Head and intake combo for 455

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Do Damage

Head and intake combo for 455

My current project is a 455 going into a 67 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Short block consists of Mondello nodular crank with .010 on main & rod journals and reworked rods. Pistons are L2323.060 All have been balanced. Comp Cams XE-268H cam and Cloyes double roller. High volume Melling oil pump with no restrictors in the main oil gallery stock pan. Chrome moly steel distributor oil pump drive shaft. Crankshaft windage and valley tray installed. Comp Cams High Energy pushrods and lifters. All Clevite bearings.
I have big valve ‘C’ heads that have had some chamber work done. Mondello heat crossover block-off plates. Rockers are Comp Cams roller tips on screw studs and guide plates.
Intake manifold is a Edelbrock Performer. Distributor is HEI with MSD upgrade module, coil and wires. Fuel will be supplied by a Fitech Go Street EFI rated at 400hp.
Exhaust is handled by Thornton big block factory fit headers to 2.5” mandrel bent X-pipe and Hooker Aero-chamber mufflers.
Drivetrain is 200-4r to 10-bolt with 3:55 gears and Powertrax traction system.
This was going to be the original plan for the engine then came along a pair of Edelbrock 6051 heads with Crane Cams roller rockers and Torker intake.
My question is are the Eddy heads and Torker to much for this cam? Use Eddy heads with the Performer? Use ‘C’ heads and the Torker? Stick to original plan of Performer and ‘C’ heads and shelf Eddy heads and Torker for another build?
All this came about when the 455 originally came with an RV cam, Q-jet and W-X exhaust manifolds. Built the car around that set up then the need for speed, on a budget came about I know this was long winded so thanks in advance for your time.
Old May 9th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Do Damage

Here is the spec card for the cam and the ‘C’ heads.

Old May 10th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Use the Edelbrocks, Performer and a different FITech. That one is too small, even for your original combination.
Then if you can, return the cam if it’s not been used. With the Edelbrock heads you’re better served to having more lift
Old May 10th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Do Damage

Thanks for your response cutlassefi, I was wondering if I’d be getting the most out of those Eddy heads with that cam. Now the Fitech being small is a surprise. I called the tech line and they said it would be enough for the engine in the original configuration as long as it doesn’t go over 400hp which I thought it wouldn’t because I considered this a mild performance upgrade, but torque on the other hand...
I always wanted to build a stroker so I’ll probably put the Edelbrocks on that when the time comes. The cars been on jack stands for two years now and summers coming time to get it back on the road. Thanks again for the info.
Before the rebuild.
Old June 20th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Do Damage

[QUOTE=67CSConvert455;1094729]
Thanks for your response cutlassefi, I was wondering if I’d be getting the most out of those Eddy heads with that cam. Now the Fitech being small is a surprise. I called the tech line and they said it would be enough for the engine in the original configuration as long as it doesn’t go over 400hp which I thought it wouldn’t because I considered this a mild performance upgrade, but torque on the other hand...
I always wanted to build a stroker so I’ll probably put the Edelbrocks on that when the time comes. The cars been on jack stands for two years now and summers coming time to get it back on the road. Thanks again for the info.
Before the rebuild.

I found this article on the web:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...-engine-build/
Their build is very similar to the one i’m currently doing.
I upgraded the 400hp Go Street to the 600hp Easy Street.
hopefully I can accomplish the same power numbers as the article.

I still have the Performer manifold just in case.

Just got the heads and intake back from the machine shop
Old June 20th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Do Damage

[QUOTE=67CSConvert455;1103653]
Originally Posted by 67CSConvert455
Before the rebuild.

I found this article on the web:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...-engine-build/
Their build is very similar to the one i’m currently doing.
I upgraded the 400hp Go Street to the 600hp Easy Street.
The power numbers in the article are what I want to accomplish.

I still have the Performer manifold just in case.
Also I upgraded the lifters to Lunati Micro-Trol 71951
& pushrods to Manly chromoly 29506

Just got the heads and intake back from the machine shop
Old August 19th, 2018, 09:25 AM

The FiTech system usually prefers a single-plane intake. Might want to double check with them. Not sure you'd notice it but the engine will be a lot happier.
Old August 19th, 2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oyler85
The FiTech system usually prefers a single-plane intake. Might want to double check with them. Not sure you'd notice it but the engine will be a lot happier.
I used one on a small block RPM, no issues.
Old April 24th, 2019, 06:27 AM

Did you have to modify header if not what is part number for those headers much appreciated
Old March 29th, 2024, 07:00 PM
Do Damage

Originally Posted by fixxur
Did you have to modify header if not what is part number for those headers much appreciated
Sorry for the late response. I did not have to modify the headers in any way to make them fit my car. I purchased from Thornton on EBay. Bought back in 2017 and don’t have a part number. I think they discontinued this header. Stripped off the paint and used POR-15 high temp coating then wrapped them.

Last edited by 67CSConvert455; March 29th, 2024 at 07:03 PM.