DCM- Thermal Vacuum Switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Frankenstein 442 owner

DCM- Thermal Vacuum Switch replacement

Purchased a non-NOS switch, AC Delco # 212-582 to replace my defective TVS. Three ports are marked as follows: Top #1, Middle ‘D’, Bottom #2. Certainly not DCM...

Does the ‘D’ stand for distributor, which is middle, not top? Or should it be hooked up according to CSM?

Old December 7th, 2020, 07:56 AM

Is that the TPP switch? My guess, knowing how they work inside, is you hook it up the same as the original. A 7-year old Chinese girl probably mad the mold for the plastic top and mixed up the letters.
Old December 7th, 2020, 08:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

D is Distributor (vacuum advance can)

Whichever of the other two is normally open to the distributor port goes to the ported vacuum tap on the carb. The other one goes to manifold vacuum. Yes, that's different from how the OEM valve is plumbed, but if you think about it, the port orientation on that new valve makes more sense. The actuator inside is just a spool valve that moves up and down depending on the temperature. Having the middle port be "common" simplifies that a lot. I frankly never understood why the OEM valves were so convoluted that way.
Old December 7th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
D is Distributor (vacuum advance can)

Whichever of the other two is normally open to the distributor port goes to the ported vacuum tap on the carb. The other one goes to manifold vacuum. Yes, that's different from how the OEM valve is plumbed, but if you think about it, the port orientation on that new valve makes more sense. The actuator inside is just a spool valve that moves up and down depending on the temperature. Having the middle port be "common" simplifies that a lot. I frankly never understood why the OEM valves were so convoluted that way.
I was leaning that way. if they had been labeled 1,2,3 I may have thought differently. Thank you
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:29 AM
Running On Empty

D is Distributor (vacuum advance can). Whichever of the other two is normally open to the distributor port goes to the ported vacuum tap on the carb. The other one goes to manifold vacuum. Yes, that's different from how the OEM valve is plumbed, but if you think about it, the port orientation on that new valve makes more sense. The actuator inside is just a spool valve that moves up and down depending on the temperature. Having the middle port be "common" simplifies that a lot. I frankly never understood why the OEM valves were so convoluted that way.
I was in a state of conundrum when I looked at this valve and reviewed the OEM style (which I removed on my '71 CS) before I elected to pass on making any statements regarding the OP's valve body. What you're saying makes so much more sense than the OEM valve. It's most likely easy to assume the part didn't come with any discernible instructions, as well I'll bet.
Old December 7th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I was in a state of conundrum when I looked at this valve and reviewed the OEM style (which I removed on my '71 CS) before I elected to pass on making any statements regarding the OP's valve body. What you're saying makes so much more sense than the OEM valve. It's most likely easy to assume the part didn't come with any discernible instructions, as well I'll bet.
No, and none to be found on the Interwebs either.
Old December 10th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

UPDATE: I hooked carb to #1, distributor to ‘D’, and manifold to #2 and the idle is much better, no more crazy vacuum advance from the bad OEM TVS unit.

My distributor weights may be sticking a bit, so I am going to get rid of the Pertronix and replace the entire unit with a different points distributor. That should get rid of any remaining unwanted ignition advance that I’m seeing.
Old December 10th, 2020, 02:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

OEM contact point distributors work great in these cars - just saying.
What, are you trying to usurp my curmudgeon title?
Old December 11th, 2020, 02:55 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

What, are you trying to usurp my curmudgeon title?
I’d say you were safe there...
Old December 11th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

OEM contact point distributors work great in these cars - just saying.
Getting back to my roots really. WTH is an OBD port anyway?
Old December 11th, 2020, 03:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Why are you asking about an OBD port?
I think that was a rhetorical question.
Old December 11th, 2020, 04:25 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Yes, I am "Thick As A Brick" (Jethro Tull).
Now you’re talking!

I appreciate your piece on OBD, but I admit my comment was tongue in cheek. My last ride was a 2013 Ford Focus ST and I used to tune the ECM by updating it through the ODB II port using a hand held device from COBB.

Interesting though, how the state uses the port as well to check regulatory compliance through emissions inspections.
Old December 11th, 2020, 05:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ThaDeuce
Interesting though, how the state uses the port as well to check regulatory compliance through emissions inspections.
That's just a testament to how much telemetry the OBD II system has. Contrary to what many people think, the old dynomometer-based exhaust sniffer tests are not accurate verifications that your car meets emissions standards. They are just spot checks at one or two RPM ranges, and based on that and the visual inspection, the state ASSUMES that your car is compliant. That's really the only practical way to do it, since a real test requires many miles of driving under a wide variety of conditions. OBD II monitors the car continuously while you drive, and matches RPM, speed, gear, temp, etc to emissions system performance to verify compliance over the entire range of operating conditions. That's why if you clear the codes on an OBD II system, you have to drive it at least 50 miles under specific conditions before you can get it tested by reading the data stream. As an example, the O2 sensor downstream of the catalyst is only there to allow the system to monitor cat performance - it has no real function in the operation of the EFI system.
Old December 11th, 2020, 05:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thankfully the Godfather brought it to my attention.
That's CURMUDGEON to you.

Hey, you kids get off my lawn!