Flywheel Issue

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2021, 09:23 PM

Flywheel Issue

Long story short, when I had my engine done I received a 0 balance flywheel back somehow. My engine is not internally balanced so this is an obvious issue. Is there a plate or something I can use in pair with the 0 balance flywheel to achieve the correct balance? Or am I stuck having to buy a new flywheel? Thanks in advance.
Old December 27th, 2021, 06:20 AM

Just to check - flywheel for a manual transmission, or flexplate for an automatic?

Every external flexplate I've seen has a welded-on weight.

*Some* flywheels use a bolt-on weight. Do you know the specific flywheel? I bought a cheap one just for use on the dyno that used a bolt-on weight. My engine is internally balanced, so I just took off the weight and threw it into a drawer .... somewhere. Would be funny if yours is the same one!

Did you supply a flywheel to the shop? The whole assembly has to be balanced together and while there is a "spec" it's certainly best to use the parts that were there for the balancing.
Old December 27th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The machine shop should have provided a balance sheet. Mine did, ask for it, it should have the weight added and the final balance weight.
Old December 27th, 2021, 10:20 AM

Owen,
First of all, what engine is it ??

Did you supply a flywheel to the machine shop to use with the assembly when they balanced it ? You really need to find out what they did before you buy anything. Are you absolutely certain the flywheel you have is internal balance ? Are you sure they did not internally balance the engine ? Can you post a picture of it, especially the side that goes towards the engine ?

I really think you first call should be to the machine shop.