Factory Published Olds Head Chamber Volume Typically Correct?

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2020, 04:45 PM

Stock Olds Head Chamber Volume

EDITED VERSION

Are the chamber volume sizes that are usually quoted, typically correct, or do they normally measure larger or smaller? I know on Pontiac stuff, alot of the time, the chamber volume will actually measure larger than what is normally quoted, but I wasn't sure about Oldsmobile. The heads I have a 1969 "C" heads, and people usually quote them as being 80cc. They are currently at the machine shop, but I will measure them when I get them back to be sure, but in the meantime I was just wondering.

Last edited by Transam461; February 11th, 2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old February 11th, 2020, 05:10 PM

ball park but remember, surfacing them will make chamber vol smaller, valve job could make them larger so better off checking them.
Old February 11th, 2020, 05:29 PM
69 Ol' Blue

Originally Posted by 1970greensupreme
ball park but remember, surfacing them will make chamber vol smaller, valve job could make them larger so better off checking them.
ive heard they range from 80-82cc's. I just got my 69 442 C heads cc'd today and they are 80.
Old February 11th, 2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Transam461
Are the Factory Published Chamber Volume size typically correct, or can they vary larger or smaller? I know on Pontiac stuff, alot of the time, the chamber volume will be larger than what was published, but I wasn't sure about Oldsmobile. The heads I have a 1969 "C" heads, and they advertise them as being 80cc. They are currently at the machine shop, but I will measure them when I get them back to be sure, but in the meantime I was just wondering.
Published where ? Who is "they" ? 80 cc's sound about right for "as manufactured" and volume observed by others with original cylinder heads.
Old February 11th, 2020, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Published where ? Who is "they" ?
Exactly what my thoughts were. I have a set of G heads that measured in the 82-85cc range and "supposedly" they are 80cc as-cast.
Old February 11th, 2020, 07:06 PM

Published where ? Who is "they" ? 80 cc's sound about right for "as manufactured" and volume observed by others with original cylinder heads.
Just about everywhere, doing a quick search on google, most Olds websites list the 67-69 Oldsmobile "C" Head as having an 80cc Chamber, in FACTORY form. Thats what I was refering too...

Last edited by Transam461; February 11th, 2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old February 11th, 2020, 08:08 PM

Just about everywhere, doing a quick search on google, most Olds websites list the 67-69 Oldsmobile "C" Head as having an 80cc Chamber, in FACTORY form. Thats what I was refering too...
#1. Your thread specifically says "Factory published". That says to me.......Oldsmobile factory/engineering. Googling "Olds websites" would be excluded.
#2. If you are using web sites as a standard, that would point to a measured "observation". Something posted on the internet isn't always accurate.
#3. What if I told you Oldsmobile published head volume spec's for (455) 1968, 1969 H/O and 1970 W-30 as being 69.75 cc's ? I can just about bet you none ever came from the factory with those numbers.
#4. The 80 cc's you are quoting is merely an observation of heads as manufactured. You only need to remove .005" from a 455 head to change the volume 1 cc.
I hope I helped clear things up.
Old February 11th, 2020, 08:26 PM

#1. Your thread specifically says "Factory published". That says to me.......Oldsmobile factory/engineering. Googling "Olds websites" would be excluded.
#2. If you are using web sites as a standard, that would point to a measured "observation". Something posted on the internet isn't always accurate.
#3. What if I told you Oldsmobile published head volume spec's for (455) 1968, 1969 H/O and 1970 W-30 as being 69.75 cc's ? I can just about bet you none ever came from the factory with those numbers.
#4. The 80 cc's you are quoting is merely an observation of heads as manufactured. You only need to remove .005" from a 455 head to change the volume 1 cc.
I hope I helped clear things up.
No kidding, I know exactly how all of this stuff works. I guess I shouldn't have said "Factory Published". I was simply asking if the Oldsmobile heads were usually close to the normal 80cc that is "quoted" for the factory "C" head, or if they had a reputation of being either "Larger" or "Smaller" than what is normally "quoted". I am huge into Pontiacs, this is my first Olds, and the normal for Pontiacs, are most head chambers measure "Larger" than what is normally quoted, depending on which head is in question. I didn't realize I would start such a big stink over something so simple. The Olds crowd sure is a lot tougher than the Pontiac crowd Lol.

