help , coolant leak near back of the engine

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
oldsmobile newbie

Unhappy help , coolant leak near back of the engine

Last night i came back from an hour cruise with the 65 dynamic 88 (425cid) and when i parked in the driveway i noticed an antifreeze leak . But it didn't seem to come from the front of the engine , more near the back of it near the oil filter.. what do you think it is ? cracked block ?? any ideas ??
i will tonight after work try to lift the car and take a better look under .. or should i start it let it warm up and see where it leaks from. i do not want to damage it more so please advice to the best course of action
Old July 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 65topless

Last night i came back from an hour cruise with the 65 dynamic 88 (425cid) and when i parked in the driveway i noticed an antifreeze leak . But it didn't seem to come from the front of the engine , more near the back of it near the oil filter.. what do you think it is ? cracked block ?? any ideas ??
i will tonight after work try to lift the car and take a better look under .. or should i start it let it warm up and see where it leaks from. i do not want to damage it more so please advice to the best course of action
Does the car have A/C? Most likely would be the heater control valve that screws into the rear passenger side corner of the intake manifold, almost directly above the oil filter. I just finished replacing the one on my 307 this afternoon. Failing that, look for heater hose leaks, and failing THAT, look for a rusted freeze plug.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
oldsmobile newbie

Smile thank you thank you thank you

Alls those problems sounds good , well better than the cracked engine block i had envisionned..
i put the car on ramp tomorow and check all those and i hope it's as simple as a loose hose
i will keep everybody posted as what the problem was ..
denis
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:09 PM
http://a4.l3-images.myspa

Im having the same problem as the op. I wish he would of kept us posted as to what the problem was.
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I was going to say freeze plug as well Joe.
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator

With the car warmed up and the cooling system pressurized, coolant leaks are pretty simple to track down. A flashlight and an inspection mirror helps too.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:34 PM

The freeze plug on the head could be the problem as they are on the end of the head facing towards the back of the block, other wise it may even be a leaking head gasket and more rare a leaking manifold gasket. Hope you find it!
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Heater core comes to mind. Hoses are by far more likely- perhaps just a loose clamp. Then maybe a freeze plug. Why would the block be cracked? Did it freeze or overheat severely?