'll be going with the in-tank pump, all Hyper Spark ignition components and the Q-Jet style SNIPER throttle body unit.

Also---BTW---I run 165* thermostats in the ones I've been doing and the computers have learned just fine. The longer you drive them the more they adapt, learn, and perform!

Of all the cars I've installed them for people on...it's funny---no one ever came back and said--"Can I have my carb setup back"? Enjoy!

Last edited by 442Dude; September 15th, 2020 at 01:05 PM.