Engine smoking badly, then bent pushrod

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2022, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 71cutlass350
Recently bought a 1971 cutlass s with a 455. The car was repainted 5 years ago and then soon after the guy died and the car has pretty much sat since then. When I bought the car it ran ok but didn't idle great and wouldn't run for very long. Brought the car home and got it to idle by itself, but holy christ does thing smoke. It pour out white smoke with maybe a hint of blue out of the passenger side exhaust only. There was no antifreeze in the oil so I figured it was either stuck rings or a valve problem. I bought some Marvel Mystery Oil and dumped 1qt in the gas, emptied a 1qt of oil and added 1qt of Marvel Mystery Oil to the engine oil, and then while running I poured some down the carb hoping if it was the rings this might break them loose. I let it run for a while and then started revving it up to see if that helped but no luck. After that I shut her down and did a compression test on all the cylinders but #8 because of the damn ac box. #1-160 #2-150 #3-120 #4-160 #5-150 #6-20 #7-130. So obviously #6 was my problem cylinder. Before the night was over i started it up one more time and while running there was a pretty bad clicking noise coming from the passenger side valvetrain but didn't think to much of it. Next day pulled off the passenger side valve cover and wouldn't you know one of #6 cylinders pushrods is so bent i cant even get the damn thing out of the block, all most feels like is bent 45 degrees or more. Im thinking that something was stuck and when i added the marvel oil it broke free when i was revving it hard and bent the pushrod.
My questions are what would cause the pushrod to get bent and would that problem have anything to do with the smoking. Im planning on pulling the intake for sure and maybe the head, what should I look for and what at the very least would need replaced. Sorry for the long winded post but id appreciate the help. Thanks
so a bent pushrod would also make white smoke not just head gasket an that is super ez to fix just make sure its the exact size an if not adjustments can be made
Old January 23rd, 2022, 11:53 AM

I did not spend the time to read all of these post. I had the same problem with a car I bought. Old owner tried to start the engine with old gas. It did not start and the old gas accumulated on the valves. After giving up on getting it started he let it sit. The gas on the closed valves glued them to the head. When I tried to start it, it "zeed" all of the push rods on the "stuck" valves. HTH