Last edited by Transam461; February 11th, 2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old February 11th, 2020, 09:02 PM

I fixed the Title as well as the description, so that future people don't get confused. Thanks to everyone who has replied.
Old February 11th, 2020, 09:09 PM

No kidding, I know exactly how all of this stuff works. I guess I shouldn't have said "Factory Published". I was simply asking if the Oldsmobile heads were usually close to the normal 80cc that is "quoted" for the factory "C" head, or if they had a reputation of being either "Larger" or "Smaller" than what is normally "quoted". I am huge into Pontiacs, this is my first Olds, and the normal for Pontiacs, are most head chambers measure "Larger" than what is normally quoted, depending on which head is in question. I didn't realize I would start such a big stink over something so simple. The Olds crowd sure is a lot tougher than the Pontiac crowd Lol.
I wasn't trying to be harsh. When people come here saying "I heard", "on another website", "on Facebook", etc. they are quoting things that may or may not be accurate. "Quoted" is an observation from someone. A valve job can increase volume as Fun71 pointed out and reduced if the heads are resurfaced (milled). How much variance are you talking about ?
I am sure Pontiac published head cc and other specs that varied from what is observed on parts people have.
Old February 11th, 2020, 09:25 PM

I wasn't trying to be harsh. When people come here saying "I heard", "on another website", "on Facebook", etc. they are quoting things that may or may not be accurate. "Quoted" is an observation from someone. A valve job can increase volume as Fun71 pointed out and reduced if the heads are resurfaced (milled). How much variance are you talking about ?
I AM SURE PONTIAC PUBLISHED HEAD CC AND OTHER SPECS THAT VARIED FROM WHAT IS OBSERVED ON PARTS PEOPLE HAVE.
That's ok, it's all good. Emotion is undetectable on forums and text messaging, and sometimes people take things the wrong way, like I did above. Sorry about that. I do understand the valve job can gain a cc or two, and also the rule of losing 1 cc for every .005" of head milling is usually pretty accurate. The last sentence that you included above, is essentially why I ask this question, except I was asking if what Olds Published was accurate, compared to what people actually observed them at, in factory form of course, no milling, no valve job.
Old February 12th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Gary

...I was asking if what Olds Published was accurate...
Heads generally have larger volume than published to make sure the compression ratio doesn't exceed rating AFTER the heads (and/or block) are milled during a rebuild. This is not just a Pontiac/Oldsmobile thing.

During the horsepower wars of the 1960s, people milled the heads severely to get to the factory volume in order to improve their quarter-mile times. During teardowns, NHRA checked chamber volume to ensure it wasn't below factory specs.
Old February 12th, 2020, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by VC455
Heads generally have larger volume than published to make sure the compression ratio doesn't exceed rating AFTER the heads (and/or block) are milled during a rebuild. This is not just a Pontiac/Oldsmobile thing.

During the horsepower wars of the 1960s, people milled the heads severely to get to the factory volume in order to improve their quarter-mile times. During teardowns, NHRA checked chamber volume to ensure it wasn't below factory specs.
Thank You
Old February 12th, 2020, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by VC455

Excellent information.
Old February 13th, 2020, 05:15 AM

My D heads CC'd at 82cc even though Olds published the volume at 69.75.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:25 PM

pretty much all the heads i have dealt with , they all measured 84 to 85 CC's. Of course i did not do any "D" or "F" heads. But B's, C's, E's, G's and Ga head were all at least 84 CC's.
I just machined .025 off a set of "E"'s and they are now 80CC's
I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is what I have found.

Gene
Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
pretty much all the heads i have dealt with , they all measured 84 to 85 CC's. Of course i did not do any "D" or "F" heads. But B's, C's, E's, G's and Ga head were all at least 84 CC's.
I just machined .025 off a set of "E"'s and they are now 80CC's
I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is what I have found.

Gene
Thanks. I just got my 1968 "C" heads back from the machine shop, and measured them with my CC kit. They previously had ".020" stamped in the deck of each head(before taking them to the machine shop). I had the machine shop do a valve job on them and resurface them to clean them up to make sure they were flat. I measured them and they now come in at 76.5 CC. I'm not sure how much the machine shop took off them, but I know it was just enough to clean them up, so not much.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:40 PM

I measured them and they now come in at 76.5 CC.
I would be very happy with those numbers.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I would be very happy with those numbers.
Most definitely happy. They will have right at 10.0-1 on the 455 we are building with the 18cc Speed Pro piston, block Zero Decked, and the .039" Felpro gasket. The heads have mild pocket porting, and will be running the Erson TQ50 camshaft and matching Springs that I bought from Mark, so it should make some decent power on pump gas Im hoping
Old April 3rd, 2020, 02:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

This comes up a lot. First, the chamber volume for mass produced heads will vary, typically by 2-4 cc, just due to manufacturing tolerances. Second, the numbers published in the NHRA blueprint specs are the minimum allowed chamber volumes for stock-class cars based on submitted manufacturer's design data. These numbers, which are the ones typically quoted in books and other resources, are not as-cast, and are definitely not what you would have seen had you pulled the heads from a brand new motor and checked them. These are the minimum volume you were allowed to mill the head to and still qualify as "stock". Olds heads as delivered were nearly always larger than the blueprint numbers. This was done intentionally - in a mass production environment you want to be sure that a part made at the extremes of the allowable tolerances would still function. Heads with larger than blueprint chambers would work just fine on a production car, but if the heads were too small, the engine would be subject to pinging and thus warranty repair work. Also, after half a century, you have no idea if one head that you have in your hands has ever been worked on. Has it been milled? Have the valves ever been cut? Unless you took delivery of that car from the factory, you don't know what was done to it. Any post-delivery engine work could have changed the chamber volumes somehow.